Popular Tags: [View All]
Zap Riecken
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've assembled five guys to start a campaign with the hopes that we're all in it for the long haul. So to prevent a long wait time that comes with having each player decide their faction and their starting bonus I was thinking about letting them bid for it. Since there are 10 coins I was going to give each player two coins and then have the two spare randomly assigned. I would post all the details about the different factions and their two starting choices. I would do rounds of bidding: Players get one initial blind bid on which faction they would like. Uncontested bids are won outright, contested get a second round to rebid (either the same or a new unclaimed). And so on and so on... the winner gets the faction, the loser gets the gold.

Granted you only get the faction for the first game, but you get to choose their bonus.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We just did turn order for the first game. First player chose his faction and starting power, second player chose from the remaining, et cetera. The fifth faction was unclaimed, so we just made a group decision on which power that faction should get.

It seems like bidding is sort of unnecessary, especially if everybody is bidding with the same number of coins. At that point, it's just a roundtable discussion of who wants which faction. It might make it more interesting to say that they get to keep the unspent coins to play with during the first game, but if that were the case, I would just bid zero, take whichever faction is left over, and start the game with a (huge) two coin advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sousa
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're making it too complex. Why would it be a long wait time to choose a faction and power?

If you're worried about people overanalysing things, make them choose their first faction without knowing any special abilities at all. They just choose them based on the name and quick description. Then when they get that faction they decide which of the two powers they want.

Or, before you even set up the first game, have a group vote for each faction's power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zap Riecken
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the idea was that those factions which were desired would be fought over with the winner getting the faction and the loser getting the ability to effect the board by being able to control more of where they gold gets applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sousa
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, are you talking about the coin stickers you put on resource cards before the first game? There are actually twelve of those, not ten. There are ten Coin resource cards.

That's not so terrible, although it seems to me that if you're worried about time, running an auction will be pretty time intensive.

Honestly, without spoiling anything, don't fret too much about the choices you make before the first game. Their impact is about 1% as important as the choices you will make as you play games and open the packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it! The rules just say "in a mutually acceptable fashion" for how all that is distributed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.