Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Following on from my 'Six questions about buildings' and 'Six questions about employees', here are my six four questions about contracts:

Q1. When you use 'With Employment Agency' (or 'With Real Estate Agency' or 'Design Agency'), can you take an Employee (or Building or Design) from anywhere within the discard pile, or just from the top? Can you take from the top of the draw pile instead? Can you search through the discard pile before deciding what to take?
---

Q2. Is there something missing from the 'With Freelance Designers' card? Both sides have the same card symbol on them, yet the rules explanation says there is a limit of 1T once the contract has been extended. Should there have been a symbol to remind you of this on the card?
---

Q3. When using 'With Sales Representative', why would you buy cubes from the Warehouse or Import, when they are cheaper from the Local Producer? (And the limitation of 1 cube only from the Warehouse also does not apply.) The contract says that no Q tokens are gained ... so ther appears to be no point using anything bu the Local Producer. Or am I missing something?
---

Q4. Is it necessary to adjust your monthly maintenance costs/income track when using 'For Furniture Store Interior Design', since these appear to be one-off changes in income? Why not just take 3 money in October and 9 money in November. Otherwise you have to put your income up 3, then up a further 6 (for a total of 9), and then down by 9 in December. What am I missing?
---
Answers appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having now played a 3-player game with my wife and 21-year-old son, I now have more questions about contracts...

Q5. When using 'With Audit Company', is the building sold for $2 or $4? The rulebook states $2 but the card shows $4.
---

Q6. (Not strictly about contracts, but...) At the end of a Fashion Show, each player hands back any Q, T, and PR tokens that are NOT on designs that were not presented or on permanent contracts, buildings, or employees. But what if the player did not score for one of those features? Do the tokens still have to be returned.

Say Red had 6Q, Blue 4Q, and Green 2Q. Does Green still have to return his 2Q even though they scored him no points? Could he choose not to use those Qs with the collection presented at this Fashion Show?

I think I know the answer to this .., but I want to be sure we played it right.
---

Q7. (Also not about contracts...) Just to be doubly sure: can a collection contain more that one design of the same type (e.g. a collection with 2 Trousers in it in the Boho style). Or are collections limited to different designs of the same style?
---

Q8. Does 'With Sales Representative' only allow the player to take coloured cubes from the Local Producer (Area 6), as implied by the icon on the card? And NOT from the Warehouse or Import, as stated in the rulebook.
---

Q9. Depending on the answer to Q8, if the player can take cubes from the Warehouse, can he really only take 1 total cube (as stated in the rulebook). Why would he do that, when he can get more from the Local Producer? Did the rulebook mean to say he can take a maximum of 1 cube of each available type?
---

Answers would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Huyler
United States
Central Texas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
All these answers are from my interpretation of the rules. I tend to base my answers from the card's iconography over the rules.

Quote:
Q1. When you use 'With Employment Agency' (or 'With Real Estate Agency' or 'Design Agency'), can you take an Employee (or Building or Design) from anywhere within the discard pile, or just from the top? Can you take from the top of the draw pile instead? Can you search through the discard pile before deciding what to take?

You "may take card without action from among cards left on the Board after Players made their actions on field or from the discard pile". You can take any card in the discard file of the (those not purchased from previous turns). You can NOT draw from the top of the draw pile. You also can not take an employee unless you have room for that employee, either building that you own that does not already have a employee associated, or one of your starting 3 employees slots.

Quote:
Q2. Is there something missing from the 'With Freelance Designers' card? Both sides have the same card symbol on them, yet the rules explanation says there is a limit of 1T once the contract has been extended. Should there have been a symbol to remind you of this on the card?

Yes, I think in this case, the card is missing iconography to make this clear.

Quote:
Q3. When using 'With Sales Representative', why would you buy cubes from the Warehouse or Import, when they are cheaper from the Local Producer? (And the limitation of 1 cube only from the Warehouse also does not apply.) The contract says that no Q tokens are gained ... so ther appears to be no point using anything bu the Local Producer. Or am I missing something?

It appears that the rules are incorrect, and 'With Sales Representative' ONLY allows purchases from the 'Local Producer'. i.e. you can purchase as many of ONE color of cubes as you want (applying the discount on the card to each cube purchased). The rules INCORRECTLY state that you could purchase from the Local Producer OR, the Warehouse (up to 1 Material each color) or from Import (any number of 1 color).

Quote:
Q4. Is it necessary to adjust your monthly maintenance costs/income track when using 'For Furniture Store Interior Design', since these appear to be one-off changes in income? Why not just take 3 money in October and 9 money in November. Otherwise you have to put your income up 3, then up a further 6 (for a total of 9), and then down by 9 in December. What am I missing?

Our house rule is that you just get 3 thousand in October, and 9 thousand in November, and don't mess with upkeep, which is exactly what you suggest.

Quote:
Q5. When using 'With Audit Company', is the building sold for $2 or $4? The rulebook states $2 but the card shows $4.

I go with the incography on the card, so you can sell a building for $4.

Quote:
Q6. (Not strictly about contracts, but...) At the end of a Fashion Show, each player hands back any Q, T, and PR tokens that are NOT on designs that were not presented or on permanent contracts, buildings, or employees. But what if the player did not score for one of those features? Do the tokens still have to be returned.

Say Red had 6Q, Blue 4Q, and Green 2Q. Does Green still have to return his 2Q even though they scored him no points? Could he choose not to use those Qs with the collection presented at this Fashion Show?

I think I know the answer to this .., but I want to be sure we played it right.

YES to "But what if the player did not score for one of those features? Do the tokens still have to be returned?"

Quote:
Q7. (Also not about contracts...) Just to be doubly sure: can a collection contain more that one design of the same type (e.g. a collection with 2 Trousers in it in the Boho style). Or are collections limited to different designs of the same style?

Style only matters in what you are allowed to show in the fashion show. You can have multiple trousers, dresses, etc in your fashion show as long as they are all the same style (Boho, Sports, etc), or have been OK'd or converted to that style from other effects.

Quote:
Q8. Does 'With Sales Representative' only allow the player to take coloured cubes from the Local Producer (Area 6), as implied by the icon on the card? And NOT from the Warehouse or Import, as stated in the rulebook.

Yes. That is how I rule all cards that allow purchases that have the area 6 on the card. See Q9.

Quote:
Q9. Depending on the answer to Q8, if the player can take cubes from the Warehouse, can he really only take 1 total cube (as stated in the rulebook). Why would he do that, when he can get more from the Local Producer? Did the rulebook mean to say he can take a maximum of 1 cube of each available type?

The only card that appears to allow you to purchase from the Warehouse location (area 7) is the Warehouse building that's in the final season in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeeve wrote:
All these answers are from my interpretation of the rules. I tend to base my answers from the card's iconography over the rules

Thank you for your detailed reply. I am happy with all your interpretations - like you, I've come to the conclusion that the cards are (mainly) right, but the rules translation leaves a little to be desired.

Skeeve wrote:
Our house rule is that you just get 3 thousand in October, and 9 thousand in November, and don't mess with upkeep, which is exactly what you suggest.

I often double-check my maintenance amount each turn anyway - it is not difficult to do (and the track could be considered superfluous - I know my wife and son found it very fiddly). However, I suppose the track does help to forewarn you that you may be about to run out of money!

Skeeve wrote:
YES to "But what if the player did not score for one of those features? Do the tokens still have to be returned?"

That's how we played it, but we did wonder whether it helped the leading player too much. By keeping non-scoring tokens, then at least the trailing player has a head-start at the next design show. I might try that in a future game as a house-rule.

Skeeve wrote:
You can have multiple trousers, dresses, etc in your fashion show as long as they are all the same style

This is how we played it, but aftwerwards I again had doubts (especially since I won easily by presenting a multiple dress collection). Do you know for certain that this is the designer's intention?

Thanks again for your answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Huyler
United States
Central Texas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Quote:
I often double-check my maintenance amount each turn anyway - it is not difficult to do (and the track could be considered superfluous - I know my wife and son found it very fiddly). However, I suppose the track does help to forewarn you that you may be about to run out of money!

I do the same thing every maintenance.

Quote:
Quote:
You can have multiple trousers, dresses, etc in your fashion show as long as they are all the same style

This is how we played it, but aftwerwards I again had doubts (especially since I won easily by presenting a multiple dress collection). Do you know for certain that this is the designer's intention?

I do not know if this is the correct intention, but the rules never state that you are restricted to one particular type (Dress, Trousers) of clothing in a Collection.

Page 10 of the rulebook from boardgamegeek says:

Each Player chooses which Collection he or she will display at fashion show this month and he or she may choose only 1 Collection in a given Fashion Show Month. Collection consists of any number of finished Designs that share a common style (Sports, Boho, Vintage etc.). The Design is considered finished if two Materials that are listed on a Design card are placed on top of this card. It is the last moment for the Player to make changes in Materials, placement on Design cards. Unfinished Designs cannot be included into a Collection.

When taking loans, page 14 of the rule book says:

The maximum Credit value a Player can receive in a given moment is determined by the potential size of his or hers Collection to be sewn - Player adds up the number of Design cards of the same style (such as Evening, Vintage etc.) and Design cards that will be changed to fit that Style during upcoming Fashion Shows through special capabilities given by Contracts, Buildings and Employees (it is important that Collection Style adjustment token was placed at this moment on the Design card that that will be changed, even though it gives an effect during the Shows):
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeeve wrote:
the rules never state that you are restricted to one particular type (Dress, Trousers) of clothing in a Collection.

Page 10 of the rulebook ... says:

... Collection consists of any number of finished Designs...

... page 14 of the rule book says:

The maximum Credit value a Player can receive ... is determined by the potential size of his or hers Collection to be sewn ...

OK, I'm persuaded! Thanks again.

I really liked this game on first play, but my opponents (wife and son) did not particularly. If I am to persuade they to play again, I really need to have all the rule ambiguities ironed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.