Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vic Edwards
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I received Defenders of the Realm for Christmas of this year, and must say that I thoroughly love it. It is quite challenging and very fun.

However after about 4 or 5 plays the wife, kids and I have several questions. I have looked through the forums and found some of the answers, but not all of them. While I feel certain my wife is correct in all of her rulings, I am curious to get a bit of feedback if those of you in the know don’t mind.

After finding and reading the FAQ let me edit this a bit, and say the wife and I still have a bit of confusion over these last few questions.

2. A General and moving – When a general moves, do the minions on the square with him move as well , or does just the one on the darkness spreads card appear on the square he moves to?

4. My daughter is a rogue, she draws 10 cards at an inn using 2 actions. She gets lucky and total cards in hand rises to 12. She wants to use 2 immediately thus getting her back down to 10. Is this legal or not? If I recall it was the “Elven Archer” and “Dark Vision” that she wanted to use.

7. Raven Forest contains 3 orcs. Darkness spreads, and 2 daemons show up per the card. What is the correct “final” result? Our assumption is that the 1stdaemon creates taint, and an overrun. Therefore the 3 orcs stay in Raven Forest, but the Forest is now tainted and a single daemon overruns into all adjacent zones. (our main point of confusion is what happens due to the 2nd daemon that the card is telling us to put into Raven Forest)

Thanks again for any insight. It’s a really fun game and quite the challenge for my family. I am looking forward to using the expansions, but we would like to get these last few items worked out before we move on.

Vexed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Edwards
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Richard , I will look up the FAQ you recommended in another post earlier today. If any of my previous questions look like ones you haven't answered, please feel free

Peace
Vex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
these last few items

laugh

You've got quite the list here! This game has some of the most generous support on the site, particularly from the designer and the game staff. This list would take a while, though - and, yes, I remember just off the top of my head many of these being made clear in the FAQ (and some in the rulebook). If someone wants to tackle the list, that's great, but I would suggest you might first check out the rulebook and FAQ, and then perhaps trim a little. Speaking only for myself, I'd be happy to do what I could to answer if so.

I had questions after the first game, too, and it just took a little similar page turning. I'm glad you're enjoying the game as much as I do; it's cool that you've gotten your family to play.

Edit: Don't forget also that the BGG forum for the game is a terrific resource, of course. Click "rules" on the forum section and you'll see many questions answered as you click through the pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E.
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Face down (they cannot be used until the following turn)

2. The latter (new ones from the Darkness Spreads card)

3. No overrun

4.a Since "anytime" is truly that, my read is that you can play the specials to get down to 10
4.b Anytime
4.c I read it to mean just for that player's turn (that draw)

5. I read it to mean one battle = all/any heroes get their shot before Sapphire regenerates

6. No damage from the general unless you choose to fight them

7. You've got it correct

8. Nope, always three minions max per location (except Monarch City)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me try my hand at these
Vexing wrote:
I received Defenders of the Realm for Christmas of this year, and must say that I thoroughly love it. It is quite challenging and very fun.

However after about 4 or 5 plays the wife, kids and I have several questions. I have looked through the forums and found some of the answers, but not all of them. While I feel certain my wife is correct in all of her rulings, I am curious to get a bit of feedback if those of you in the know don’t mind (that i am not married to ).

1. Healing – When a character does a heal action, does the life token (currently sitting off to the side) come back as an unused action that they person can take, or does it come back face down?

It comes back face down. You can use it next turn.

Vexing wrote:

2. A General and moving – When a general moves, do the minions on the square with him move as well , or does just the one on the darkness spreads card appear on the square he moves to?

Minions never move. They always stay where they are until defeated. When a general moves, you add new minions from the supply based on the number pictured in the bottom part of the Darkness Spreads card.

Vexing wrote:

3. Daemons – When the 3rd Daemon shows up , the lands becomes tainted. That part is clearly spelled out. However, does it cause an overrun? It seems that an overrun would not occur until a 4th minion shows up.

It does not cause an overrun until a 4th Demon comes on the board. It only will taint at 3.

Vexing wrote:

4. “Special” hero cards (My set looks Maroon, but let’s say purple cards) – When can they be used. This is a 3 part question actually –

You can play special cards at any time. Including when it is not your turn.

Vexing wrote:

a. My daughter is a rogue, she draws 10 cards at an inn using 2 actions. She gets real lucky and her total cards in hand count rises to 12. She wants to use 2 immediately thus getting her back down to 10. Is this legal or not? If I recall it was the “Elven Archer” and “Dark Vision” that she wanted to use.

Yes, she can use them right away. But this brings up another point. You only discard cards in the "night" phase of your turn. At the end of your turn you draw 2 Hero cards, and then at that point you must discard (or play special cards) down to 10. Up to that point, you can hold more than 10.

Vexing wrote:

b. When can you use “specials”? Start of your turn, anytime in your turn, or anytime in anyone’s turn?

Anytime in anyone's turn.

Vexing wrote:

c. “All is Quiet” - What is the definition of turn as it relates to this card. Does Darkness not spread on your hand, or is it for one full round of hands? (so 4 darkness spreads in a 4 person game).

It just lasts for the current player's turn. You play that special then the next time you need to draw Darkness Spreads cards, you don't. After that, the game plays as usual.

Vexing wrote:

5. Sapphire and regeneration – If 3 characters show up on her doorstep (rogue, eagle rider and cleric) and the rogue as the first attacker rolls 3 natural 6s does she reset back to the top of her wound chart before the eagle rider and/or cleric roll a dice?

Assuming the 3 characters are all participating in the battle, they all fight first. If Sapphire is not defeated, then you put her wound marker all the way back up. For other generals, they begin healing after each player's turn (or each time around the table if they are in the red).

Vexing wrote:

6. Wounds - My wife ends her turn in a Generals square (say the Daemon) and she dispatches all the minions. However, she chooses not to iniate combat with the boss. Does she take damage at the end of the turn, or is she just hiding until the rest of the party shows up (We understand the fear damage but does the general himself cause a wound)?

Generals never attack Heroes. Thematically, all the locations on the board are very large and they are in different areas, awaiting when to attack. If a general is in a space with no minions, the space is basically "empty" in game terms so you wouldn't take wounds.

Vexing wrote:

7. Overrun and Taint – Great concept, but I think this confused us most of all. Let me give you a specific example. Raven Forest contains 3 orcs. Darkness spreads, and 2 daemons show up per the card. What is the correct “final” result? Our assumption is that the 1stdaemon creates taint, and an overrun. Therefore the 3 orcs stay in Raven Forest, but the Forest is now tainted and a single daemon overruns into all adjacent zones. (our main point of confusion is what happens due to the 2nddaemon that the card is telling us to put into Raven Forest)

You only ever attempt to add as many minions as it says and you can only ever have 3 on a space. So if there are 3 already on the space, you don't add any to that space. It doesn't matter if the Darkness Spreads card says to add 1, 2 or 3. It will cause a taint and overrun only once.

In this example, The 3 orcs stay in Raven Forest, no demons would be added to Raven Forest, Raven Forest would get a taint crystal, and all adjacent locations would get 1 demon added.

Vexing wrote:

8. Similar to the last question but with a general moving: Windy Pass has 3 daemons in it, and General V moves from Dark Woods with 3 minions appearing in Windy Pass with him. If overrun happens on 4, what happens to the 2 other dark minions? Or does Windy Pass end up with 3 Dark and 3 Daemon minions on it?

Same as above. Windy Pass will stay with 3 demons, no undead minions would be added to Windy Pass, Windy Pass gets a taint crystal, and all adjacent locations get 1 undead minion added.

Vexing wrote:

Thanks again for any insight. It’s a really fun game and quite the challenge for my family. I am looking forward to using the expansions, but we would like to get these last few items worked out before we move on.

Vex

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow; I think I need to lie down just from watching you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a tiny clarification on playing Special cards that was not mentioned above.

Most Special cards can indeed be played at anytime - this includes during another player's turn. However, Special cards that require an Action to be spent (like Battle Fury) can only be played during the turn of the Hero that is playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all - great answers guys. I appreciate the help all of you give to new players. I have nothing to add to the answers, but I am curious as to whether the Rogue actually gained 10 cards on a turn. Keep in mind, the Rogue draws 5 cards when doing a Rumors Action in the Inn, but only keeps the color she called and any special cards. Usually this is 1 - 3 cards maximum. So, it is unlikely that the this event would ever happen, but as noted in the answers above, if the player gains cards above their hand level, they do not have to discard down to size until the end of their Evening phase.

Thanks for defending the realm, and I hope you enjoy the game.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Edwards
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
As I recall she had 3 or 4 and got incredibly lucky getting 3-4 specials and 4 the color she called.

As a side note every time she is at the inn whatever color she calls, rest assured that will be the color there are the most of.

Another game we were going after gorgut, she goes to the inn says blue. I explain we need green. Here response -- But daddy there are no greens at this inn. -- 10 cards later, 3 blues 2 purple, and yes u guessed it not a single green.

Thanks for the answers, loving the game.

Vexed
And loving it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.