Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, American "football" is nothing like real football.
Since the beginning I have said soccer for American football, because soccer means nothing and well, I'm not really sure what they do there.

They have the ball in hands and run, they throw the ball and once in a while they kick it.

I think soccer goes good for it. Or something like American handball...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Tackleball, American football should be called tackleball, and soccer should be called football.

But it will never change, America is one of the most conservative nations in the world, still holding out against the metric system with the arbitrary US system of customary units, and against Celsius with the Fahrenheit system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Soccer" is short for "Assoc. Football," the original name of the sport in the US.

American football is call such because, like soccer/football, there is a ball, and you kick it during the game. Back when soccer was called association football, American football was called "gridiron football" sometimes to differentiate it.

Makes perfect sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Cricket was already in use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I don't care if it logically fits or not anymore. I like the name just because it gets the "ferners" all riled up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I prefer "Pigskin" as afterward, you could cut their 'ball' into strips of yummy, delicious, nutritious baconbaconbaconbacon and what 'distasteful substance' does any other yield? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
Raiko & Agnes Forever! Feel the Love and Feel the Warmth. Happiness is 2 hugs plus 3 kisses every hour...:D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
badge
Addicted Estonian gamer with big heart and direct winning attitude. Need any help with something, just ask. Need some GG for something, just ask. Need something to be translated, just ask. Meanwhile, behave! :D (http://mrboardgames.wordpress.com/)
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
I prefer "Pigskin" as afterward, you could cut their 'ball' into strips of yummy, delicious, nutritious baconbaconbaconbacon and what 'distasteful substance' does any other yield? gulp

Oh, yes.
And the game doesn't even have a ball - they have .... mmmmm...what? A almost sphere like object...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raiko Puust
Estonia
Keila
Harju Maakond
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New name:

Tackle prolate spheroid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I can't believe nobody has given the serious answer yet.

The sports in question were originally called such to distinguish them from sports where all the players rode around on horses. Hence, anything called "football" is a sport where a ball is involved and you run around on your own feet. Association football (often shortened to soccer), American (or gridiron) football, what have you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
binraix wrote:
New name:

Tackle prolate spheroid.
surprise There is also flag prolate spheroid... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah! and what's with a "Rugby Scrum" during a 'Hockey Game' whence "Boxing Day" broke out? robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
The sports in question were originally called such to distinguish them from sports where all the players rode around on horses. Hence, anything called "football" is a sport where a ball is involved and you run around on your own feet.

An alternate explanation is that the name came because, in all of these sports, a ball was kicked with your foot. And, in fact, in the early days of American football, kicking was a much more prevalent aspect of the sport. The ball was much rounder; it started drifting toward its current, more pointed shape after the introduction of the forward pass around 1910 or so.

It's always amusing to hear how surprised/outraged non-Americans are that sports, like everything else in life, evolve. So baseball and cricket are both evolutions of rounders and Association football, American football, Canadian football, Australian Rules football, and rugby all have a common ancestor. Given that North America and Australia are separated from Europe by large bodies of water, it's not surprising that the sports evolved differently, but the names remained the same.

What's funny is that people keep applying modern-day logic to the nomenclature of sports that are well over a century old. Take basketball--there are no baskets in the modern game, only a hoop and a net. We call it a "basket", but any farmer unacquainted with the game would think you're nuts for using the term. Of course, originally, the game was played with a peach basket nailed to a post: that's a basket! But no vestiges of that remain today.

The same is true of football. The games evolved, and did so differently in different geographic areas, but the names are the same as they were at their origins. What's so hard to understand about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Leezer wrote:
The sports in question were originally called such to distinguish them from sports where all the players rode around on horses. Hence, anything called "football" is a sport where a ball is involved and you run around on your own feet.

An alternate explanation is that the name came because, in all of these sports, a ball was kicked with your foot.

An alternate explanation, also known as the wrong explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28word%29#Etymology
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm going with "FootThrowKickball" with being M~O~R~E American as "Scrapple" pie gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why is it called football?

Because it kicks ass!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
Leezer wrote:

An alternate explanation is that the name came because, in all of these sports, a ball was kicked with your foot.

An alternate explanation, also known as the wrong explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28word%29#Etymology

Huh? Let me quote from the above referenced article:

"Although it is widely assumed that the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this may be a false etymology." (emphisis mine)

And later on:

"However, there is no conclusive evidence for either hypothesis regarding the origins of the word."

Your hypothesis may be correct, but the Wikipedia article you cite provides no evidence of that.

But let's not argue about what was named by who; let's keep yelling at the non-Americans who don't want us calling our sport football! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yes, and 2 or more dice involved NAUGHT from Scotland were STILL "craps" derivative! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've had a good look through the Wikipedia article on American Football. 41,000 concussions per year in high school players alone? Let's call it Concussion Ball!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
Well, I've had a good look through the Wikipedia article on American Football. 41,000 concussions per year in high school players alone? Let's call it Concussion Ball!

Hockey could be concussion puck, boxing could be concussion fist, and soccer could be concussion ball pt 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

Hockey could be concussion puck, boxing could be concussion fist, and soccer could be concussion ball pt 2!

Ooo, I like it! Except... do soccer players get concussions in anything even remotely like the same numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
That is very 'true', so in order to "make up" on that 'aspect', then they should HAVE to use a "bowling ball" now. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
Ooo, I like it! Except... do soccer players get concussions in anything even remotely like the same numbers?

Of course not. It's not like they're smashing their foreheads into a hard soccer ball traveling at high speeds or anything! shake

(And yes, this has led to some concussions and is a subject of some recent concern in Association Football circuits. But no, the number of concussions doesn't seem to be remotely close to those that stem from American football. We're still #1!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
frumpish wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

Good point, maybe concussion ball pt 2 gives soccer too much prominence.

Concussion ball jr it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
GreenDude wrote:

Of course not. It's not like they're smashing their foreheads into a hard soccer ball traveling at high speeds or anything! shake

Oops, forgot about that bit!

As a complete aside, my daughters and I are watching an animated movie right now. Here's what I found myself saying to my eldest (6 y.o.) not 5 minutes ago:

"The sport of baseball does not typically involve throwing cows."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Aww...no one used the condescending "let me fucking google it for you" website/link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.