Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious what games are out there that are widely considered "strategic", but you think you've solved after less than one full play?

Seems to be quite a "few" lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to my superior meeple DNA I have solved all of them before I even played them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Name Names, Joel

eekamouse wrote:
Just curious what games are out there that are widely considered "strategic", but you think you've solved after less than one full play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Thanks to my superior meeple DNA I have solved all of them before I even played them.

True. One look at the box art and I've already figured out the dominant strategy. No need to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuttle757 wrote:
Name Names, Joel

eekamouse wrote:

Hah. "No".

Perhaps the OP sounds a bit antagonistic. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes. Possibly spending too much time on here. Just had some experiences lately where I've said to myself, "Wow, I bet the designer himself never even thought of this! Then I douse myself with water."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Just had some experiences lately where I've said to myself, "Wow, I bet the designer himself never even thought of this!"

Either they probably have thought of this, or you're not playing good enough games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it the OP deleted the first entry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tic-Tac-Toe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

No. I didn't have a game in mind. Maybe Quarriors? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

One of our group has solved 'Letters from Whitechapel' he can work out exactly where any Jack the ripper has gone. We just need a Jack the Ripper that can solve Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

One4 of our group has solved 'Letters from Whitechapel' he can work out exactly where any Jack the ripper has gone. We just need a Jack the Ripper that can solve Martin

Ah! That's a good one. Out of the three times I played this, Jack never won. Too much brain power versus "one" brain power?

-edit-

But I only feel like I've solved it after three plays I guess... and I'm probably wrong about that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Oh, the responses didn't seem to flow.

I haven't run across many that are solved after one play. But, I only sat down to learn Quariors, didn't get a play in.

Some recently said they 'solved' El Grande after one play. But, in my experience games can play out quite different based on players and what cards come out.

Players said that Posiedon's Kingdoms was solved after one play, but based on the fact that I was the only one pulling off the perceived strategy and I lost both times, I don't think it means what they think it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
I solved Age of Industry and Le Havre by looking at them from an oblique counterclockwise angle. But when my turn comes around, my available optimal move is always worse than those of my opponents, which is why I still don't win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read recently that someone thought Kingdom Builders was solved.
As Mike sez, I don't think people understand what solved means, or more importantly, what it looks like.

In order for a game to be solvable there are a few requirements:

1. There MUST be perfect information (no hidden information).
2. There MUST be perfect conditions (no randomness say like a dice throw or card draw).
3. There MUST be perfect knowledge (the rules must be static or at least change in a reliable and predictable way, a player needs to know all that is knowable about the units of the game, for example the center of gravity of every piece in a jenga tower).

As such, most modern games don't fulfill any of these principles.
(Kingdom Builder, for example, has two points of randomness which prevent saliency)

Quarriors, for example, uses a random card draw for set up, and to further introduce intrigue to decisions has you randomly select dice from a bag and then additionally roll those dice to determine their effect. There is no way to know what dice you will use before you begin the game, so you have to tailor a strategy after the card draw, then you have no guarantee of what dice you will draw and further, you cannot know what each of those dice will produce. Counting on rolling 8 Quiddity to buy that dragon dice when you have dice in hand that can roll up to 9 quiddity...too bad, you rolled 2 quiddity and 4 monsters, what then?

I'm willing to have a serious conversation about solved and solvable games if you can give me an example of a game you think could be solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still misplaying half the rules after one play. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As Mike sez, I don't think people understand what solved means, or more importantly, what it looks like.

2. There MUST be perfect conditions (no randomness say like a dice throw or card draw).
3. There MUST be perfect knowledge (the rules must be static or at least change in a reliable and predictable way, a player needs to know all that is knowable about the units of the game, for example the center of gravity of every piece in a jenga tower).

That is the logical definition of "solved", but I think that we could broaden the definition for this purpose to mean that "I always know what the best possible move is". You could theoretically use statistics and game theory to "solve" games with random/hidden elements this way, as long as you were comfortable that the "correct" solution didn't always win.

I think the root of the problem is that the OP feels like the correct move is always obvious, which makes the game not fun. Whether that means a truly "solvable" combinatorial (chess, checkers, tic-tac-toe) or simply a game for which the "correct" move is always obvious (e.g. "You can roll this die for a 1/6 chance of $2 or this die for a 1/8 chance of $3"), the net effect is the same: I don't get to make decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bagherra wrote:

As such, most modern games don't fulfill any of these principles.
(Kingdom Builder, for example, has two points of randomness which prevent saliency)

Quarriors, for example, uses a random card draw for set up, and to further introduce intrigue to decisions has you randomly select dice from a bag and then additionally roll those dice to determine their effect. There is no way to know what dice you will use before you begin the game, so you have to tailor a strategy after the card draw, then you have no guarantee of what dice you will draw and further, you cannot know what each of those dice will produce. Counting on rolling 8 Quiddity to buy that dragon dice when you have dice in hand that can roll up to 9 quiddity...too bad, you rolled 2 quiddity and 4 monsters, what then?

I'm willing to have a serious conversation about solved and solvable games if you can give me an example of a game you think could be solved.

Only the third condition you list is required for a solution to exist, that is, for a game to be solvable in principle. I briefly visited this issue in another thread (number 5 on the list) where I provided some other necessary conditions for the existence of a solution. I didn't list your third condition because I would consider it to be implicit in the definition of "game."

Briefly, the first of your conditions is no obstacle to the existence of an equilibrium mixed strategy and games violating the second can be analysed using expected utility theory.

EDIT:
cferejohn wrote:
That is the logical definition of "solved"[...]

I didn't see your post before making this one. There is no such thing as a logical definition. It so happens that we have an accepted, useful definition which is the best that can be expected. That definition does coincide with the intuitive idea that a solution should provide the a priori most useful choice for the player in every game situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically the OP just described pretty much every Euro game out there (as far as I'm concerned).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

That is the logical definition of "solved", but I think that we could broaden the definition for this purpose to mean that "I always know what the best possible move is".

That's my definition anyway.

wytefang wrote:
Basically the OP just described pretty much every Euro game out there (as far as I'm concerned).

Boo, but touche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Thanks for contributing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Thanks for contributing.

And thanks to you, as well for your cogent insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

Care to elaborate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
Briefly, the first of your conditions is no obstacle to the existence of an equilibrium mixed strategy and games violating the second can be analysed using expected utility theory.

So, the Prisoner's Dilemna is solvable?

(outside of Nash Equilibria which isn't really a solution since there are still choices that can lead to a better solution if the opponent plays "right/wrong")

A truly solved game will always lead to a predictable outcome irregardless of the opponents choices.

While there are optimal choices at decision points, all that does is create a "strong" player. So if a solvable game is one in which you can see "strong" strategies, then, indeed all games are solvable by a competent player, in which case this and all lines of discussion on strategy and tactics and mechanics are moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:

So, the Prisoner's Dilemna is solvable?

Funny you should bring that up. It has the EXACT same solution as Quarriors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Sure. Most (if not all) pure Euros are like a giant puzzle with one efficient or feasible solution. Sometimes there are a few alternate paths but over time you'll find they're basically just variations of the same gameplay that's mostly solvable over time but with new coats of paint (aka "Theme") on them.

That doesn't mean they can't be fun, initially. And I have enjoyed certain Euros that blend their style with American-style gameplay (great example for me would be Settlers of Catan, a great Euro/Hybrid).

But pure Euro stuff is deathly boring to me for the reasons listed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.