Subject: First game, Scenario 64: Predator Becomes Prey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike and I tried this today. We love CC : Europe/Med, so were happy to get this new expansion. We rarely play the published scenarios - we pretty much always play either Random Scenarios or DIY. But when I read Scenario 64, it sounded interesting, and the map looked good (neither of us enjoy city scenarios), so we went with it. I played the Greek Resistance and he the Germans.

It was disastrous. I mean that in two ways: it was very, very lopsided and it wasn't much fun.

I hadn't noticed, when reading the scenario, just how potent that 10-16 German infantry gun is. He got it to Objective 3, which gave him a clear LOS over most of the battlefield, including the village I started most of my troops in. While partisans are hard to actually kill, they're very easy to break and not easy to rally, and I was very soon broken in many locations.

His units were basically immune to anything I could do: I had no distance weapons and the range of the non-leader partisans is abysmal. I was simply wiped out trying to reach him between his machine guns, infantry gun, mortar, and those devastating +2 FP cards the Germans have so many of.

So I switched tactics and went into hiding where he had to come to me to be able to hit me. I engaged in four melees, in which I was stronger than he was three out of four. I lost them all. By this time he had three of the five buildings and my VP lead was cut down to just a couple of points. I'd been racing through my deck hoping to end the game with Time before he killed too many when he got the Battlefield Integrity event, giving him a huge number of VPs. I conceded the game at that point.

I never hurt him at all - I only broke him with regular fire once - I did better with Snipers, breaking two units! He lost no units.

The sad thing: it was simply a frustrating experience for me. It was not fun at all - I couldn't do *anything*. He just sat back and broke me at will until I went into hiding, at which point he walked up and shot me at short range and killed me when I meleed him. The Infantry Gun so limited the parts of the board I could safely move in that I felt straight-jacketed. The game left a bad taste in my mouth, and at this point Resistance is looking like a bad purchase.

But we'll try it again with a Random Scenario - I should have known better than to try a published scenario, as we've never really found one in any CC game we like as much as randomly generated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes a bad game is a bad game. BUT...

(1) I checked and my buddy and I are playing these through, switching sides each time. In Scenario 64, each of us won as the Partisans. One game, the Partisans had a rough time but held out and won on VPs at Sudden Death. The other game the Germans had enough casualties they surrendered. I'd have to look at the scenario to refresh my memory on the details.

(2) Sounds like early on you lost your personal Morale Check. That's bad as it carries into your play. I'm not saying there is more you could have done but there was probably more you could have done.

(3) While my rule of thumb is that in CC you NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER, NEVER give up (and you didn't), there ARE the occasional games that are blowouts. I think in 250+ plays, I've only ever had one or two games where it was just a disaster from the start and went downhill from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I sure would like to know how the Partisans won this scenario. What did the Germans do with the Infantry Gun? Even the German group that started to my right flank was murder: one of the two German leaders (Command 2) and two Elite Rifles, both with light machine guns. That's a 10 FP fire group right there, and he always had at least one - usually two! - of those +2 fire cards and never got doubles to break his machine guns. That's 12 or 14 FP. Yes, my morale in that building exposed to that flank is 10, but 14 FP to 10 Morale is going to break me 84% of the time, and suppress me another 6%! He just stayed outside my range and peppered me almost every turn. There was nothing I could do about it - if I Moved forward, that group opportunity fired. If I Advance, the IG would blast me his next turn. I finally ran away to await him, and that was not only not fun, it didn't help.

How in the heck do you get casualties on the Germans? You can't get to them!

2) My player morale was all right - we played for four hours and I was really only depressed the last two minutes. I was just frustrated most of the game. Yes, I'm sure I could have done something different and better - I have no doubt of that, actually. I was trying to push the time marker, which is easier to do with the partisan deck as it's only 36 cards. I couldn't push it fast enough, though, unless I just discarded every turn and that's not much fun either. Fun was simply lacking - we usually enjoy CC, even when losing. I didn't today.

3) Yes, blowouts in CC are rare for us, too. And yes, he had extreme card luck compared with mine - I had him 9-5 in one melee and lost, for example - that's a 9.7% chance of happening, but it did. My worst melee odds were even, and I lost all four melees. That's bad card luck, so perhaps I shouldn't blame the scenario. But I really disliked feeling straightjacketed - that's not what I play games for, and that IG just seemed to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel for you, dude. I've never played Resistance, I'm still getting bucketloads of fun from Europe and Med.

I can say that I've played 20+ games so far and I think only once has there been a game where I've just flat-out felt there was nothing I could do to change things in my favour. I think that was playing as the Poles in 'At The Crossroads', if I my memory serves.

As far as I can tell, the historical scenarios are all really well balanced, so please don't give up on them! On the other hand, I haven't played a RSG game yet, so perhaps that should be next.

Not sure where I was going with this, seems I haven't contributed much to the discussion. Maybe I just like the sound of my own keyboard...

Later. Jay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you said about losing all the melees whether or not you had firepower advantges in each of them indicates you had a REALLY unlucky game. They do happen. Over the course of a recent partisan game I set up NINE melee hexes where I had the 9-5 firepower advantage, and lost seven of them.

Please shrug it off and play again, same scenario, switching sides. If your luck does not change as the Germans you will see that the partisans CAN win. If your luck does change and it turns into a fun game, that would be the best result.

When things all go against me in a game, I have to sit back for a moment, deliberately flip an imaginary switch in my head, and start enjoying the flow and story of the game, even though I'm being slaughtered.

Please don't give up, Resistance can occasionally feel like an exercise in masochism, but it can also be huge fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone dalla Chiesa
Italy
Cassina de' Pecchi
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Over the course of a recent partisan game I set up NINE melee hexes where I had the 9-5 firepower advantage, and lost seven of them.

I look forward playing with you, Chick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Huffman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished this scenario tonight (10/28). While I did win by 6 points, it was because my opponent was distracted by Real Life and was kindly staying long to finish the game instead of going home. I'll still take it, as he takes it to me often. :-p

The Germans moved the IG Gun into Objective 3, where the Partisans had put wire! Dang, so then we had to push it forward. The Germans on the far side of the hill were left to fend for their own. The One across the road never made it out of the woods. The one nearest Objective 2 tried to take Objective 5 (which I think he did for a brief time), but it took Private Herzog and ended badly. I just couldn't get a good card flow going, but the Germans are in a good position. He kept the Resistance in cover and got a lot more Dispersals than he normally gets (not as many as I usually get though! devil). Also he took advantage of the short deck and brought two separate melee groups onto my poor German Squads!

Nonetheless, we got it down to only +1 for him, plus I ran a Elite Rifle Squad into the mined Objective 1 hex at Sudden Death minus 1. My Hero showed up for the 2nd time (1st one was decimated in the first Infiltration/Melee) and took Objective 5....This was about when he noticed he should be leaving in Real Life surprise....After a Time trigger for me, he had just a few cards left. He Infiltrated for 2 points, and started to put people in position to take back Objective 1 (on the road near the edge of town)....That put the VP marker to +3 German. Then the game ended on his time trigger. Unfortunately, he had forgotten that I had taken Objective 5 (His secret chit for 2 VPs) and Obviously didn't know about Objective 1 being another point. I won by 6 VPs. Take away two for the Infiltration play and four more (two less for me, two plus for him) for Objective 5....and The Resistance would have won.

This is the first time we played it, but Paul wins the majority of the time, though I'm learning from him and continue to give him good games.

He was ahead in VPs and forced me to come to the Objectives. When I did, he punished me. The two Infiltrate/Melees didn't hurt either...but he saw them and took advantage of the opportunity.

When I see someone playing the Sustained fires a lot and not rolling doubles ever, I just pray that their luck will come back to them when they are firing only an HMG. LOL!

Anyway, just a report to let you know that even though the Germans did win again in this Scenario, they wouldn't have, had the Greek Commander not been given the note from his sweetie to stop playing war and to return home. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the OP's original post it seems clear that his concept of the way to play the scenario was not tuned to the tactical situation.

The Partisans are on the defensive, but with vicious sudden offensive possibilities offered by the sighting markers/reinforcements and the sudden death win if you hold all objectives.
You need to hold the village and force the Germans to come to you, so as to delay their application of their devastating firepower. Meanwhile you look for melee possibilities created by gung-ho German moves, or by the sighting markers.
It is possible to slow the Germans down in their effort to take all the buildings by threatening to take the German-held objective on the road and the one in the hills. If you actually succeed in that early on then you can win a sudden death victory.
My take: the Germans have the advantage, but can run out of time if they are too cautious. The partisans will feel under the cosh; they are facing a major anti-partisan sweep; they need to be wily in the way they defend the village, not putting too much in the shop-window where it can be smashed, with delay, ambush, and indirect threats all vital parts of the best tactics.
This scenario has a great name. At start the Partisans have become the prey, having planned to ambush the Germans as the predators. But to have a good chance of winning as the Partisans you need to turn the tables again with some successful melee counter-attacks.
Exciting and atmospheric scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.