The Doctor
msg tools
I've been working on a boardgame. I hand drew the board and I am writing an instruction manual, but I need some help on actually contacting Avalon Hill.I already know I will have to revise the board and manual once I submit it to them and they tell me what changes to make, but I want some help on contact info that won't involve me waiting on a phone for 3 hours. I would prefer for Avalon Hill to email me about there response to my idea. So if I could get there email addresses that would be great. So if anyone can help or do search and tell me what they found, that would be great. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
get in your police box and travel to 1997.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmm.............

....okay, you might want to sit down for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheTardis wrote:
So if I could get there email addresses that would be great. So if anyone can help or do search and tell me what they found, that would be great. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
A Ouija board might be helpful--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Avalon Hill still exists, it's just a division of Wizards of the Coast which is in turn part of Hasbro.

For the OP, I'm afraid I don't have any good idea on how to contact them. I'm not even sure that they take submissions any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Large company. They only accept submissions in-house or through an Agent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Translation:
Avalon Hill was absorbed by WOTC and WOTC was absorbed by Hasbro. It exists now only as an extension of Hasbro.

Hasbro has essentially closed its doors to submissions. Some have said that they now only accept through a "temp agency" type system and !@#$%^&ing hell is that system costly!!! You'll end up spending more for just the chance to have the game looked at than you might self publishing or going to a more open company of which theres many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you think about publishing a game or even contacting someone about publishing it (or even publishing it yourself), you have a lot of work to do.

You need to play it over a over again, tweaking and changing rules, and sometimes removing or replacing whole parts you throught were intrinsic to it. Then you need to get other people to play it that will be honest with you. Then you take their input, rework the game, and start over again. Repeat until you have something that is complete, unbreakable, and something people want to play.

Then you can figure out how to get it published. You can put it out for people to print and play or you can self-publish (maybe one first and then the other). Might be a good way to get publisher interest as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Does that PLAY "Like" RISK or "Monopoly"? well, there you "go" then! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello I'm Mr. Avalon Hill tell me all about it . ... I'm actually Mr. Avalon Hill Jr. but I run the company since Dads more interested in rpgs now ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct from the FAQ on the Hasbro Website, which now owns Avalon Hill

Question: I have an idea for a new product. Does Hasbro accept outside submission ideas? How can I present my idea to Hasbro?
Answer:

Hasbro thank you for inviting them to consider your idea, however, the company maintains a very strict policy against reviewing such unsolicited proposals from individual inventors.

We suggest you contact a toy and games agent who represents the concepts and prototypes of independent inventors to various manufacturers throughout the toy and games industry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to make specific connections in the Industry then you need to be on Linkedin and join the toy and game industry groups, there are several for toys, board game design, game writing, etc.

But everyone else is right you're getting way ahead of yourself wanting to contact anyone before you have a working game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Doctor... TheTardis... I don't know why, but for some reason, I feel this unaccountable urge to exterminate you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheTardis wrote:
contacting Avalon Hill.I already know I will have to revise the board and manual once I submit it to them

Avalon Hill does not take ANY outside submissions.
If you send it to them, they will delete it without even opening it.

You need to have a FINISHED game first, and then do some research on companies that actually DO accept submissions.

("In" before Travis pops by the thread. HI TRAVIS!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

I... I think I understood that! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
GROGnads wrote:

I... I think I understood that! surprise

Clearly, someone's been fiddling around with our dear Mr. Wesley's dosages. I just can't tell if the lucidity and coherence is the result of the medication kicking in, or wearing off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"One does not simply contact Avalon Hill's marketing department..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
A recent "historical archive" photo-rendering about their LAST "day at the beach!..." robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.