United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
About to order my copy of the game, was wondering what quantity of which size sleeves I would need for it. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This just seems like a funny idea to me, considering that some of the cards will get torn up and thrown in the trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the helpful comment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sousa
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, the cards don't get used frequently enough that you'll need protectors for them unless you have very clumsy friends. If you're anal enough about putting protectors on every card for every game you play, are you sure you're going to be able to bring yourself to play this game correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:

I actually think that they are giving you helpful comments, but the way I'm reading your responses to them, I think you're giving them a "thanks for nothing" comment. If I'm wrong in my interpretation of what you're saying, I apologize, and please disregard the rest of what I have to say.

I don't know the size sleeve that you'd need, but what you're being advised on is that you can really save yourself the expense and trouble of sleeving the Risk: Legacy cards, because they really shouldn't need the protection, given the gameplay.

This game will not look like a pristine museum piece. And the cards won't get used so much that they'll get damaged from heavy play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteKnight85 wrote:
poeticallybored wrote:

I actually think that they are giving you helpful comments, but the way I'm reading your responses to them, I think you're giving them a "thanks for nothing" comment. If I'm wrong in my interpretation of what you're saying, I apologize, and please disregard the rest of what I have to say.

I don't know the size sleeve that you'd need, but what you're being advised on is that you can really save yourself the expense and trouble of sleeving the Risk: Legacy cards, because they really shouldn't need the protection, given the gameplay.

This game will not look like a pristine museum piece. And the cards won't get used so much that they'll get damaged from heavy play.
Exactly what Steven said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have any number of reasons for wanting to sleeve my cards that are of no concern to either of you. I have a question that I need answered, and if you don't have an answer for me, you don't need to reply to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only sleeves that come close (and by that I mean not well at all) are Yu-Gi-Oh sleeves.

And I also agree that sleeving them is pointless unless your intent is to prevent them from being marked (i.e. make the game erasable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:
I could have any number of reasons for wanting to sleeve my cards that are of no concern to either of you. I have a question that I need answered, and if you don't have an answer for me, you don't need to reply to me.
Don't forget that this is the internet, where pretty much everybody gets responses in their threads that they aren't looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:

But they/we did have an answer for you. Many is the time that I've asked a question only to find out from someone being helpful that I was getting off track and that I didn't need to be concerned in that area, or perhaps that I was asking the wrong question.

And less frequently I found myself still wanting to know the answer to my original question. When that is the case I politely thank the people who are trying to be helpful, but explain that I'm still looking for the answer to my OP.

Either way I recognize and acknowledge that people were just trying to help me out, and I appreciate it, even when their good intentions don't give me the help I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zap Riecken
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,

The quantity you seek is a fluctuating number. The amount of cards changes with every other game as you destroy cards and or open up packs. Additionally, the cards are an odd size and probably won't fit in a standard sleeve. I'll check tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Abramson
United States
Edmonds
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeves for this game could makes sense, once stickers are on cards, shuffling becomes a bit problematic, we've had a couple cases where cards get stuck to each other. I haven't sleeved the cards, and don't plan to, but it's not a silly question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Boy, wouldn't everyone here feel like jackasses if the point was to allow a friend who has a physical disability causing excessive drooling to play the game without damaging the cards (in a manner outside the "normal" damage that will occur)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
Boy, wouldn't everyone here feel like jackasses if the point was to allow a friend who has a physical disability causing excessive drooling to play the game without damaging the cards (in a manner outside the "normal" damage that will occur)?

Then he should have also asked about the board dimensions, and what size of sleeve he needs to protect the board.

I kid, I kid....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gardiner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clearly this thread is an example of the range of answers you get when you fail to explain your intention.

Robert Teves II says that sleeving is for a reason of "no concern to either of you", yet seems surprised when people make (rather obvious, apparently false) assumptions about the intent of the original question.

Based on the irregular size of the cards, the fact that they are intended to be permanently modified and other statements by the game designers, it seems that Hasbro had no intention of these cards being sleeved. 15 plays is hardly enough to cause wear.

Given that the OP made it clear that he did not own the set yet, coaching a person that does not yet own the product on its intended use should come as no surprise, even to the OP.

Aside from a concept based on playing the set without permanently changing it (not sure how you would keep stickers in a state where they would be re-usable), I can't think of any reason why you would want to protect this set's cards with sleeves. I'm really, really curious.

Is Robert sure that he won't tell us his secret plan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me very much in the "why on God's green earth are you sleeving this?" camp, but the cards are 56mm x 77mm.

//edit: as for quantity, I believe the game says "at least 175 cards". I have no idea the actual top end number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
Count me very much in the "why on God's green earth are you sleeving this?" camp, but the cards are 56mm x 77mm.

//edit: as for quantity, I believe the game says "at least 175 cards". I have no idea the actual top end number.

I was very much in this camp as well until cleaning up after our 8th game. Our group has opened all the packs by this point, and I've changed my mind. I've found three reasons to sleeve the cards in the game. (BEWARE of SPOILER)

1. This game is horrifyingly fun and playable. For every "scarring" game we play with our group, my wife and I play three or four "non-scarring" games. I estimate that the game has been played around thirty times so far. Why, yes, we have gotten our money's worth! And the cards are showing more wear than any of our other games.

2. We only have around ten or fifteen coin stickers left on the sticker sheet. Many of the resource cards have two or more stickers on them. And the stickers are maybe a fraction of a millimeter thick--but they do stand out from the card. Due to shuffling and general use, the sticker edges are wearing on the resouce cards. Not much, but enough to sleeve.

Placement of the world capital sticker:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
3. The private-mission stickers will be "in play" and shuffled for quite some time. We have a Lead Faction on our Earth, so currently missions get chosen. Frequently it is the sea-line mission. No one has won it yet: the private-mission stickers (I think there are five) will not all get placed for possibly another ten or fifteen games. I want to keep them in good condition until they get placed in the red slot on the faction cards.

So I will soon be sleeving my cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gardiner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
[q="lomn"]Count me very much in the "why on God's green earth are you sleeving this?" camp, but the cards are 56mm x 77mm.

3. The private-mission stickers will be "in play" and shuffled for quite some time. We have a Lead Faction on our Earth, so currently missions get chosen. Frequently it is the sea-line mission. No one has won it yet: the private-mission stickers (I think there are five) will not all get placed for possibly another ten or fifteen games. I want to keep them in good condition until they get placed in the red slot on the faction cards.

Sure would be nice if you told us what pack this spoiler is connected to so I can determine whether or not it is safe for me to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grantor wrote:
August222 wrote:
[q="lomn"]Count me very much in the "why on God's green earth are you sleeving this?" camp, but the cards are 56mm x 77mm.

Sure would be nice if you told us what pack this spoiler is connected to so I can determine whether or not it is safe for me to read it.

Sorry about that. Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Little late, but I was referred to these as "the closest fit"

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=F...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Butler
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I don't have an answer, but I totally understand the desire for sleeves. When territory cards start having 4+ coins on them, you don't want to A) have stickers come off while shuffling or B) accidentally influence your shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up going with the standard ultra pro sleeves.

Now that all the coin stickers have been placed and all the cards have been sleeved, we can shuffle the resource deck like we mean it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dagon Jones
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
card sleeves would be very good if you intend on printing up your own cards and mixing them in with the standard cards. Such as home made expansions and variants. But the sleeves would have to have opaque backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Eye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just laminate them. That's what I have done to mine in my 'reset-able' version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.