Giorgio Spadaro
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. In our last game we noticed the advanced tie-break rule probably doesn't work anymore. Culture track does count much more than techs or coins on the score (21 vs 15) and that was somehow balanced in the core game where culture was heavily underpowered. In Fame and Fortune culture is far more stronger, making the tie-break unbalanced towards non culture players.

I want to outline what happened in our last game:
In the 10th turn, Russians discover Space Flight at the Start of Turn because of Public education Investments, while Romans reach the end of culture track during City Management. At the tie-break Romans scored 21 points for culture + 6 coins + 11 techs = 38 points. Russians scored 3 culture + 4 coins + 17 techs = 24 points.

I can't imagine how a tie-break could be won by non culture players.
We're going to come back to the original scoring way.
What do you think about that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall the basic tie-breaker rewarded turn order a bit too much.

Perhaps, since it seems like all types of victory are more viable, instead you should do a percentile-based tiebreaker? (I have too little experience with the expansion to know if this is necessary, but just a thought from the peanut gallery.)

It is easy to compare Tech and Coin...both require 15 units (do not count extra techs beyond the minimum per level required), so no change required in the counting. Culture is 6 longer. So, somewhere you need to drop 6 points. Not counting the last 2 spaces per age, perhaps?

Again, this is just a random thought from reading your post from the peanut gallery, I do not have enough experience with the expansion to know if this is even necessary. But, that is one possible solution instead of going back to fate of turn order.

Alternatively, and more simply, you could have the tiebreaker be the progress on the one remaining peaceful victory condition (in your example, economic). This is simpler than either the FAQ base game tiebreaker or the above modification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio Spadaro
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time we'll implement a new way for tie-break scoring: now techs will score as many points as their level is:

A 1st level tech scores 1 point, a 2nd level tech scores 2 points and so on.

As considering last game Romans would have achieved 20 points for techs (6x 1st level + 4 x 2nd level + 2 x 3rd level) while Russians would have scored 38 points (6x 1st level, 5x 2nd level, 3x 3rd level, 2x 4th level and the 5th level Space Flight technology). Final score would have been 47 to 45 for Romans (they would have won anyway but it's definately more balanced)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that easy to win with culture - they deserve that win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
jediknight83 wrote:
Next time we'll implement a new way for tie-break scoring: now techs will score as many points as their level is:

Doesn't that just make the tie-breaker favor tech instead of culture, while screwing economic wins even more? Since now there are 35 points available for tech, while still only 21 for culture and 15 for coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:

It seems to be a lot easier to win with culture in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio Spadaro
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:

Not anymore, with the expansion culture has been heavily improved and powered.

Peristarkawan wrote:
jediknight83 wrote:

Doesn't that just make the tie-breaker favor tech instead of culture, while screwing economic wins even more? Since now there are 35 points available for tech, while still only 21 for culture and 15 for coins.

I don't think so, because a culture player is going to research most of the times at the end of the turn, as a tech player. At the end of the game a tech player should have 4,5 techs more than a culture player. The great unbalance is on the culture track, where a culture player has scored 21 points and a tech player less than 7.

Btw I have tried to implement that in our last game, and I want to outline that it was a 4p game with all experienced players. Romans who went and won by culture scored 20 points with techs, Russians 38. Total score (culture+coins+techs) was 47 to 45 for Romans. They would have won anyway but it's far more balanced in this way.
I think it could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Culture was lame, now it is an all-time-allstar.

They need to think a little more about balancing, the game was unbalanced because culture was not worthy, now it is unbalanced because you MUST devote to culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:

They need to think a little more about balancing, the game was unbalanced because culture was not worthy, now it is unbalanced because you MUST devote to culture.
When playing without the great person deck, but with the investments, I don't think Culture is over/underpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:

After some plays of FaF i changed my mind.

We play with the full expansion, and culture is not bigger then military.

I think the only tweak I would agree is: Metalcasting doesn´t have a COIN, Railroad DOES have a COIN.

This would mean I would actually SEE someone using railroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.