Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

All three games - CR, WoA, LoD - provide a stable and premium basis for a dungeon crawl system.
But why limiting oneself to dungeons, caves or caverns?
My first step to expand the game system was to create a subsystem focussing on the team's travel to the place of darkness.

This subsystem uses the same - but reduced - game mechanics as the "main" game. It serves to provide some challenges, events and fun to the players as they move their characters to the main objective.
It also allows to train the players in the combat system and the use of the adventurer's powers.

Here is an example for such a "travel to the dungeon".

This prequel took about 15 minutes to play.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe, very interesting!

Did you read citizenben's post about a West Marches campaign style?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/740911/on-going-campaign...

It suggests a pre-determined map. We could implement travel encounters like yours and I had thoughts about adventure outcomes affecting the campaign map ala Risk Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi KY,

thanks for the reply - why am I not surprised ...

This expansion - phase 2 now, i.e. the first set of glitches has been repaired - does not use any pre-arranged or whatever map. It is all self-developing, like a dungeon but also a little bit different.
It uses "Location" cards both for terrain and specific places.

In addition, I use a kind of "compass" system to determine the bearings of the team's travel.

For combat purposes I use small battle boards to allow easy and quick execution of fights between the adventurers and the monsters. The original combat rules are all in use.

Objective #1 is to further stabilize and improve the "Travel" expansion, objective #2 is to introduce whole adventuring outside dungeons. And all this, of course, without the need of a Game Master.

Another example for new elements added to the game system: "Situational Condition" cards. They offer options for the adventurers but also slightly manipulate their behavior - if the players remain ignorant of those effects.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maier
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is outstanding. It really is a self-developing model, and it is 'module-less'. Now it would also sort of worth with the West Marches idea as well. Outstanding work, I can't wait to see where you take this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.