Popular Tags: [View All]
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually ran into the situation in our last game where we exhausted the commodity deck and only had the two discard piles. Should the discard piles be reshuffled at this point and two new discard piles started or should we shuffle all but the top card on each discard pile, OR should we just leave it as 2 discard piles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't reshuffle so the only option would be to draw from the discard piles, that means that the Trajan tile that lets you draw two cards would be useless as it requires that you draw the two cards from the deck. Same goes for the option to lay down 1 or 2 cards as when you redraw that also has to come from the deck. The draw 2 / discard 1 option would also not be available as those cards must come from the deck as well.

I've never seen the deck anywhere near running out though, so maybe you are playing a rule incorrectly? In general the shipping action is one of the weaker actions, I try to take it only 3 or 4 times over the course of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm pretty sure we got it right...it was a bit different from my previous two games though in that all of us pursued a bit more shipping than usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this does seem extremely unlikely to occur.

60 cards total, 12 in hand to start the game assuming 4 players. So, 48 cards in the deck, that requires a minimum of 24 shipping actions, assuming all 24 actions were used just to draw 2 cards from the deck. In reality, it would be many more than that, as surely some times the shipping action chosen would instead be drawing from a face up pile that matched already held cards, and each player would need multiple actions to put a few cards down on the table for points (which is the entire point of getting these cards in the first place).

So that's something like 30-35 shipping actions combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After already played a few games of Trajan I also thought that it is quite impossible to ever use all the cards. I was wondering if - with the cards - the same happenend as the +2 tiles: They just forgot to take some out.
Obviously I was wrong...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Wow, this does seem extremely unlikely to occur.

60 cards total, 12 in hand to start the game assuming 4 players. So, 48 cards in the deck, that requires a minimum of 24 shipping actions, assuming all 24 actions were used just to draw 2 cards from the deck. In reality, it would be many more than that, as surely some times the shipping action chosen would instead be drawing from a face up pile that matched already held cards, and each player would need multiple actions to put a few cards down on the table for points (which is the entire point of getting these cards in the first place).

So that's something like 30-35 shipping actions combined.

Steve,

Don't forget the trajan tiles that allow you to pull 2 cards off the deck (extra action). I think those were exhausted in our game. It was one player's first play, another was the 2nd time, so we're all still figuring out what our best strategies should be.

As I recall, I think we almost exclusively drew from the draw pile as we were careful to not discard cards other people wanted most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Don't forget the trajan tiles that allow you to pull 2 cards off the deck (extra action).

True, I forgot about that. But getting those tiles also takes actions, so the overall count is around the same. Either way, it's still a ton of actions needed, and I think pretty unlikely to occur.

Personally, I agree with Shawn, and wouldn't re-shuffle. Part of the game is discarding cards on top of cards that others want, and this would ruin that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that its very unlikely to occur in most games, but this wasn't most games As it was, we managed to exhaust it "just" before the end of the game (it was in the last time around the time track).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
garry_rice wrote:
Don't forget the trajan tiles that allow you to pull 2 cards off the deck (extra action).

True, I forgot about that. But getting those tiles also takes actions, so the overall count is around the same. Either way, it's still a ton of actions needed, and I think pretty unlikely to occur.

Personally, I agree with Shawn, and wouldn't re-shuffle. Part of the game is discarding cards on top of cards that others want, and this would ruin that.

Well if the 3 Seaport extra action tiles plus 2 wild extra action tiles are used with +2 tokens to take cards that's 30 cards. If all 9 Trajan tiles are used that's another 18 cards. So we are up to the 48 without even taking a basic shipping action on the rondel.

But I also would not shuffle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zark wrote:
Well if the 3 Seaport extra action tiles plus 2 wild extra action tiles are used with +2 tokens to take cards that's 30 cards. If all 9 Trajan tiles are used that's another 18 cards. So we are up to the 48 without even taking a basic shipping action on the rondel.

Just to be pedantic, you can only use those 5 extra Seaport action tiles after you take 5 basic shipping actions.

But yes, this extremely single focus game play would seriously empty the deck more than I said. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.