James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/12/civil-liberties-ip/

This dichotomy played itself out over and again in 2011, as lawmakers — Democrats and Republicans alike — turned a blind eye to important civil liberties issues, and instead paid heed to the content industry’s desires to stop piracy.

“Any civil liberties agenda was a complete non-starter with Congress and the Obama administration,” said Cindy Cohn, the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s legal director. “They had no interest in finding any balance in civil liberties.”

Interesting article
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brave new world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The average American is too lazy and apathetic. By the time they've lost enough civil liberties for things to really sink in and finally motivate them, they'll no longer have the liberties and freedom to do much about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
The average American is too lazy and apathetic. By the time they've lost enough civil liberties for things to really sink in and finally motivate them, they'll no longer have the liberties and freedom to do much about it.

I'd say that's partly true. I'd also probably say the other half can talk a good game, but that's about it. They aren't really interested in doing anything about it, but will bluster about on the internet until they turn blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This isn't likely to work out well for anyone. IMO there's now a good reason for the internet to fragment.

A possible outcome: during 2012/2013 normal users will learn about encryption, and technical people start setting up "darknets". Private DNS servers will spread (I read a few days ago that ".bit" is already up),

Governments will get even more annoyed about the wide availability of encryption, but it's probably too late already (they won't find it easy to distinguish between legitimate use and questionable use).

If the US Government really decides to treat "IP theft" (as it's about to be defined) as a criminal act, soon 90% of the population will be automatically criminalized. /lol - they'll have to make recreational drug usage legal to free up spaces in prison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
The government is siding with business interests over everything else? You don't say...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.