Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play the Hacan, and recently I've been musing on what I would do when I do get them. Right now the issue giving me the most trouble is where to go techwise. Should I head straight for XRD Transports? Or should I forego them to get War Sun technology instead? Despite the Hacan's legendary wealth, I'm pretty sure I couldn't get both in time, so I am curious as to what those who've already played the Space Lions think. Which would you go for, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Basse Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
As with most things in TI3, it depends.

They certainly can do either, and even both if required.

The other day I won a game as Hacaan, and the only techs I bought were Antimass Deflectors in round... 4 I think (primarily because I had an Asteroid field next to my home system and figured I'd grab XRD and/or Gravity Drive) and Gravity Drive. Primarily because I had gotten my Flagship + 2 mercs stuck in a Gravity Well the round before that.

Sometimes strategy cards, resources and CC as well as objectives dictate the optimal play, but certainly, Hacaan is one of the races who can do great with War Suns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Harmon
msg tools
I managed a narrow Hacan win in my last game.

I was playing against Letnev, Yin, Arborec, Mentak and Naalu. My direct neighbours were Mentak and Letnev. I bought off the letnev with a trade agreement and zero interest loans when they needed them. They betrayed me mid game but I had enough PDS out and production capacity to hit them back.

I went Micro Tech (for wealth) then Hylar (to be less of a target) and Deep Space Cannons (even more so). This was partly so I could go to War Sun quickly if things called for it but they didn't so I never got it.

Just before end game I made sure I got datahub node transfer or whatever the racial tech is that let me steal strategy cards. In the end that card was what won me the game by letting me steal the 8 Bureaucracy card from my trading partner. It's so situational but in the right circumstances one of the most important techs the hacan can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hacan are my favorite race to play.
I usually go down the Yellow Blue bath with them and rarely go for WS tech. I find that with expansion and later more powerful Fighters they do just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have played them more than a few times and they have several powerful advantages.

1. Tri-Planet Home System. While a little harder to defend early game, you can put 3 space docks and 6 PDS units in one system. This allows you to maximize you gain from sarween tools.

2. Money, even without good planets you can out-produce most antagonists.

3. The bigger the game the better, when you have large games, give one TA to your most warlike neighbor to buy peace, and put the other one up to bid. One game I had 2 players bidding against each other for my TA and I received 7 TG for my contract (this return is not normal I will admit).

I usually tech for deep space cannon first to keep people out of my area (an average of 3 dead ships before fighting starts will discourage any early game shenanigans). From there you can nab warsuns or microtech. And if you are packing micro, you may as well grab nano to protect your investment in the warsuns.

Hacan can research warsuns around turn 2-3 depending on what strategy cards you get and have the economy to buy them almost as soon. Keep in mind that their abilities are more powerful early-mid game, By late game other races with power builds will have almost as many toys as you and they will better combat ability to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solan wrote:
I have yet to play the Hacan, and recently I've been musing on what I would do when I do get them. Right now the issue giving me the most trouble is where to go techwise. Should I head straight for XRD Transports? Or should I forego them to get War Sun technology instead? Despite the Hacan's legendary wealth, I'm pretty sure I couldn't get both in time, so I am curious as to what those who've already played the Space Lions think. Which would you go for, and why?

I am inclined to go for War Suns when I play Hacan - they can afford them and they are easy to get. XRD requires 2 techs and War Suns 3 techs. If there is an Asteroid Field in a trick place for you and thus Antimass Deflectors is important, then go for XRD. Otherwise Antimass is a 'wasted' tech. Deep Space Cannon, on the other hand, is always a good buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.