DIG: the Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Always mine from highest level to lowest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Mather
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
You'll find that only levels 3-5 can cave-in, so you always want to start mining from 5 down to 1. This way, your odds are the best that you'll get some gems out of the higher number mines before a cave-in happens.

I know that once you've opened all 5 it's mostly a moot point...because one of them (3-5) is going to get crushed....but during the earlier days when you've only got 1,2 and 3 dug, starting with 3 is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
You, sir, would make an excellent mine foreman!

Very good strategy call-out!

PaulMather wrote:
You'll find that only levels 3-5 can cave-in, so you always want to start mining from 5 down to 1. This way, your odds are the best that you'll get some gems out of the higher number mines before a cave-in happens.

I know that once you've opened all 5 it's mostly a moot point...because one of them (3-5) is going to get crushed....but during the earlier days when you've only got 1,2 and 3 dug, starting with 3 is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something worrying my wife discovered is that, if she simply piles every single dwarf she has into Level 1, she mines a huge number of draws every turn with zero risk. Her side of the table looks a little funny but it works very well.

We're trying to find something in the rulebook that will deal with that, but so far no luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Grondhammar wrote:
Something worrying my wife discovered is that, if she simply piles every single dwarf she has into Level 1, she mines a huge number of draws every turn with zero risk. Her side of the table looks a little funny but it works very well.

We're trying to find something in the rulebook that will deal with that, but so far no luck.

Nope! Nothing prevents sneaky wives from out-smarting their husbands!

Hmm. I wonder how that overlooked strategy competes with having riskier, higher-level tunnels stocked with multi-draw bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:
Hmm. I wonder how that overlooked strategy competes with having riskier, higher-level tunnels stocked with multi-draw bonuses.

So far she's kicked our little tails -- lopsided wins like 47 to 18 (most recently) but most often winning by 15 or so gold. Master dwarves rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Grondhammar wrote:
CalebSkye wrote:

So far she's kicked our little tails -- lopsided wins like 47 to 18 (most recently) but most often winning by 15 or so gold. Master dwarves rule

Ack! Rules revision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never seem to be able to play more than 1 dwarf ( with tools ) at a time from my hand during dig phase so I make sure I move a current dwarf and dig a new tunnel and THEN place the dwarf from my hand to dig an even deeper lvl tunnel. If you play the dwarf from hand first, you dont get your tunnels as deep as quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:
Grondhammar wrote:
CalebSkye wrote:

Ack! Rules revision!

That's an easy change. You can just give a Dwarf cap on each level. "No more than three Dwarves in a single Tunnel," or something like that. Although it might not be a completely necessary change, depending on what you're planning on doing with the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
CalebSkye wrote:
Grondhammar wrote:
CalebSkye wrote:

Ack! Rules revision!

That's an easy change. You can just give a Dwarf cap on each level. "No more than three Dwarves in a single Tunnel," or something like that. Although it might not be a completely necessary change, depending on what you're planning on doing with the expansions.

Great idea! I'm thinking on that.

Stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.