Brady Boothe
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domestication - Meld the lowest card in your hand. Draw a 1.

What do you do in those situations where you can't meet the first part of the dogma, but can meet the second part of the same dogma?

For example, this dogma was shared with me. I had no cards in hand, and so therefore couldn't meld. Of course, a card was available to draw.

One player viewpoint was that because I couldn't meet the first part, I shouldn't get the second part. This player reasoned that if one were allowed to take the second part without having to do the first part, then the designer would have split it out as a second dogma effect. There are numerous cards with multiple dogma effects.

Second player viewpoint was that it was a second sentence and therefore should be followed. They cited situations where one is told to trade "the lowest cards in their hand", but they have none and therefore it's just an unfair trade. They also pointed out that other cards have language similar to "Do X...if you do, then Y." and believe that if the designer didn't want you to draw a card on Domestication unless you had a card to meld, they would have used that language.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do every part of a dogma effect that you can. Ignore the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pungent wrote:
...They also pointed out that other cards have language similar to "Do X...if you do, then Y." and believe that if the designer didn't want you to draw a card on Domestication unless you had a card to meld, they would have used that language.

Correct. There is no conditional language on the card so there is no condition to be met. So the player with no hand card to meld will still draw a 1.

Conditional language is easy to spot:
...if you do...
...if you returned two...
...if it's green or blue...
etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
Do every part of a dogma effect that you can. Ignore the rest.

Ive had the same question for a while now. This will settle many an argument with friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.