Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the fourth Red Star wins the game immediately, full stop. The overall "Goal" section states it as such: "You win immediately when you are the first player to have 4 Red Stars." The section of the attack rules you quoted are listing a couple of possibilities that should be evaluated separately:
if (4 red stars)
then (you win; exit game)
if (want to continue)
then (goto attack)

It's rough pseudocode, but I think that's the intent -- hitting 4 stars ends the game and you skip from that point to the section about ending the game. But I completely see where the other point of view comes from.

Consider, though, if the instructions were in the other order:
if (want to continue)
then (goto attack)
if (4 red stars)
then (you win; exit game)

That's much more obviously a statement that the 4th red star wouldn't end your turn immediately, and that you could keep smashing other players as desired.

I think that last bit also makes the top item better: if you want to go above and beyond victory, such as to eliminate one opponent or keep them from stickering an important space, you could hold off attacking the final HQ -- but you'll have to risk splitting your forces, hoping you have enough troops to do the latter job without knowing what casualties you'll take doing the former.

As for expansion -- I'd completely read past the lack of "1 troop must remain behind". Attacking and Maneuvering are explicit on that requirement, though, and expanding into a city is explicit on having enough troops to overcome the casualties (such that you've got a troop to control the new territory). That notion of "1 troop left behind" is so integral to 50+ years of Risk that I feel safe assuming it still holds for Expansion since there's no explicit exception clause. But yes, it'd be good to hear that from an authoritative source.

//edit: oh hey, from the official non-spoiler thread, p 12 of the rulebook:
Quote:
No territory can ever be left abandoned because all the troops moved into a new territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 8 of the rule book it states that you turn in cards for a red star at the start of your turn.

Which means we played our first two games incorrectly--all five players agreed that if one more resource card was gained by conquering one more territory, player X would win. But you can only buy stars at the start of your turn. I can't wait to tell these two gents that we're putting an asterix next to their signatures. Kidding. Kidding.

It also means that when a player with three stars is about to obtain his or her fourth resource card, every other player can turn up their fearful furnace of war and smash the guy who is about to win at the start of his next turn. I know it would have made for more of a bloodbath in our first two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
lomn wrote:
//edit: oh hey, from the official non-spoiler thread, p 12 of the rulebook:
Quote:
No territory can ever be left abandoned because all the troops moved into a new territory.
Well, technically that rule is under the section for Attacking, and is re-enforcing the fact that the troop that "stays behind" isn't eligible to attack or move into the newly conquered territory. I agree that Risk history, makes this not true.
See the post immediately below the linked one where the designer confirms that you may not voluntarily abandon a territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
No where does it state here that you exit the game (that is stated elsewhere in the rules under GOAL).
Exactly. Neither do the rules continuously reiterate the meaning of "controlled" whenever encountering a new spot where it's applicable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
lomn wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
No where does it state here that you exit the game (that is stated elsewhere in the rules under GOAL).
Exactly. Neither do the rules continuously reiterate the meaning of "controlled" whenever encountering a new spot where it's applicable.
Then, the rules under start of turn are poorly written since they are redundant (or the attack rules are insufficient because they don't say immediately)

If you purchase your fourth Red Star, you win immediately.
Should read
If you purchase your fourth Red Star, you win the game.

But this is done at the start of your turn, correct? So if in a turn (during expand and attack) you capture your fourth territory, say, giving you your fourth resource card, then you must wait until the start of your next turn to purchase your fourth red star and thereby win the game. Or am I not seeing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it makes sense for the game to end when someone wins....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but, what's the point? Sure, you can maybe capture some territory you want, or eliminate a player, but other than that it's not worth the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. But that's a "rubbing it in" sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game ends IMMEDIATELY when someone gets a fourth red star, whether that is by conquest (during attacking) or purchasing it (start of turn).

You can't win the game and then continue playing.

Sorry about the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.