Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Dyer
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello fellow gamers,

I played Eclipse the other night, and I liked many aspects of the game. Quick turns with meaningful decisions, different routes to victory, mechanisms to advance technology and build your area, exploration, area control, and combat was effective, but not overpowered. The problem - I dislike sci-fi games. Are there any games that have a medieval or similar (roman?) theme that features some of these qualities? I want to feel like I am exploring and building my civilization, maybe even advancing technology, but I don't want combat to be sacrificed. I enjoy the slaughter. 

Thanks all,
Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Rise of Empires last night and I think it somewhat fits the bill. The game follows civilizations starting and ending all the way from the Middle Ages to the age of the television. The combat and action selection are very abstract, but I think the game gave a pretty good "civ" feel.

I wholeheartedly suggest Rio de La Plata. It has some really neat mechanics with city building and "tech" advancements along with coopetition. There are MANY paths to victory, and every few years in the game someone gets to play as the attacker against all of the other players and try to godzilla smash the city to pieces. I am absolutely loving this game, it just takes at least 3-4 hours to play. IMO the game almost reminds me of a Splotter game with killing.

A few more suggestions:
Struggle of Empires
Carson City (Although this again is more "city building")
Fire and Axe: A viking Saga

I am also working on a prototype though it is space themed. In it players will have to work together to fight the outside alien forces hellbent on destroying the city you are building with your fellow players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Some others to consider:

Empires of the Middle Ages
Civilization
Conquest of Paradise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On PC you'd be looking for any of the games in the Total War series (if you want to go the digital route). On tabletop...hmmm...maybe the Twilight Imperium series (to a minor extent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgae wrote:

IMHO, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game is the best suggestion of what you are looking for right after Eclipse, but Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is an awesome card driven CIV game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors & Traders might also be up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question...and challenging with Sci-Fi off the table.

I totally agree with those who have mentioned

Through the Ages
Sid Meiers' Civilization(FFG)

and I would add

Runewars - fantasy
Merchants & Marauders - pirates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gentlegiantglass wrote:

A few more suggestions:
Struggle of Empires
Fire and Axe: A viking Saga

I like these two suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Does Cyclades fit the bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.