Subject: Alright, I'm officially addicted to Victory Point Games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, I already own a big chunk of the more advanced games in the States of Siege series, but still ordered Israeli Independence just so I could learn some of the underlying history in the same, unique way that I learned about the Battle of Rorke's Drift, the French Revolution, and Thomas Jefferson's crazy Aaron Burr dilemma. There's just something about the way VPG combines history and games that makes me want to play every single one.

It's hard to come by true solitaire war games, let alone good ones. So, needless to say, I've been in "solitaire heaven" ever since VPG started putting out so many great ones on a repeated basis. So, while I hear that II is the least complex of the SOS games, I still want to explore the game that opened the door for all of these other games I like so much. For $15 tacked onto an already large order, I'll learn some of the history, support the best solitaire gaming company in the world, and have a good time fending off Jordan in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While obviously not everyone is going appreciate nor like SoS, it can be a hobby epiphany when you latch onto the series.

SoS has consistenly provided a plethora of enjoyable gaming moments for me the past few years, whether solo, teaching, designing, playtesting, or playing co-op.

SoS is simply tops in my book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you keep Jordan at 4 and keep them there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boutet
msg tools
mbmbmb
I hear you. I bought Israeli Independence & exp plus Zulu on the Ramparts a couple years ago but once they arrived, I had started renovating the house so tucked them away in a box in the attic. I didn't get to them until about a month ago. Started with Israeli Independence and quickly went through 5 games. Loved the ease of set-up, learning some history & low footprint. ZOR was next and that really hooked me. The local gaming store happens to stock VPG's so in no time at all, I've bought most of their SOS games.

Not much into fantasy games but my 2 daughters are big Avatar fans so I think Legions of Darkness might be a good way to introduce them to some co-op play. I figure they can each be responsible for one of the East/West walls while I take care of the gate. Hopefully try it out today. Then maybe I can introduce them to Soviet Dawn & Levée en Masse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
While obviously not everyone is going appreciate nor like SoS, it can be a hobby epiphany when you latch onto the series.

SoS has consistenly provided a plethora of enjoyable gaming moments for me the past few years, whether solo, teaching, designing, playtesting, or playing co-op.

SoS is simply tops in my book...

I'm really just learning to fully appreciate the nuances of the different games - especially Zulus on the Ramparts, which started off lukewarm for me but has really opened up with repeated plays and a deeper understanding of the history. It is now one of my favorites.

Most VPG solitaire games (especially the SOS series) are like the Matrix - at one point you just start to see how they "hang together" and learn how to manipulate the mechanics. That's a great feeling - especially since the control over the game seems to coincide with one's grasping of the history as it appears in the various decks. That's a sign of strong deliberate game design. It really feels like the game is teaching.

I just ordered We Must Tell the Emperor, Keep Up the Fire, Israeli Independence, and Barbarossa. Now, all I need to get are Legions of Darkness and Malta Beseiged, both of which I'll be getting with my next order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.