Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16361825

Appearantly its one of the older Delfins/Delta IVs, K-84 Yekatarinburg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_submarine_K-84_Ekaterin...

Hasn't this sort of thing happened to the russians before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like she was in drydock and her external anechoic coating caught fire. Nasty stuff. Unless there was hull damage to welds due to the heat, this shouldn't be too bad.

Though a bit older, Delta IV can still be a frontline boat. And yes, the Soviets/Russians have had submarine problems before. One welcome difference: an open disclosure of the issue in the Russian press. We'd have been relying on conjecture and satellite photos to guess what happened if this was 20+ years ago.

(Edited because I didn't ATFQ!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeZerp wrote:

Yes, a Russian Hotel-class sub, the K-19, caught fire some 700+ miles off the coast of Newfoundland. The very same sub had a near meltdown of it's reactor earlier in it's service history, said incident being the (loose) basis for the movie K-19: The Widowmaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
LeZerp wrote:

Yes, a Russian Hotel-class sub, the K-19, caught fire some 700+ miles off the coast of Newfoundland. The very same sub had a near meltdown of it's reactor earlier in it's service history, said incident being the (loose) basis for the movie K-19: The Widowmaker.

Oh, the Red Banner Fleet and decendents have had a lot of at-sea accidents, but I was actually thinking of yard fires or other accidents. I seem to recall something about a SSN near-meltdown while it was tied to the pier, but I could easily be wrong

Edit: Did a spot of googling and found this. I was right, it *has* happened before:
http://spb.org.ru/bellona/ehome/russia/nfl/nfl8.htm#O8

Pretty scary stuff, some of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.