Subject: Diplomacy question we had in our last 5 player game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If player A and player B have an diplomatic relations, and player B has an influence hex in System 1 (no ships).

Player C has a planets and ships in System 2.

Can player A send ships through System 1 to invade System 2 without breaking relations with Player B. We ruled that as long as there is no combat phase with Player A and B. Then their would be no traitor card passed. Including no loss in diplomatic relations.

Player A ---> System 1(controlled by B) ---> System 2(controlled by C)

=======================================================
=======================================================

Can Player A attack Player C going through System 1 without breaking diplomatic relations? (We couldn't find this specific scenario explained in the rulebook)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The diplomatic relations between A and B break immediately when A moves to a system controlled by B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Pop
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook states, for breaking a diplomatic relation:
"Moving your Ships to a hex where the other player has a disc or a Ship is considered an attack."

So, no, you cannot move your ships through the hex controlled by B, it is considered an attack and diplomatic relations are broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's right: Not possible. I mean: yes, Player A can move through the hex, but he would end up with the Traitor token and the Ambassadors would be returned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eike Hanus
Germany
Büttelborn
flag msg tools
GAMES!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the thing is if you move your ships through a system of another player that you have diplomatic relations with the ships do not stop there. Technically you move your ships *to* the last system they stop in during their move. (Of course they could be pinned if someone has ships in the system in question).

Our group decided that moving through a hex does not break relations but moving into a hex does. If a designer could clear this up that would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it breaks the relationships either way. This is probably to keep the rules simple, yet I find this counter-intuitive when it comes actual political relationships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been addressed multiple times, but once more: yes, it does break the Diplomatic relations. Note that the rules say nothing about stopping in the hex -- as soon as you move there, it's considered an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
As an important addendum, moving through a hex is considered moving into that hex, both for purposes of diplomatic relations and whether the ship becomes pinned (otherwise, you'd be able to move through occupied territory, since by any other reasoning your ship would never "be in" the occupied hex, so this obviously is a faulty line of reasoning). This is why moving through someone's territory (even if it's bereft of ships) still breaks diplomatic ties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
twibs wrote:
I think it breaks the relationships either way. This is probably to keep the rules simple, yet I find this counter-intuitive when it comes actual political relationships.

Do you? Don't you ever wonder why the Finnish Army doesn't regularily cross the border to the Russian side (lately..) or ever to Sweden?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about US armies marching through their ally France to attack Germany in WWII? I don't care either way as far as the game (and I know there's another lengthy thread which gets into absurd navel-contemplating about how the fictional universe "should" work), but certainly allies allow their armies to cross their territory all the time in prosecuting wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
But what about US armies marching through their ally France to attack Germany in WWII? I don't care either way as far as the game (and I know there's another lengthy thread which gets into absurd navel-contemplating about how the fictional universe "should" work), but certainly allies allow their armies to cross their territory all the time in prosecuting wars.

Allies, yes. But the diplomatic treaty in Eclipse is not an alliance. There are no alliances in (the base game of) Eclipse (- yet!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eike Hanus
Germany
Büttelborn
flag msg tools
GAMES!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. Will add that to my personal FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edit:

Moving into a hex to do combat earns you the traitor card instantly, or immediately after you enter the hex. (traitor card is passed LOOOONG before combat, we played the game wrong. We didn't pass the traitor card till after combat).

Moving through a hex earns you the traitor card instantly.

edit: they are both immediately, we've been playing the traitor card wrong. The word "attack" was confusing to me in the rulebook. It clearly defines "attack" as moving into a system, not combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Geister
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add some detail to the post about WWII. When marching across France, technically the US was at war with the Germans the whole time, and they fought their way across the country. And later, pulled back and gave it back to France.

In game terms, it was German territory when the Americans marched across it, but they didn't claim the hexes as they went, so they were unoccupied behind them...

So, the dimplomatic relations are still fairly real-life, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.