Subject: Should you buy this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Short answer:
If you like co-op games, then defently yes!

Not-so-short answer:
This game is all about teamwork. Throughout the game, players will argue across the board which aproach to the fire and victims is the best, and this changes constantly, due to the fires that are spreading.

The risk-taking element of the game, is a huge plus -
Should you take out the dangerous items from the house, to reduce the chance of an explosion? Should you hurry through the fire to rescue victims, but put yourself in danger? Should you take it slow, and try to control the fire? ect.

The firespreading-mechanism is very nicely made. I won't go into detail, but it's a nice feeling, that you can try to control the fire, by limiting it to certain sections of the house, and thereby reducing the chance, that it will suddenly spread at an extreme rate.

All in all, a great game, but i do think though, that this game is best enjoyed among good friends (and maybe a beer or 2 :)
I dont know for sure, but i think it would shine a little less, with players that you do not know.

Pros:
-Easy to teach, yet quite strategic
-Plays quite fast
-Nice flow, with little downtime
-Great teamwork and "I'm amongst good friends"-feeling, especially if you manage to win :)
-Great theme
-Nice and clever mechanics

Cons:
I would like to say, that the following cons, I have corrected myself, by putting in house rules (see further down)
-The firefighters can't run out of O2
-If a firefighter gets knocked down due to fire, it can actually be an advantage
-The Fire Engine has unlimited water (I know, it can have, if connected to a hydrant, but this fire engine is moving all the time)

House Rules: (tested, and I think, works very well)
-When each firefighter-class starts outside the house, they have 10 oxygen (use counters). Each time they end their turn inside the building, they use 1 oxygen. To gain oxygen again, you'll HAVE to change class. If you run out of oxygen, you get knocked down.
-If a firefighter is knocked down (either do to fire or oxygen), the other players has 1 turn each to get to him, and rescure him (just by moving to his spot). If they do so, that player starts his next turn by the ambulance.
If they DON'T do that, that player skips his next turn (but still Advances Fire, causing fire to spread), and THEN he'll start by the ambulance.
-The Fire Engine can only be used 6 times.

One final thing that we made as a houserule, is a highscore-table.
It works as follows:
Each human victim saved = +4 points
Each pet saved = +3 points
Each Firefighter knocked down = -2 points
Each Firefighter NOT rescued by teammates = additional -2 points

(You can select defferent difficulities in the game, therefore the following scheme exists)
Easy difficulity = 1x modifier
Medium difficulity = 2x modifier
Hard difficulity = 3x modifier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you should. If it's not your kind of game, you'll probably know someone who would like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YES - buy the game. Lots of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the O2 idea, another person posted about refilling at the Fire truck for an AP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say I'd ever list minor thematic quibbles under the 'cons' for a game

I think Flash Point: Fire Rescue is a great co-op. Its very easy to play and a lot of fun and challenge, and it should be in every co-op fan's collection.

But I can add one con; the dice based fire spreading means the challenge level can be pretty random. That will frustrate some people who don't like that much randomness.

Unless you're a die-hard anti-random fan (I know they are out there!) though, that's not much of a negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game doesn't try to be a fire *simulation*. Things like oxygen and water supply I think are deliberately left out to keep the game from being too fiddly and taking longer to play. If that's what you want, then you probably need to develop a more realistic way for fires to spread, add a "weight" property to victims to determine how hard they are to carry (kids should have less AP cost than adults for instance), different wall thickness/hardness to control how many AP it takes to chop through them, etc..., etc... Only then it probably isn't as fun anymore

Personally, I think the fire spreading should be somewhat random to fit the theme. It's not because fires magically pop up out of nowhere, it's because of imperfect information. You don't know where flammable things are, or what's happening under the floor or inside a cabinet, or when a burning chunk of ceiling will drop down and light a new spot on the carpet, etc...

If you did want to reduce the randomness you could probably house rule something where you make multiple rolls and apply a rule to determine which one is selected - something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great review. What Martin failed to mention in his review is that he is a firefighter. Glad to see that the game is well received in the profession that it honors.

As the publisher of the game I might be biased, but I'd add another item in the "pro" list: Flexibility of the game system.

His houserule to handle oxygen are a great example - and an idea that we had been folloing around with for a future expansion. Kevin Lanzing's design is really open to making these changes without breaking the game - Martin's air rule adds some very nice decision points, increases the difficulty slightly with very little overhead once you are familiar with the core game - don't be surprised if some sort of variation of this concept works its way into a future expansion.

I play this game a fair amount with my family, and I really encourage the boys to think of new ways that things could work. They have fun playing, and being creative at the same time. They don't however have a few beers when they are playing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasella
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
great variant additions. I like all of them.

thanks,

scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! I am now thinking that I should INDEED buy this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for all of your comments

About the thematic points in the "cons"-section, is simply due to that i could not find any other cons

About the random fire spreading: I think it adds to the tension of the game, that you NEVER know for sure wether or not you've won the game, until the VERY end.. Which is a plus, in my opinion.

David:
I totally agree, that this game does not try to be a complete simulation game, though it does capture several things from being a firefighter. What i meant with my cons (espcially oxygen) was, that I personally do think, that in such a great game as this, a basic thing like oxygen should be included (at least, thats my opinion)
And, on another note, fires actually can "magically" pop up out of nowhere in a burning building. In a hot burning building with plenty of air, a couch could easily burst into fire, without having another fire nearby, due to the temperature.

Travis (game designer):
I completely agree with you, that this game is VERY flexible, and players can easily make alot of variations. It's very nice to see a game desgined, so that players really can feel free to use their fantasy.
Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been a big hit with everyone I've played it with so far. Especially my family who wasn't a fan of Pandemic. I think because it is a cooperative game, but it feels like there is more freedom and options in Flashpoint than Pandemic. It is looser, not as tense/tough as Pandemic, but still challenging enough to keep players engaged. Thanks to this, I have played FlashPoint 6 or 7 times since I got my Kickstarter copy, which is a lot of game time for me lately(unfortunately).

This is a great game and great buy in general. I think even those who may not be coop game fans will like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.