Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Jonsson
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey,

I recently bought Dominion and have since played a few games. I would like to ask for help clarifying some of the rules and Kingdom cards.

Are the phases, Action, Buy and Clean-up separated? I.e. do you finish playing all your action cards and then go to Buy phase or do you finish resolving, for example a Market card by: drawing a card, performing an extra action and finishing that and then go to Buy phase?

Does playing a Workshop action card use up your buy in the Buy phase?

If you don't have any Treasure cards on your hand, do you still get to buy Kingdom cards with the coins provided by playing action cards, e.g. Market +1 coin?

Is it allowed to spend extra buys in the Buy phase to get Coppers?

Throne room: if a you choose a Market as the action to play twice, do you [draw 1 card, do extra action and then buy with +1 coin] x2 or is it [draw 2 cards, perform 2 actions and then +2 buy with +2 coins]?

Spy: Does each player decide what to do with their revealed card or does the player who played the Spy decide?

Regards,
Benregn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
benregn wrote:
Hey,

I recently bought Dominion and have since played a few games. I would like to ask for help clarifying some of the rules and Kingdom cards.

Are the phases, Action, Buy and Clean-up separated? I.e. do you finish playing all your action cards and then go to Buy phase or do you finish resolving, for example a Market card by: drawing a card, performing an extra action and finishing that and then go to Buy phase?

The phases are separate. You resolve everything on one Action card before playing another. Only when you have finished playing Action cards do you move on to the Buy phase.

Note that some elements on Action cards do not "do" anything there and then, but instead they add to what you are able/allowed to do later. For example +1 Action does not mean "interrupt resolving this action with another action card" - it does mean "add one to the number of actions that you are allowed to play in your action phase (after resolving this card)". Similarly + Coin means add to the number of coins you can spend in your Buy phase, and + Buy means add to the number of cards you are allowed to buy in your Buy phase.

Quote:
Does playing a Workshop action card use up your buy in the Buy phase?

No - you Gain a card there and then. (Note that many of the terms used on cards, including Gain, have specific meanings defined in the rules.)

Quote:
If you don't have any Treasure cards on your hand, do you still get to buy Kingdom cards with the coins provided by playing action cards, e.g. Market +1 coin?

Yes. The number of coins that you can spend is the total number of coins generated by cards that you have played, including Action cards and Treasure cards (played in your Action and Buy phases respectively).

Quote:

Yes, you may buy cards up to the number of buys you have (1 per turn, plus any from Action cards), and up to the number of coins you have. Since Copper costs 0, you can always use spare buys. Of course, this may not be a good idea, since if your hand has a lot of Coppers it is less likely to generate enough coins for a higher value card than if you have Silver or Gold.

Quote:
Throne room: if a you choose a Market as the action to play twice, do you [draw 1 card, do extra action and then buy with +1 coin] x2 or is it [draw 2 cards, perform 2 actions and then +2 buy with +2 coins]?

It is the former - you do everthing on the card once and then do it once again. Of course, with Market it doesn't make any real difference since drawing a card is the only thing that "happens" while resolving the card - the other elements all add to the number of things that you can do afterward.

Quote:
Spy: Does each player decide what to do with their revealed card or does the player who played the Spy decide?

The person playing the card. In general, when the card text says "you" or "your" it means the person who played the card.

Quote:
Regards,
Benregn

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo make phases in order separately once per turn.
You resolve action cards separately in order, each from top to bottom.
Market does not makes you play an action in the middle of it's resolution.
The "+X cards" is made immediately.
The "+X actions" gives you immediately X aditional action(s) for your action pool. You can't use this actions before finishing to resolve the Market or wathever action card that gives you the actions. You add it to your pool of available actions count.
The "+X buy" gives you immediately X aditional buy(s) for your buy pool. You can't before finishing to resolve the complete action phase. You use the available buys in your buy phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon K
Netherlands
Zaanstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) seperated (action -> buy -> cleanup)
2) no (lets you take a card instead of BUY one)
3) Yes (even without any money you could still BUY copper or even Curse because you still have 1 or more BUYS)
4) Yes (Be careful with buying coppers, you might instead want to get rid of them instead of buying more!)
5) Resolve each market separately one after another but watch out! extra BUY does not mean you should BUY at that point. It just means you will be able to BUY extra stuff in the BUY phase. Same with the extra ACTION it will just give you room to play an extra ACTION to play in the ACTION phase
6) You choose (Your choice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
Quote:

Yes, you may buy cards up to the number of buys you have (1 per turn, plus any from Action cards)[...]

Action cards and/or Treasure cards. No Contraband left behind!

Excuse me for the nitpicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it -would be- worth mentioning if Contraband were worth using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
And if, you know, Contraband were actually in "Dominion base version" and therefore actually relevant to this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I noticed that, too, but he's just being complete because anyone can read this thread--not just the OP.

Still smilin'! -->

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.