Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2-player games, I wonder:
how do you keep track of which police pawns you have already moved in a turn?
how do you keep track of which police pawns have already made his action in a turn?

I have played my first game -as the Police- and as sometimes I wanted to start with different police pawns depending on the circunstances and it was really hard to remember and be sure which were already used in this turn.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
how do you keep track of which police pawns you have already moved in a turn?

We use the coloured counters (one for each policeman) that you use to place the policemen on the board at the beginning of the game (and to move them between nights). Just move each token to a partcular part of the board to indicate the policeman has moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geocentrix wrote:
We use the coloured counters (one for each policeman)...

I don't want to wear them too much for when I need them being unrecognizable with more than 2 players.
Anyway I could use other color tokens in the same way you propose.
Thanks for the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
geocentrix wrote:
We use the coloured counters (one for each policeman)...

I don't want to wear them too much for when I need them being unrecognizable with more than 2 players.
Anyway I could use other color tokens in the same way you propose.
Thanks for the idea.

I was using the counters until I noticed that they were showing signs of wear while the bluffs were not- obviously a problem.

So I then started using the oval portrait tiles, as in the 2p game they serve no other purpose.

At this point though I don't use any aids as my opponent and I are both too concentrated on the board for there to be mistakes, plus we take notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
I was using the counters until I noticed that they were showing signs of wear while the bluffs were not- obviously a problem.
So I then started using the oval portrait tiles, as in the 2p game they serve no other purpose.

I was thinking only on the oval portraits as an option. (Which I don't want to wear for more than 2p games).
The hidden police tokens must stay totally unrecognizable so I don't want even touch them unless when it's needed in the game.

verandi wrote:
At this point though I don't use any aids as my opponent and I are both too concentrated on the board for there to be mistakes, plus we take notes.

Maybe I'll reach that...but my memory is too bad.

Thanks.

[I'm so happy with this game! Waiting to be Jack for the first time in my next session.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
sometimes I wanted to start with different police pawns depending on the circunstances

Each night the police must stick to a set order. You can't just change the order willy nilly to suit your needs. Even though sticking to one pattern throughout the night will sometimes result in certain policemen blocking the others intended route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Each night the police must stick to a set order. You can't just change the order willy nilly to suit your needs. Even though sticking to one pattern throughout the night will sometimes result in certain policemen blocking the others intended route.

Is that in the rules or in any oficial indication?
(Don't forget the question is particulary for 2-player games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
Is that in the rules or in any oficial indication?
(Don't forget the question is particulary for 2-player games).

According to the rulebook:

Starting with the head of Investigation and proceeding clockwise around the table.

Personally I can't see why police queue jumping due to bad placement should be allowed, even in a 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
According to the rulebook:
Starting with the head of Investigation and proceeding clockwise around the table.
Personally I can't see why police queue jumping due to bad placement should be allowed, even in a 2-player game.

But in a 2-player game there is only one police-player around the table!
Also by definition of the rules the "Head of the Investigation" is a player and not a police pawn.

My question would be easily discarded if there exists some pre-defined order or police-queue, but I still don't find it exists in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
asj
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The round ovals. Lay them down when you move, and turn them face down if the officer rushed in.

I don't see any real benefit from terms of fun or theme to fixing the police to stick to an order. But using he ovals again is the way to do that. Jack has enough of an advantage, police don't need more handicaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched a little more about police pawn movement order and I found this thread.
It has even a non-oficial designer answer:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/661610/player-order-for-...
An extract of it is:
Quote:
The rules let a player who controls more then a pawn to move them in the order they wishes. They move all of their pawns, then the next player in clockwise order does the same and so on. The player who controls the Chief Inspector act first and the pawn of "the boss" color must be used first by that player. Then, the order for the other colors is free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
I searched a little more about police pawn movement order and I found this thread.
It has even a non-oficial designer answer:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/661610/player-order-for-...
An extract of it is:
Quote:
The rules let a player who controls more then a pawn to move them in the order they wishes. They move all of their pawns, then the next player in clockwise order does the same and so on. The player who controls the Chief Inspector act first and the pawn of "the boss" color must be used first by that player. Then, the order for the other colors is free.

Read
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
comments for my views.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Lay out the players aids, move one investigator at a time, place a marker on each player's aid as you go along the line of player's aids. Use a chess piece as a marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have solved my question just playing my second game, this time as Jack devil.
I kept track of the police pawns who move.
So the police player can concentrate in his moves and Jack -that is free at this stage- keeps track of the police pawn who have moved.

I have taken the colored oval-portraits in my hand and put them down on the table when the corresponding colored police-pawn has moved.
The police player which in this case is also novice in the game -and has also in this case bad memory- asked time by time wich police pawns haven't moved yet and I simply showed him my hand with the remaining colored ovals.

(Just wanted to let this simple idea here if someone stumbles sometime with the same question).
(Sorry for my terrible "englich").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.