Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last several months I've been noticing an increasing number of "gaming for charity" events coming up on various news sources, and was thinking about how great it would be if something like that were to be held in my area.

However, since the gaming community is nearly non-existent around here (except for one large convention a year which is mostly miniature based rather than board gaming), it's not likely to happen if I just sit around and wait for it... so I was thinking of trying to organize something on my own.

Has anyone else here dealt with setting up such an event from the ground up?

I know for example that one of the first problems would just be finding somewhere to host it - there's one shop in the area that *might* be willing to sponsor an event but their table space is pretty limited. There's another event a couple of times a year that uses a "community center" type facility in that town - which I suppose I could look into in this area, but I mean, how do you make sure you charity event not only makes money for charity, but doesn't actually end up screwing you out of hundreds of dollars for reservation fees, when you don't know up front how many people would be attending?

I've noticed a few of the larger events have a "sponsor me for x number of hours" type things, sort of like a running marathon - if money were to be collected like that, how do you get things set up so that when people donate they can make the donation tax deductible? (especially since I've already been thinking of trying to set up a "participate from home" option which would likely mean everything would need to be done through the internet).

How much work is involved in coordinating everything for something like this?

Just mulling things over in my mind and wanted to get a few thoughts on the matter....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first question you need to ask is which cause/organisation are you going to be raising money for. There may people who will be able to help, and may even have premises in which to hold it. Also, if it's like the UK and the charity is big enough, they will already know what to do about tax and other fundraising issues, so you could leave that to them and just get on with how the gaming is actually going to work.

The next question is how the money will be raised. Will you or a small group be sponsored for a gaming marathon, or will it be open gaming where a game library is available for people to play for a donation? The second one will most likely make more money, bit you will probably end up playing less games yourself and spending time teaching games to others and possibly supervising groups.

I'm organising a sponsored 24 hour event for a local church in February, with the intention that it would be me being sponsored for playing the whole time and a few other folk paying to play me. Unfortunately someone with a reputation for getting the wrong end of the stick advertised it as an open gaming event to a local youth group. Now suddenly I'd got possible child protection and supervision issues to think about in the event that 30 8-to-15 year-olds turn up. I'm probably going to drop it all back in this person's lap and say something like no unsupervised U13s, but it's something that needed attention that I hadn't anticipated.

Anyway, hope it all goes well for you - keep us posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.