Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even playing since 2007 (or maybe BECAUSE I've been playing since 2007), occasionally I forget a rule or two.

Q1 - Can HQs add their leadership rating to the firepower of HE mortar attacks?

Per 1.3.3.2 in the Untold Stories rulebook, HQs can add their leadership rating to the firepower of any one attacking unit in their hex. Section 1.3.4.3 does not note an exception for mortars, as far as I can see. In many other games, leadership does not modify indirect fire attacks, but this isn't all those other games, this is WaW!

Assumed answer: Yes, HQs may add their leadership rating to the firepower of one HE mortar attack in the hex.

Q2 - Leaders can modify ANY value on the platoon's counter? Really?

OK, this isn't really a rules question, per se, more of a balance question - I had an opponent coming at me with an East German T-72 platoon with a leader attached. He consistently modified the armour save value to 5 (from 6). He was rolling four dice, saving on fives, against direct fire. From everything I read in 1.3.6 in the Untold Stories rulebook, this is entirely legal.

4-5 armour and 9 morale for the purposes of disruption recovery AND always being in command is an extremely potent combination.

Assumed answer: Yes, ANY value. It's right there in the rules, stupid!

I think I found a little trick for leader-killing, though. Hit the hex with mortar fire (if/when you have it) first, potentially disrupting the unit. Since the save is based only on the infantry cover value AND the save number is NOT on the counter, it may not be modified. Then hit the hex with all the fire you have.

How do other people use leaders or counteract the effectiveness of leaders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
Even playing since 2007 (or maybe BECAUSE I've been playing since 2007), occasionally I forget a rule or two.

Q1 - Can HQs add their leadership rating to the firepower of HE mortar attacks?

Per 1.3.3.2 in the Untold Stories rulebook, HQs can add their leadership rating to the firepower of any one attacking unit in their hex. Section 1.3.4.3 does not note an exception for mortars, as far as I can see. In many other games, leadership does not modify indirect fire attacks, but this isn't all those other games, this is WaW!

Assumed answer: Yes, HQs may add their leadership rating to the firepower of one HE mortar attack in the hex.

Hi,
i only recently started to play WaW platoon system but, as far as i know playing with B&B, i do not see any reason for not consider Leadership for Mortars attack too.
Leadership is added to its He firepower.

As far as concern the second question, even i post in this forum i do not own TUS so i can not reply You.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the Great Mortar Debate of 2010(or, maybe it was 2011?). It was leadership added to mortars that made them so pernicious. Yes, leadership adds to mortars.

Although I believe the TUS Leader rules to be abusable, it doesn't make sense to me that they could modify armor saves, but not infantry cover saves, but I agree, them's the rules. There also is not a prohibition about stacking an HQ with a Leader and getting an extra fire dice (HQ) with an extra "to hit" enhancement (Leader). Very potent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
ZombieMark wrote:
Remember the Great Mortar Debate of 2010(or, maybe it was 2011?). It was leadership added to mortars that made them so pernicious. Yes, leadership adds to mortars.

Although I believe the TUS Leader rules to be abusable, it doesn't make sense to me that they could modify armor saves, but not infantry cover saves, but I agree, them's the rules. There also is not a prohibition about stacking an HQ with a Leader and getting an extra fire dice (HQ) with an extra "to hit" enhancement (Leader). Very potent.

I thought leadership mods were for ATTACK only? WTF>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't confuse HQ rules with the Leader rules in TUS. Two different things that could work together. Not say'n itza good thing, I'm jus say'n.

You know what I'm say'n?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was discussion on Consimworld on this subject. IIRC the consensus was that a leader can modify indirect fire. Also the save as noted. It was also understood that you CAN put a leader + HQ + unit in the same hex. The rational was the leader is enherant to the unit. Whereas the HQ actualy represents an element discrete to the unit and leader. So instead of three elements there are actualy two, the HQ and the leader-led-unit.

Please go there and check around post #6811 for the discusion and answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.