Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a weird year. Today we have submarines burning on dry land. What's next -- dogs and cats living together?

So as my thoughts once again are drawn to submarines, where I spent so many years, I was wondering about what people think about the current crop of submarine games. I've seen a Geeklist that's over 5 years old, but perhaps I'm missing out on a classic out there somewhere.

Additionally, what do you think it is that draws people to this genre?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
There is only one REALLY good tactical Submarine game.

Submarine

It cannot possibly be done any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I enjoyed Attack Sub, though it has very limited scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boeke
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Silent War and had fun with Wolfpack (until I figured out the system), but I'm anxiously awaiting The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:
Additionally, what do you think it is that draws people to this genre?

Lone wolf scenario. Just you, your men and your ship. You've got some loosely defined objectives, but it's all up to you!

I am also very much looking forward to The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 as it's been billed as a game much like B17: Queen of the Skies which I'm a fan of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wert
United States
Corydon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any games where you pilot just one sub instead of a commanding a whole fleet?
Like Silent Hunter(video game) cum B-17: Queen of the Skies?

Edit:
Scrogdog wrote:
Lone wolf scenario. Just you, your men and your ship. You've got some loosely defined objectives, but it's all up to you!

I am also very much looking forward to The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 as it's been billed as a game much like B17: Queen of the Skies which I'm a fan of.

Well, that's what I get for skimming too quickly.
Sounds awesome. Is it the only one in that niche so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to operate modern subs realistically, and in a realistic environment with ASW subs, ships, and aircraft, I suggest looking at Harpoon Series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
U-Boat Leader is also out there, but you get to control more than one submarine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hohbogehnomoztan wrote:
Sounds awesome. Is it the only one in that niche so far?

Nope. Two of the games already mentioned above I agree are quite good. Submarine and Up Scope. Both tactical games.

For PC, I'd say Silent Hunter III, but that's just me. Later titles in the series missed the mark in various ways, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dan Versson game U Boat Leader is fairly new, it's a solitaire game where you are the "flotilla commander" but it resolves individual boat actions.

The mentioned "The Hunters" is available for pre order on GMT's website. It will a be a lone boat approach. There is a thread on Consimworld and the designer will answer your questions.

If you like Captain Nemo then I'd suggest Victory Point Games: Nemo's War. It is a solitaire game where you recreate the voyage from the book and try to equal or exceed Nemo's voyage. It's fun, plays quickly and has great replay value.

I agree on SH III for the WWII period, I still like to play on line.

For the modern try Dangerous Waters by Sonalysts. Since they do (or did?) many of the classified sims for the Navy you get a pretty good product.

As for the attraction: I'm a retired Army guy but have always had a fascination with submarines. While I was still on active duty I had the opportunity to hitch a ride on an SSN as she transited the Panama Canal. It was terrific, we were shown every part of the boat and spent quite a bit of time with the XO and others.

I've visited every sub museum I've been able to get to around the US. I learned recently there's a Foxtrot in CA so guess where I'll be headed as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallye72 wrote:
The Dan Versson game U Boat Leader is fairly new, it's a solitaire game where you are the "flotilla commander" but it resolves individual boat actions.

The mentioned "The Hunters" is available for pre order on GMT's website. It will a be a lone boat approach. There is a thread on Consimworld and the designer will answer your questions.

If you like Captain Nemo then I'd suggest Victory Point Games: Nemo's War. It is a solitaire game where you recreate the voyage from the book and try to equal or exceed Nemo's voyage. It's fun, plays quickly and has great replay value.

I agree on SH III for the WWII period, I still like to play on line.

For the modern try Dangerous Waters by Sonalysts. Since they do (or did?) many of the classified sims for the Navy you get a pretty good product.

As for the attraction: I'm a retired Army guy but have always had a fascination with submarines. While I was still on active duty I had the opportunity to hitch a ride on an SSN as she transited the Panama Canal. It was terrific, we were shown every part of the boat and spent quite a bit of time with the XO and others.

I've visited every sub museum I've been able to get to around the US. I learned recently there's a Foxtrot in CA so guess where I'll be headed as soon as I can.

Thanks Martin. I picked up U-Boat Leader, but haven't got it to the table yet. Have seen some interesting discussion threads on it -- many talking about how easy it is to game the system. Hopefully it will settle in to be a fun game.

Hopefully you've got to the Submarine Force museum and the NAUTILUS in Groton CT. Another great place to visit is the USS BOWFIN and museum at Pearl Harbor. BOWFIN is a WW2 fleet boat, and in great shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.