Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Boarding Director or the Hijack Plan card there is mention of direct breach damage.

According to the rule book it mentions 'specific types of direct damage'.and, if I am interpreting correctly, if the words 'hull' and 'shield' are omitted from the description then the damage should be considered 'direct damage' and be applied to shields then hull as normal.

For boarding parties this seems to make little sense as why would they damage shields first? Surely breach damage should be applied directly to the hull and bypass shields entirely.

I was wondering if I am just over analysing the situation here or if the word 'hull' should really be mentioned (i.e. Direct Hull Breach Damage).

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, you can breach the areas where shield systems are powered. making it direkt hull might be too tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Head_Rat wrote:
According to the rule book it mentions 'specific types of direct damage'.and, if I am interpreting correctly, if the words 'hull' and 'shield' are omitted from the description then the damage should be considered 'direct damage' and be applied to shields then hull as normal.

For boarding parties this seems to make little sense as why would they damage shields first? Surely breach damage should be applied directly to the hull and bypass shields entirely.

I was wondering if I am just over analysing the situation here or if the word 'hull' should really be mentioned (i.e. Direct Hull Breach Damage).

Any thoughts?

I would personally agree with your analysis and if you and I were playing a friendly game, I'd gladly accept that interpretation.

Until we get our first expansion *cough*, I doubt we'll have an official clarification (if then) of more crunchiness around the types of direct damage....so go with it for now.

Maybe someone who's played in an "official" tourney can respond? Did gen-con have one this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the Hijack Plan card cause slower destruction can help the Wretch too, since it gives more chances for a ship takeover rather than ship destruction.

If you want to justify it thematically, view it as the boarding party having standing orders to take out the shields first to assist with the takeover, but ultimately they're willing to destroy the ship if they're unable to gain control of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Did gen-con have one this year?

Yes. I helped to run it. I can't give an official answer on behalf of Hasbro, but I can tell you that at the GenCon tourney we ruled it as the rulebook describes it -- direct damage that hits the shield first, followed by the hull. Only when the damage type specifies "direct hull" or "direct shield" does it behave differently.

Again, I can't speak on behalf of Hasbro, so I'm just another guy with an opinion here.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Having the Hijack Plan card cause slower destruction can help the Wretch too, since it gives more chances for a ship takeover rather than ship destruction.

That's a good point that I hadn't appreciated yet as every time I have used Hijack Plan I rolled an 8 first or second time... much to my 7 year old son's annoyance

cbs42 wrote:
If you want to justify it thematically, view it as the boarding party having standing orders to take out the shields first to assist with the takeover, but ultimately they're willing to destroy the ship if they're unable to gain control of it.

That was something I had considered as well and I guess is the one I will go with when I introduce the game to my gaming group. Unless I can convince them to use house rules on a first play

Cheers for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
I would personally agree with your analysis and if you and I were playing a friendly game, I'd gladly accept that interpretation.

Until we get our first expansion *cough*, I doubt we'll have an official clarification (if then) of more crunchiness around the types of direct damage....so go with it for now.

Sounds good to me. Based on my, albeit, limited experience so far, this game is a hit with my family and I also look forward to expansions.

Cheers for the reply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Arcoraci
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I understand the rule:

Page 9 lists "Key Terms" which define each type of damage.

Direct Damage is applied like normal damage. Remove shield (blue) pegs first, then add hull (red) pegs. There are specific types of direct damage.

Direct Hull Damage is applied only to the hull, and Direct Shield Damaged is applied only to the shields.

Referring to page 8, under Types of Direct Damage you basically defer to the card or, "treat those specific types of damage as generic shield, hull, or direct damage".

Basically my understanding is that any damage with the word "direct" in front of it, either removes a blue peg(s) and/or adds red peg(s) once the blue peg(s) are used up.

If an attack causes shield damage you are only removing blue pegs and never adding red pegs. If an attack causes hull damage you are adding red peg(s) and not removing any blue peg(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your understanding completely.

However, the original poster was positing that perhaps "direct breach damage" should be interpreted as "direct hull damage" since the wording of the card, etc. makes it seem like that may have been the intention.

Officially, this would be "wrong", but in casual play it might add flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Arcoraci
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this on another forum.

Breach damage is just like any other damage. It affects shields first then hull. The designation "breach" is for all of the cards and abilities that work off of breach damage. Some characters or ship upgrades may allow you to ignore breach damage.

http://battleshipgalaxians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27&...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poboxgarret wrote:
Breach damage is just like any other damage. It affects shields first then hull. The designation "breach" is for all of the cards and abilities that work off of breach damage. Some characters or ship upgrades may allow you to ignore breach damage.

I read that forum too.... there is some interesting stuff on there.

However, whilst I do not disagree with the rules interpretation given there I do not feel it is thematic.

Cheers for answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.