United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter got her first job, a seasonal position during the Christmas holiday and worked a lot of hours. She struggles with time management and worked like a dog between school and work. It was tough.

Yesterday she cashed a $200 check on her way to meet some friends at Chipotle and then later that night realized that her wallet wasn't in her purse. She's thinking it may have been left at Chipotle. She called, and as you'd expect, they couldn't find it.

So, all that hard work...for nothing, no money. And to make matters worse, she's got to get a new driver's license, new bus pass, she's out a few Christmas gift cards, and the cash she had in the wallet.

She cried all night. I feel so bad for her.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, life lessons. They are tough. But the only way to learn them is to live them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I hadn't lost a wallet through a minor distraction many years ago, I would never have learned to regard my wallet in public as I would my kidneys today.

Hopefully, it only takes one of these experiences for your daughter, not many.

As a parent, knowing she cried all night must have been brutal on you. Kind thoughts to her (and you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:

Hopefully, it only takes one of these experiences for your daughter, not many.

I sure hope so.

aaxiom wrote:
As a parent, knowing she cried all night must have been brutal on you. Kind thoughts to her (and you).

Yeah, it was a rough night for all of us. Well, except her 15 year old brother. He's a bit like Data from STNG.

One bright note, we just got back from checking in person this morning (she only called just after closing last night) and as luck would have it, there was an employee that cleaned last night and they'd found it. All of the gift cards, her driver's license, CPR certification, OSU BuckId card, etc. were still there. The money was, as expected, gone but not as bad as originally expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tought lesson. did you replace the money for her or does that ruin the lesson?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:

No we did not. Emotionally I want to...but, we can't. It's got to be just one of those painful moments. She doesn't expect us to either. She understands and, as she put it, "This just sucks!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
riddlen wrote:

No we did not. Emotionally I want to...but, we can't. It's got to be just one of those painful moments. She doesn't expect us to either. She understands and, as she put it, "This just sucks!"

This is true, however, not having to replace all that other stuff (ie drivers license) makes it suck less. Speaking from a guy who has had to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New and Improved
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah she should consider it as a best case ending for the most part.

I have had my wallet stolen and had to replace everything. And then put up with the credit card company calling me every few days to see if I had tried to use the card I had already reported stolen. All they would tell me is that it was used at a gas station in town. Wouldn't say where exactly. Stupid m8834575602s kept trying to use the card for weeks.

Not to mention the handful of occasions where I would just plain lose stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
riddlen wrote:

Good for you. I had somewhat similar situations with both of my sons and we didn't "bail" them out. Both of them remember what we didn't do and have thanked us.

Makes you feel good to be a parent. There are tough life lessons for us too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.