Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Gates of Firestorm Keep (WoA pseudo D&D campaign) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started a campaign game with my family to introduce my kids to Dungeons and Dragons without having so much setup time as normally required in a normal game of D&D. First a bit of background.

About 12 months ago I played Heroes of Hesoid with them:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/monstersl...

To my surprise they loved it. So using those simplified rules I recreated the D&D Red Box adventure from 1981. They loved this as well but it was way too time consuming to do that regularly.

So I ended up toying with the idea of using the Adventure System as a simplified version of D&D. First we played The Legend of Drizzt straight up scenario by scenario which they enjoyed and had no problems understanding. I then started a modified WoA campaign this week.

I will use this thread to provide a track of what we are doing and how it is going adventure by adventure. It maybe useful to other people interested in playing with young kids.

House Rules
1. Players choose 1 character and use it the entire course of the campaign. Only in death can they pick another character.

2. New characters start at level 1

3. New characters start with no treasure items.

4. When a monster is defeated the character draws 1 treasure token. Maximum of 1 per character per turn.

5. Characters start with 2 Healing Surges per adventure. If they use 2 surges and are still defeated they retreat back to town and permanently lose 1 healing surge for the remainder of the campaign. Loss of the last surge means they have failed in their mission to defeat Ashardalon.

6. Permanent death occurs when both surges are used and no healing is applied to a downed character.

7. Characters may use coin to buy new items in-between adventures. Or they maybe sold for half price in town.

8. Fortunes and Blessings are a separate treasure pile and may not be purchased. They are drawn from a “silver” treasure deck every monster killed.

9. One event card is drawn in-between adventures to represent inter-adventure activities and events. http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64402/ninjadorgs-dd-advent...

10. Character power cards can only be flipped over in-between adventures or as the result of an event.

11. Small creatures are not affected by cramped passageways and tiles.

12. When disengaging from a monster or villain if the character ends their move not adjacent to the monster, the monster gets a free attack. Engaged means the character is adjacent to any monster on the board.

13. If more than one character is engaging a monster both characters get a +1 flanking bonus to hit. This bonus applies to monsters as well.

14. Level up only occurs between adventures.

15. Using standard level up benefits: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0swR_EZ3AV8/TsEqdNIqWKI/AAAAAAAAA5...

16. Monsters should be played as intelligently and logically as possible. For example fire elementals are not affected by fire attacks but take +1 damage from water attacks. Water elementals ignore environmental effects due to size (like the narrow passageway) etc.

17. Line of Sight is enforced.

18. Each player rolls for their own character whenever a trap, hazard or other event is drawn that affects them. This represents the idea of reflex save and such (which is abstracted in AC).

19. Area of Effect attacks vs. monsters are rolled individually – so one attack role per monster.

20. Retreating from the dungeon is OK however once returning the monsters are better prepared

a. Any monsters in play when the party retreats spawn the first opportunity possible once the player returns and reveals a new tile.
b. Draw an extra token for the rest of the dungeon.

21. Rogue trap related abilities work on locked doors and chests as well giving the rogue a bonus to unlock doors and a 1 to 5 chance of disarming the trap on a chest before exploding.

The Party
•Solomani il Xafra. Dark Elf Fighter (aka Drizzt). Played by Dad.
•Maline il Xafra. Human Archer (aka Cattie-Brie). Played by Mom.
•Jarlaxia il Xafra. Half-Elf Rogue (aka Jarlaxle). Played by Alita, 8 year old.
•Drake. Human Barbarian (aka Wulfgar). Played by Lex, 6 years old.

Chamber deck is not quite random. I organized them in a specific order that I feel is logical. I use Heroscape and Warhammer minis for custom monsters generally. I also have the painted D&D minis for the characters. This actually works well as the characters really stand out and look heroic compared to the unpainted monster figs.

I have all 3 games so some scenarios will use all available items. However they will generally be customized so they match thematically to the enemy.

Adventure 1: Endless Horde, 25/12/2011
I had a bunch of Night Goblin figures from Warhammer so used these for the Endless Horde adventure. They fought the Weeping Moon Clan. Used a standard treasure and encounter deck but monster deck only had Night Goblins, Forest Goblins, spiders and spider swarms. The party dealt with this one pretty handily though I had to modify the Night Goblin to-hit from +5 to +2 as double spawns of the little guys overwhelmed the 1st level party at first and they had to retreat to Longbridge.

Here is the custom monster deck I used:

Ochre Jelly x2

Carrion Crawler x1

Goblin Blackblade x1

Goblin Spider Rider x3, only 1 was spawned, other two appeared in latter decks surviving to scenario 4.

Bugbear Boss x1, Chamber boss

Hobgoblin Elementalist x1. Survived to fight another day.

Night Goblin Warboss x1.

Horned Skull Brute x3.

Night Goblin Shaman x1. Lived on to fight another day.

Night Goblin Archer x3. Wiped out.

Night Goblin x4. Wiped out.

Treasure: Goblin Choppa x1

Just a note though I made these cards many of them are either directly updated copies from the BGG archives or a mix and match of different monster types. Much credit to ChromaticDragon and NinjaDorg whose monsters and other cards saved me a ton of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! It's so fascinating to see how more and more gamers are adapting these games to suit their own personal style.. which is exactly the type of thing that the classic RPGs encouraged. I've come to see the Adventure System as a Living Boardgame but with the evolution driven by gamers themselves instead of the game company.

But I digress... great work Michael! I love the Bootlicker ability.

Edit: Thanks for the link to Heroes of Hesiod, I hadn't seen that before. Something I will definitely try with my young daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maier
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fantastic stuff. I've currently been trying to put something loosely based on Firestorm Peaks together. This is just outstanding, great work on the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. More session updates and more monsters to come.

Chromatic there was also a choose your own adventure on the website which I played with the kids. But its now "hidden" on the website. Here is the link though the intro has been removed:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4tut/leopardp1

I have the whole thing in PDF if you want it.

My daughter enjoyed playing this with me as well. I used this as a another "tide me over pseudo D&D" to give me time to get the adventure system campaign setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Adventure 2: Orc Clan Lair 26/12/2011

Another straight up fight with some custom orcs – The Orc War Boyz Tribe. Whenever the home made monsters are killed they are gone permanently. So some surviving Night Goblins made it to this scenario but it was mostly orcs. Eventually the home-made Orcs and such will totally disappear the deeper the party gets as each successive tribe is wiped out. I do keep 1 generic card from each deck – the most common and weakest – who continue to soldier on fighting the party. They meet a few cultists as well screaming about “the ceremony” and how “the master can’t be stopped!” Unbeknownst to the party Ashardalon is an Alienest and is attempting to re-open a permanent gate to the Far Realm which would mean the end of all life on the heroes world. Think Cthullu or the "Dark Powers" from Hellboy 1.

Treasure deck unchanged. Encounter deck I removed a lot of traps as the orcs are not cunning trap makers - otherwise it was unchanged.

Monster deck contained standard orcs, wolves and bears (orc pets) as well as the following custom deck (I used Heroscape Gruts as the orcs for this adventure):

Black Orc x1

Eye of Grumnsh x1

The infamous Krug from Heroscape. Amazingly he still hasn't appeared yet. x1

Ogre Pulverizer - another Heroscape refugee. x1

Savage Orc Berserker x1

Ogre Warhulk x1

Death Chaser of Thesk x3

Wherever possible I have used standard WotC art work as that gives the cards a nice consistency. But sometimes there just wasn't anything suitable so I would use a mini shot instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Adventure 3: Unknown Warlord – The Drow 27/12/2011

Didn’t theme this deck at all except making the top 10 cards Drow/spider heavy and the encounter deck Lolth/spider heavy as well.

The party (they really need a name) pulled the Vast Gate encounter card when fighting a drow duelist early in the adventure for the first time. This caught their attention so I said that the information came from a note on the duelist which instructed him to scout the dungeon for ways to the Vast Gate.

The party faced off against a Yochlol, drider, a couple duelist and a drow warrior (both the drider and the warrior were from the BGG file section for The Legend of Drizzt).

When the Yochlol was reduced to zero HPs she surrendered and made a bargain with the party. The drow were sent to destroy the Vast Gate that Ashardalon – in his madness – is trying to reopen to the Far Realm after it being shut-off 28 years before by another adventuring group.

Ashardalon is trying to open the gate seeking a Cthullu like “Old One” that will destroy the whole world. Lolth doesn’t want this - she rather have the world to herself. So long as the party continues the fight against Ashardalon and destroys the Vast Gate she offers a boon – all “Mark of Lolth” encounter cards become “no event” cards. The party readily agrees.

I did create a new healing item for the party this adventure as they seem tight on resources with the increased monster spawns.

Potion of Greater Healing x3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solomani wrote:
Chromatic there was also a choose your own adventure on the website which I played with the kids. But its now "hidden" on the website. Here is the link though the intro has been removed:

Thanks! I'll run thru this on my ipad.

I actually started a variant that merges these games with a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story deck. Maybe it will give you some ideas:
Script-Your-Own-Adventure [SYOA] Decks - Bringing this game to the next level!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Christmas my eldest daughter (playing Jarlaxia) created these monsters for me:

And the back as well was a nice touch:

We used them in the 4th adventure. Here are the "professional" versions:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
solomani wrote:
For Christmas my eldest daughter (playing Jarlaxia) created these monsters for me:

And the back as well was a nice touch:

What a blessed dad! Tell your daughter she did an awesome job (and if she keeps it up dad just might have to hand the GM keys over to her).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm in love with your daughter. kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Golem
You left out the toss effect that your lovely daughter put on her card.

Dryad
The first 2 tactics should be swapped. Your daughter got it right. laugh

Witch
The first 2 tactics should be swapped also. What do you mean by "curse activates"?

I have an easier time understanding your daughter's "amateur" version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure 4: Treasure Vault 28/12/2011

This one was a bit lighter hearted. A retired half-orc adventuring in town called Turok sells the party a treasure map for 100gp.

Unfortunately it’s one of Ashardalon’s treasure vaults and as a typical dragon doesn’t like his stuff being stolen. Typical game here. No themeing done. We did have two issues:

1. We played away from home that day and forgot the Ashardalon villain card. We also didn’t have net connectivity. But to my surprise my son had memorized the villain card and we played it based on his recollection. When we got home I checked and he got it spot on.

2. You can’t pull 2000gp worth of treasure tokens without “cheating”. We just assumed treasure cards count (if any pulled) and if the party managed to get all the tokens and get out the last token picked up would make the shortfall.

Last surviving War Boyz Orc died in this scenario. Party is level 3 at this stage so created custom hero cards for each of us.

Drake the Barbarian

Jarlaxia

Maline

Solomani
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Iron Golem
You left out the toss effect that your lovely daughter put on her card.

Dryad
The first 2 tactics should be swapped. Your daughter got it right. :laugh:

Witch
The first 2 tactics should be swapped also. What do you mean by "curse activates"?

I have an easier time understanding your daughter's "amateur" version. :D

Fixed! And my daughter said thanks :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure 5: Warrens of the Kobold Chief 29/12/2011

Heavy re-theming of this adventure.

* Treasure cards untouched.

* Encounter deck was trap heavy to represent the kobold's affinity and skill with traps. Removed all environment cards except the Kobold Trap Maker and set this as the first card.

* Monster deck had a generous helping of custom monsters.

This adventure was epic clocking in at almost 6 hours to complete over two sessions in the same day.

Now each character is pulling 1 monster token per level (so 3 at this point)we get some heavy spawns which just slows the game down but does make it more interesting/challenging.

The first monster they pulled was the Kobold Ogre which freaked them out. I think the key to making the game challenging is having certain tougher monsters like these mixed in before the chamber that forces the party to decide if they should use daily powers or not. Since if they retreat and return the spawns just get heavier (+1 token) which is what happened this game 2 tiles before the boss.

I also used the Legend of Drizzt Cavern tiles instead of the WoA Dungeon Tiles. I organized all the narrow tiles right before the chamber entrance. Party took on both Klak and the Dragonlord as well as a Wyrmpriest, Slyblade and miscellaneous peons. Party was victorious and Jalaxia leveled up to 4th.

I have a lot of skaven miniatures so used these as kobolds and took some of the skaven “mad scientist” vibe and added it to the kobolds.

When they faced Klak he makes it clear he is working on getting the gate powered up open and is almost done and does not want to be interrupted by the pesky heroes! Later, back at town, they take the device to a wizard who says it was an artifact from the Elder Elves who ruled here a millennium ago and used both technology and magic. As best as he can tell the device is some kind of energy source powered by light (a battery for the Vast Gate).

I included rat swarms, all reptiles and the common kobolds as well as these custom cards:

Cave Drake x3

Dire Bear x2

Kobold Peon x4

Dragonwrought Kobold x1

Kobold Wyrmpriest x1

Kobold Slyblade x1

Kobold Ogre x1. This is the flesh golem re-skinned. They hated this guy which means he was a great monster.

Kobold Trapmaker x1. Another one that annoyed the heck out of the party. This guy plus the trap heavy encounter deck meant most tiles had traps at some stage. Jarlaxia was busy disarming them all. Maline helped as well since she had the thieves tools treasure card.

At this point Guenhywver has become next to useless due to almost zero survivability. So created some leveled up versions to make her (and the associated utility) a little more useful:

Tried to make the last one look more epic than the previous versions and threw in a minor special ability.

P.S. anyway to have the pictures appear side by side instead of vertically all the time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solomani wrote:
They hated this guy which means he was a great monster.

I like your attitude. devil

There is a typo on the Dire Bear's HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No typo he is an 8 HP monstrosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solomani wrote:

wow zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maier
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
solomani wrote:

FEAR THE UBER-BEAR!
This is one thing I really enjoy about this game/tool set. You can really take the D&D model and push it. Just because a bear looks like a bear, does NOT mean it's just a bear. It adds a sense of danger to the game. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure 6: The Red Hand of Doom (Elite Regiment) 31/12/11 and 01/01/12

No changes to any deck here just the addition of a few custom monsters. Any intelligent monster pulled I described them as wearing black armour with a red hand insignia. Clearly a uniform of some type. Animals and beasts also had silver collars with the same symbol.

This is the Red Hand of Doom hired and used by Ashardalon to enforce his will. And at this point his will is to kill these annoying adventurers.

At one point Jarlaxia pulled 8 monsters - long hallway (so two tiles) and high token markers:

We stopped playing after two hours just as the chamber tile was revealed so the boss battle, which was something a bit unique, took place today on the 1st. I used Descent map pieces, tokens and figures and ran the monsters a bit more intelligently not being restricted to the card info. Here is the setup:

Door had an Alarm trap attached to it, but Jarlaxia disabled it. I described the corridor as being cavernous and holding hundreds, if not thousands, of bats. When they entered the boss chamber I played the bat swarm environment card.

Solomani used both healing surges by the end of the battle and both Maline and Jarlaxia had 3 hp left. Drake was still good on 8 hp and Solomani was on 5. Encounters also spawned some monsters coming up from behind - Feral Troll, Drow Wizard and Orc Smasher. All wiped out with some good team work.

Here are the new custom monsters introduced this session in addition to the normal deck:

I used Shurrack from the WoA file section (think this is a ChromaticDragon mob). Used the Heroscapre namesake as the figure.

The Wicked Witch who is the leader of the Red Hand of Doom:

Hill Giants x2 but modified them so they are on map but protected by a pit.

Ogre Warhulk x1

War Troll x1

Owlbear x1. My kids decided the Owlbear is immune to Cloud of Darkness, because, he has an Owl head and they can see in the dark. Makes sense to me!

Stone Golem x1

One new treasure item added as well but not discovered yet:

Characters hit level 4 this session. Here are the updated character sheets. Jarlaxia didn't have an extra at-will power so she took a utility instead.

Also added all minor villains now to the monster draw with the Flesh Golem token for the Kobold Ogre. I didn't add any drow as I didn't think it made sense since Lolth is "helping" the party. And no Ravenloft monsters as I want to play that as the next pseudo D&D campaign.

I am concerned at this stage that 4 level 5 heroes will easily overcome the default Ashardalon. Think I'll need to amp his power up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solomani wrote:
I used Shurrack from the WoA file section (think this is a ChromaticDragon mob). Used the Heroscapre namesake as the figure.

I use the same heroscape fig and the greatsword on mine bends the same way as yours. Drives me crazy.

solomani wrote:
My kids decided the Owlbear is immune to Cloud of Darkness, because, he has an Owl head and they can see in the dark. Makes sense to me!

Oh my, they are budding monster activists in the making. Love your kids! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
solomani wrote:

Thanks! I'll run thru this on my ipad.

I actually started a variant that merges these games with a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story deck. Maybe it will give you some ideas:
Script-Your-Own-Adventure [SYOA] Decks - Bringing this game to the next level!

Just read it. Did you progress to making something for WoA by chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately no. I hadn't even progressed to the next CR adventure.

Maybe you could do something similar for WoA. You've certainly been able to come up with a coherent reason for WoA's disparate elements, which is a pre-requisite to developing the details of each "story".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventure 7: Duergar Prison Break and Duergar Stables
Adventure 7: Duergar Prison Break and Duergar Stables (Part 1), 7/01/12

This session I am not introducing any new custom monsters but all the level 5 villains have been added. The Firsestorm Rescuers (as the group decided to call themselves) were made aware of raids by the humanoids in Firestorm keep. Orchestrated by the Duergar for their mines the Rescuers track a raiding party back to the mountain and follow them in.

However before they can enter the dungeon they spot Ashardalon in the skies above Firstorm Peak. With strange lights emanating from the mountaintop. More worryingly for the Rescuers Ashardalon sees them and attacks (with the map cleared):

I set up this encounter using Descent outdoor maps. I knew the default Ashardalon was underpowered vs a level 4 party but I wasn't sure exactly by how much. So I used this as a test. Ashardalon was dead within 3 rounds - so not every player even got an attack in. Clearly poor Ashadalon needs some serious beefing up. Have some ideas already but will leave them for the finale.

From a role-playing point of view I used it as to reveal a bit more of the back story I have going on in my head.

When Maline struck the deathblow time slowed to a crawl. Ashardalon changed shapes into an elfin like woman with fire for hair and bright burning eyes dressed in red robes. She was dubbed The Red Lady by the kids. Before teleporting away she did a typical bad-guy rant and said:

"Fools! You can't stop me! I have no intention of stopping you I just need to delay you! Once I have the gate fully operational I will become a goddess! I will be the new Dragon Queen! And this world will bow to my might or burn!"

That got their attention. It also got the attention of certain other Dragon Queen....

The Rescuer's entered the dungeon and did pretty well facing down 3 villains and their entourage - before calling it a night: Rage Drake, an Assassin sent by Ashardalon (Artemis who was re-dubbed by my daughter as Arkemis) and an Otyugh. The Otyugh was the most challenging and took a few dailies to take out. Ended here for the night:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CrashGem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Awesome stuff you are doing. I was planning to do something similar with my son and daughter. I only have LoD boxed set currently, but plan on grabbing the other two sets.

One question.

How do treasure tokens work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moonstone77 wrote:
Hi. Awesome stuff you are doing. I was planning to do something similar with my son and daughter. I only have LoD boxed set currently, but plan on grabbing the other two sets.

One question.

How do treasure tokens work?

All my sets are mixed up but I believe the tokens are from Ravenloft and the rules on their use are explained in Wrath of Ashardalon. Basically when you kill a monster draw a treasure token instead of a treasure card. Most of the tokens are gp amounts which you use to buy items in town.

The tokens only work in a campaign. Not much use for them in the standard game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.