Ambush!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just starting out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ravester the Gamester
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Can someone explain the process for creating a squad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just starting out, I'd really suggest you use the stats (but pick your own names) from the sample squad in the manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antifringe Antifringe
msg tools
Without knowing where you are stuck, no one can really help you. A few observations that might not be obvious to a newcomer:

1) The higher your Squad Quality is, the lower your Weapon Quality will be. Since this is a strategic choice, Battle Hymn lets you just choose your Squad Quality instead of randomly rolling. I prefer this method myself.
1a) Newbies should start with a high Squad Quality. Dealing with low quality soldiers is not for beginners, and having less weapons options will make set up seem less overwhelming.
1b) It is possible to get a best of both worlds by choosing a very low SQ and carefully building your men up through experience. This is a very advanced strategy, and makes you EXTREMELY vulnerable to casualties.

2) When you buy a solider, the only options you select are Initiative and whether or not to give him Commander status. The other stats are determined by random roll, but high IN soldiers get very good bonuses on these rolls.

3) Newbies should avoid getting soldiers with IN of 0 or 1. Men like these are very difficult to work with.

4) Try to get a mix of INs from 2-4. The more spread out your numbers are, the more likely it will be that someone will always be available for action.

5) Don't buy an IN 5 soldier unless you really know what you're doing. They're awesome, but they are also outrageously expensive.

6) Two commanders is about right. I prefer to get an IN 4 commander and an IN 3 commander, just to keep the actions spread out. There is no rule forbidding you from getting 3 or more commanders, and this can actually be very powerful, but it also feels kind of weird when almost half of your unit are all 'commanders.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravester the Gamester
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Thanks, this helps a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravester the Gamester
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Can you tell me what page those are on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian MacGregor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squad generation is explained in section 4 of the rule book and the tables you need (squad quality table etc) are on the player-aid screen under squad generation tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antifringe wrote:
1) The higher your Squad Quality is, the lower your Weapon Quality will be. Since this is a strategic choice, Battle Hymn lets you just choose your Squad Quality instead of randomly rolling. I prefer this method myself.

Where can I find this. I have Battle Hymn and it's the same as Ambush, you roll for it. I mean, I know I can do what I want but was interested if that's the case.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.