10 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Flavor Text rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The titles of the event cards are very clear for the most part as to which LoTR events they refer to, but has anyone made a list of what each card represents from the book? It has been awhile since I read them, so event cards like "Grima Wormtongue" still make sense to me, but others I don't quite remember.

I know flavor text might be a paragraph in some cases, but I'd still be curious about which ones refer to what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the list, let's all contribute with the parts of the books they are taken from:

FP Character Cards
Elven Cloaks: Gifts given to the Fellowship of the Ring in Lorien.
Elven Rope: Gift given to Samwise in Lorien.
Phial of Galadriel: Gift given to Frodo in Lorien.
Sméagol Helps Nice Master: Quote from Sméagol as he guides Frodo and Samwise to Mordor.
Mithril Coat and Sting: Gifts given to Frodo (by Bilbo) in Rivendell before the Counsel of Elrond.
Axe and Bow:The weapons used by Legolas and Gimli.
Horn of Gondor: The horn carried by Boromir.
Wizard’s Staff: The staff carried by Gandalf.
Athelas: The herb used by Aragorn to heal the wounded.
There is Another Way: Quote from Gollum, informing Frodo and Samwise that you can get into Mordor bthrough the secret stairs of Cirith Ungol.
I Will Go Alone: Frodo's words as he plans to leave the Fellowship.
Bilbo’s Song: Most likely referring to the song "I Sit Beside the Fire", which he sings in Rivendell.
Mirror of Galadriel: The scrying water bowl Galadriel uses to see the possible future.
Challenge of the King: This card refers to Aragorn's act of wresting control of the Palantir of Orthanc from Sauron, revealing himself to the Dark Lord in the form of the rightful King of Gondor. Like the Last Battle, done as an attempt to divert Sauron's attention from the ring bearer.
Gwaihir the Windlord: Lord of the Eagles, who rescues Gandalf from Orthanc, and from the peak of Zirakzigil. And he and his kind brought Frodo and Samwise out of Mordor after the destruction of the One Ring.
We Prove Swifter: Spoken by Aragorn, referring to their need to outpace the Orcs who captured Merry & Pippin.
There and Back Again: Title of Bilbo's book (The Hobbit) about his adventures with the Dwarves.
The Eagles are Coming: Spoken as the Eagles came to the aid of the Free Peoples during the Last Battle.
The Ents Awake: Treebeard: Oldest the Ents, the one encountered by Merry and Pippin.
The Ents Awake: Huorns: The awakened trees that are dangerous unless guided by an Ent.
The Ents Awake: Entmoot: A gathering of Ents, in the book to descide what to doa with Saruman.
Dead Men of Dunharrow: Ghosts of men who once swore to the King of Gondor to fight against Sauron but broke their oath but helped Aragorn to fight of the Black ships.
House of the Stewards: There has been no King of Gondor for many years, the Stewards now rule and keep the throne for the King's return. Denethor, fatehr of Boromir and Faramir, is the Steward during the War of the Ring.
The Grey Company: Aragorn's kinsmen from the north who ride to his aid.

FP Strategy Cards
The Last Battle: The battle at Morannon, the gates of Mordor, against Sauron's armies, calculated to draw his attention away from Frodo.
A Power too Great:
The Power of Tom Bombadil:
Book of Mazarbul:
The Spirit of Mordor:
Faramir’s Rangers:
Fear! Fire! Foes!:
Wisdom of Elrond:
The Red Arrow:
Help Unlooked For:
Paths of the Woses:
Through a Day and a Night:
Cirdan’s Ships:
Guards of the Citadel:
Celeborn’s Galadhrim:
Riders of Théoden:
Grimbeorn the Old, Son of Beorn:
Imrahil of Dol Amroth:
King Brand’s Men:
Swords in Eriador:
Kindred of Glorfindel:
Dain Ironfoot’s Guard:
Éomer, son of Éomund:
Thranduil’s Archers:

Shadow Character Cards
Shelob’s Lair: The lair (close to Cirith Ungol, Mordor) into which Gollum tricks Frodo and Sam in the belief that Shelob will kill them so he can get access to the Ring.
The Ring is Mine!:
On, On They Went:
Give it to Uss!:
Orc Patrol:
Isuldur’s Bane:
Foul Thing from the Deep: The "Watcher in the Water" which attacks the Fellowship as they are approaching the western doors of Moria.
Candles of Corpses:
Nazgûl Search:
Cruel Weather:
The Nazgûl Strike!:
Morgul Wound:
Lure of the Ring:
The Breaking of the Fellowship:
Worn with Sorrow and Toil:
Flocks of Crebain:
Balrog of Moria:
The Lidless Eye:
Dreadful Spells:
Grond, Hammer of the Underworld:
The Palantír of Orthanc:
Wormtongue: Saruman's lackey through whom he works his influence on Theoden, King of Rohan.
The Ringwraiths Are Abroad:
The Black Captain Commands:

Shadow Strategy Cards
Return to Valinor:
The Fighting Uruk-hai:
Denethor’s Folly:
The Day Without Dawn:
Threats and Promises:
Stormcrow:
Shadows Gather:
The Shadow Lengthens:
The Shadow is Moving:
Corsairs of Umbar:
Rage of the Dunlendings:
Return of the Witch-king:
Half-orcs and Goblin-men:
Olag-hai:
Hill-trolls:
A New Power is Rising:
Many Kings to the Service of Mordor:
The King is Revealed:
Shadows on the Misty Mountains:
Orcs Multiplying Again:
Horde from the East:
Monsters Roused:
Musterings of Long-planned War:
Pits of Mordor:

EDIT: Will update as information is added!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Veldrin"]Here is the list, let's all contribute with the parts of the books they are taken from:[/quote]

I know a few, these can be merged into the master list...

FP Character Cards
Sméagol Helps Nice Master: Quote from Sméagol as he guides them to Mordor.
Axe and Bow: The weapons of Legolas and Gimli, used in a friendly orc-killing contest.
Horn of Gondor: The horn carried by Boromir, blown to announce his coming or request aid.
Wizard’s Staff: Staff carried by Gandalf, used for all manner of wizardly things. Wormtongue unsuccessfully tried to forbid it to enter Edoras.
Athelas: The healing herb used by Aragorn on several occasions.
There is Another Way: Quote from Gollum, informing the hobbits that you can get into Mordor by other than the front door - referring to the secret stairs.
I Will Go Alone: Spoken by Frodo as he plans to leave the Fellowship
Bilbo’s Song: There are several, not sure which this refers to. "The Road Goes Ever On and On" perhaps?
Mirror of Galadriel: The scrying water bowl Galadriel uses to see the possible future
Gwaihir the Windlord: Lord of the Eagles, friend to Gandalf
We Prove Swifter: Spoken by Aragorn, referring to their need to outpace the Orcs who have captured Merry & Pippin if they are to rescue them
There and Back Again: Title of Bilbo's book (The Hobbit) about his adventures with the Dwarves
The Eagles are Coming: Spoken by Bilbo in The Hobbit at the Battle of Five Armies and again by (I think) Pippen in LoTR
The Ents Awake: Treebeard: Treebeard is the chief of the Ents
The Ents Awake: Huorns: THe Huorns are the awakened trees, dangerous without a true Ent to keep them in line
The Ents Awake: Entmoot: Entmoot is a meeting of the Ents, seldom called, in this case it is to discuss what to do about Saruman
Dead Men of Dunharrow: Ghosts of men who once swore to the King of Gondor to fight against Sauron but broke their oath
House of the Stewards: There has been no King of Gondor for many years, the Stewards now rule and keep the throne for the King's return

FP Strategy Cards
The Last Battle: The battle at the gates of Mordor against Sauron, calculated to draw his attention away from Frodo
A Power too Great: Gandalf believes that the One Ring is too powerful for anyone to attempt to use
The Power of Tom Bombadil: Left out of the movies, Tom Bombadil is a sort of nature spirit encountered near the borders of the Shire
Book of Mazarbul: The book of Balin's return to Moria and the fortunes of their peopole, discovered when the Fellowship travels through Moria
Faramir’s Rangers: Faramir is Boromir's brother and a captain of Gondor, he and his rangers capture Frodo
Fear! Fire! Foes!: The alert-cry of Buckland in the Shire
Wisdom of Elrond: Elrond is master of Rivendell and offers good advice
The Red Arrow: Token of the alliance between Gondor and Rohan, sent to beg aid from Rohan in the war against Sauron
Paths of the Woses: Omitted from the movies, the Woses are primitive forest men who guide Aragorn by secret ways to speed his arrival
Cirdan’s Ships: Cirdan the shipwright was an Elf who built the ships used to sail to the Grey Havens
Celeborn’s Galadhrim: Celeborn is husband to Galadriel in Lorien, the Galadhrim are his people, the wood-elves
Riders of Théoden: The soldiers of Rohan under king Theoden, known for their horsemanship
Grimbeorn the Old, Son of Beorn: Beorn was a shapechanger in The Hobbit who transformed into a bear and offered hospitality to Bilbo and the Dwarves.
King Brand’s Men: Brand the Bowman is King of Dale, a position gained when he slew the dragon Smaug in The Hobbit.
Kindred of Glorfindel: Glorfindel is an Elf, these are his companions
Dain Ironfoot’s Guard: Dain is a Dwarf and ruler of the Iron Hills
Éomer, son of Éomund: Soldier of Rohan, wrongfully cast out by Wormtongue.
Thranduil’s Archers: Thranduil is lord of the wood elves of Mirkwood, he once imprisoned Bilbo and the Dwarves for trespassing

Shadow Character Cards
The Ring is Mine!: Gollum finally gets hold of the ring at the Crack of Doom
On, On They Went: Frodo and Sam (masquerading as Orcs) were on a forced march through Mordor, whipped to keep moving
Give it to Uss!: Gollum's request for Frodo to let him have the Ring
Orc Patrol: Generic, just a bunch of Orcs marching around
Isildur’s Bane: Another name for the One Ring, so called because it betrayed Isildur, slipping off his finger and revealing him to the Orcs
Candles of Corpses: Refers to the Dead Marshes, where the bodies of men and elves slain in the last war against Sauron beckon the living
Nazgûl Search: They're pretty much always looking for the Ring
Cruel Weather: The snowstorm on Mt. Caradhras, conjured by Saruman. This forced the Fellowship to backtrack and take the Moria route instead.
Morgul Wound: Frodo's injury from Weathertop, where he was stabbed by the Witch King
Lure of the Ring: The Ring pulls on the will, making people desire it
The Breaking of the Fellowship: Shortly after leaving Lorien, this is when Frodo and Sam set out on their own, abandoning the Fellowship - prompted mainly by Boromir's attempt to take the Ring for himself
Flocks of Crebain: Black crows from Dunland spy on the Fellowship as they travel
Balrog of Moria: The Balrog is an ancient evil of flame and darkness, awakened in Moria when the Dwarves delved too deeply long ago
The Lidless Eye: Sauron continually searches for the Ring
Grond, Hammer of the Underworld: The giant siege ram with the head of a wolf used to break the gates of Sauron's enemies
The Palantír of Orthanc: A seeing-stone, Saruman looked too often and was ensnared
The Ringwraiths Are Abroad: They have been sent out on horse to search for the Ring based on information tortured from Gollum in Mordor
The Black Captain Commands: Refers to the Witch-King, leader of the Nazgul

Shadow Strategy Cards
Return to Valinor: Elves leaving Middle-Earth for the Grey Havens
The Fighting Uruk-hai: Big strong orcs bred by Saruman beneath Orthanc
Denethor’s Folly: Having lost hope, Denethor the Steward of Gondor decides to burn himself and Faramir
The Day Without Dawn: Sauron's power darkens the sky in this battle
Stormcrow: Accusation that Gandalf is an unwelcome guest as he only ever brings bad news
Corsairs of Umbar: Ships transport Southron troops rapidly
Return of the Witch-king: The Witch-King returns, after having lost his mount and having to return back to Mordor on foot
Half-orcs and Goblin-men: The troops of Sauron
Olag-hai: A tribe of fighting Orcs
Hill-trolls: Used when great strength is required, such as operating the Black Gate or swinging Grond
A New Power is Rising: Referring to Saruman raising an army of Orcs to make his own bid for power
The King is Revealed: Strider is revealed as Aragorn, heir to the throne of Gondor

A number of others seem rather generic as well, I mainly wanted to catch the more specific quotes and references but there are still a few remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
The greatest political storm flutters only a fringe of humanity. But an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children literally alter the destiny of nations. - GK Chesterton
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks guys, for taking the time to put that together!

Regarding Bilbo's song:
Quote:
Bilbo’s Song: There are several, not sure which this refers to. "The Road Goes Ever On and On" perhaps?

I believe Bilbo's song either refers to "I Sit Beside the Fire" - his song in Rivendell.
However, it could be "Bilbo's Last Song" - not included in the text of Lotr, written more than 10 years after it was published... So seems less likely to me.
Here is a link to it:
http://blue.carisenda.com/archives/jrr_tolkein/bilbos_last_s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome job compiling these. A few of my own suggestions:

Bilbo's Song: I believe Sam meditates on Bilbo's song "The Road Goes Ever On and On" when he and Frodo are lost in Mordor with little hope. It bucks up their spirits. Am I making that up?

King Brand's Men: I believe Brand is actually the grandson of Bard, the bowman of Dale who slew Smaug. Bard became the first new king of Dale.

A Power Too Great: A little odd because it helps the FP. Probably refers to elven wisdom in refusing the ring because, as you say, it is a power too great to safely wield. Or perhaps it suggests that the power of the elven rings (which keeps the shadow out of elven lands) is too great for Sauron to overcome at the present time?

Cruel Weather: the storm on Caradhras was likely summoned by Sauron, not Saruman, given Gandalf's statement that "his arm has grown long."

The Ring is Mine: Frodo says this when he decides not to cast the ring into the cracks of doom, but rather to claim it for himself.

Return of the Witch-King: I don't have the card in front me, but I believe this also refers to his return as King in Angmar, a role he had abandoned long ago. It would therefore be an alternate event that didn't happen in the novel.

EDIT: a couple more:
Imrahil of Dol Amroth: the prince of Dol Amroth, a vassal of Gondor. The blood of the West flows strongly in the veins of his people. He arrives with a contingent of his swan knights to fortify Minas Tirith before the battle of the Pelennor.

Challenge of the King: refers to Aragorn's act of wresting control of the Palantir of Orthanc from Sauron, revealing himself to the Dark Lord in the form of the rightful King of Gondor. Like the Last Battle, done as an attempt to divert Sauron's attention from the ring bearer.

Rage of the Dunlendings: Saruman incited the Dunlendings to help his cause and fight alongside orcs by stoking long-simmering hatred and jealousy of Rohan, and by whispering lies about Rohan's unjust treatment of Dunland.

The Spirit of Mordor: refers to in-fighting among different clans of orcs. I believe the author makes this comment in reference to the slaughter at Cirith Ungol.

The Grey Company: Aragorn's kinsmen from the north who ride to his aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King Brand's Men: I believe Brand is actually the grandson of Bard, the bowman of Dale who slew Smaug. Bard became the first new king of Dale.

Ah yes, my error on that one. I'd forgotten what short lifespans humans have

Cruel Weather: the storm on Caradhras was likely summoned by Sauron, not Saruman, given Gandalf's statement that "his arm has grown long."

The movie specifically shows Saruman conjuring the storm though, I'm pretty sure it was him in the books as well.

The Ring is Mine: Frodo says this when he decides not to cast the ring into the cracks of doom, but rather to claim it for himself.

OK, Frodo, not Gollum. I think you're correct on this one.

Challenge of the King: refers to Aragorn's act of wresting control of the Palantir of Orthanc from Sauron, revealing himself to the Dark Lord in the form of the rightful King of Gondor. Like the Last Battle, done as an attempt to divert Sauron's attention from the ring bearer.

Good catch, I wasn't sure if it was this or him convincing the Dead Men to join his cause, or something else. There are a lot of challenges when you're trying to be King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
"Swords in Eriador" refers to the possibility of the war reaching the region of the North-West (including the Shire), if the Shadow had not been defeated in the battles of Lorien, Mirkwood and Dale.
These events are only referred to briefly by Gandalf in the appendices of Return of the King.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Battle_of_Dale

"Twice blessed is help unlooked for" says Eomer to Aragorn when meeting him on the Pelennor fields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

The movie specifically shows Saruman conjuring the storm though, I'm pretty sure it was him in the books as well.

This is one of my many quibbles with the movie.

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:

'I wonder if this is a contrivance of the Enemy,' said Boromir. 'They say in my land that he can govern the storms in the Mountains of Shadow that stand upon the borders of Mordor. He has strange powers and many allies.'

'His arm has grown long indeed,' said Gimli, 'if he can draw snow down from the North to trouble us here three hundred leagues away.'

'His arm has grown long,' said Gandalf.

This is in Book 1, p. 288. Certainly not conclusive, but they suspect Sauron and don't even mention Saruman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

dboeren wrote:
A New Power is Rising: Referring to Saruman raising an army of Orcs to make his own bid for power

This one indeed embodies the treachery and ambition of Saruman.

The quote itself is more nuanced, reflecting Saruman's bid to recruit Gandalf the Grey as an ally, however sincerely or not. He is actually referring to the new might of Mordor, not Isengard: “I said we, for we it may be, if you will join with me. A new Power is rising. ... As the Power grows, its proved friends will also grow; and the Wise, such as you and I, may with patience come at last to direct its courses, to control it."

Book II, Chapter 2, The Council of Elrond
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding "A Power too Great", I always thought it represented the power of the Elven Rings being to strong to overcome without active intervention by Sauron. (Hence the action die cost and card discards). I don't think it's a coincidence that the three strongholds indicated by the card all contain powerful Elf-Lords with elven rings. (Well, used to have an Elven ring, at least, in the case of the Grey Havens.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.