Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market has implemented their rewards program:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rewards

Here's a summary of the program:
Quote:
How do I earn Reward Points?
For every full dollar you spend on an order, excluding shipping, tax, or any discounted amount, you will earn 1 Reward Point. No coupon codes to enter, no further registration required. Your Rewards Points balance is tied to your customer account, so make sure you’ve registered in order to start taking advantage of the extra savings!

How much are Reward Points worth?
Each Rewards Point is worth $0.01, redeemable on any future order placed using your customer account.

In addition to implementing their program they have given all their current customers 500 points to start with. (A $5.00 value.)

What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. Coolstuff's is better though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw there email, clicked on the link to read the details, then deleted...

for me at least it's worthless incentive... $1 back on every $100 order but unlike funagain whose points don't expire, you can't have a gap in your orders with MM for more than 12 months or all your un-used points expire

didn't see the note you listed though about current customers getting 500 points... have to login to check... I'm one of those who did create a new account after they changed their website and lost my previously existing account. under new account I hadn't ordered yet (since the free ship also at that point went up to $100) so not sure what definition of "current" customer is (having had an account or having placed an order since they redesigned website and lost old customer profiles/accounts)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rose
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
didn't see the note you listed though about current customers getting 500 points... have to login to check... I'm one of those who did create a new account after they changed their website and lost my previously existing account. under new account I hadn't ordered yet (since the free ship also at that point went up to $100) so not sure what definition of "current" customer is (having had an account or having placed an order since they redesigned website and lost old customer profiles/accounts)

I don't know the specifics on the credit. But I saw posted on their Facebook page customers who got a 500 point credit. I logged in and saw I had a credit also.
I'm guessing it's blanket across the board because it wasn't based on purchases. My purchases since the new site released has been over $500.00.

Maybe
Miniature Market
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Miniature Market - Online Gaming Superstore - Miniaturemarket.com
badge
mbmbmb
can give us a definitive explanation how the 500 points was distributed to members.

I do think something is better than nothing, but it it doesn't make me race out and place an order. They have almost always been the cheapest choice when I do price comparisons so this just helps a little more, but we're talking pennies.

If they increased it incrementally based on loyalty like www.coolstuffinc.com that would be awesome.

They are continually compared to CSI so I would think they would want to do what they can to improve on CSI's model instead of adding a feature that is not as beneficial when comparing side-by-side.

Also, they're not always on top of their inventory like CSI, they're always slightly behind the curve. I'm always asking when they're going to add a new game to their pre-order list or list a pre-order as a new arrival and showing them CSI already has theirs updated.

I still think MM is excellent, but I want to see them step up and make their business a "no brainer" choice when it comes to choosing an online retailer for gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
charlest wrote:
Nice. Coolstuff's is better though.
And they give you that nice little visual table, so you can be like, "Wow, I only need to spend $8 billion more dollars and I can get another 1/2 percent off my orders!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rose
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
And they give you that nice little visual table, so you can be like, "Wow, I only need to spend $8 billion more dollars and I can get another 1/2 percent off my orders!!!"

Yep, that table at CSI always makes me looks at what I need to add to my order to get to the next level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't complain about $5 off my next order. Miniature Market may not be as good as CSI in many ways, but on the other hand if you play miniatures games then CSI just doesn't carry much of that stuff (but they do carry more boardgames than MM does).

Room for both to exist I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Once you reach the bottom of the table, you don't have to worry about it anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI's program is better, but look at Miniature Market's prices. CSI is 33% off. MM is usually 38% off. In the long run, even when you FINALLY max out CSI's discount, MM probably still has better / just as good prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miniature Market
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
First, thank you for all of the feedback. We launched the new version of our website back in September 2011 and at that time I came on these message boards and informed everyone that this new website will allow us to do several things we couldn't do in the old format. Our rewards system is a great example.

Right now we decided to keep things simple and only offer 1% back on all orders. In the future we fully plan to expand on that offer by having double, triple and maybe even 5x points days.

I do want to take a second to comment on some other items. I browse many forums to read about our site and our competitors and one of the things I read is that our selection is very limited. When I read that I am dumbfounded. We currently carry over 3,000 board games. If carrying 3,000 games (which is over $100,000 in inventory) is a "limited" selection then we have a lot of work to do.

Another comment that I see all the time is that CSI is cheaper than us once you factor in their rewards program. That simply isn't true. Yes, you can find random examples where they are cheaper but our base pricing is 3-5% less than theirs. Now that we are giving an additional 1% back in the form of rewards that should make us even cheaper.

Earlier in this thread someone said that our points expire in 12 months if you do not place an order on our site. Is that a big deal? If so it would be very easy for us to change it. When we set up the points program we were forced to enter an expiration period and we just picked 365 days. One of the nice things about our reward system is that you can transfer points to other people. If you know you have points that are going to expire you can send them to a friend and avoid that date.

Again, I appreciate all feedback and the only way I am going to improve our selection and service is to hear not only the good stuff we do but more importantly the bad. Please be honest and tell me what we can do better.

Thank You
Steven Lucinski
Owner - Miniature Market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven,
Just a piece of salt here, but when I am scoping out prices I use boardgameprices to check around or see whats in stock. It at least gives me an idea who has what combination of things I am looking for, especially when I want to reach some kind of free shipping level. I am completely oblivious as to how one becomes searchable by these means, but it is definately on my top three sites to stop at when I am looking to purchase a large group.

I did a top 5 hotness search on the site and none of them had your site listed. I dont know how many other people search by these steps but it sure helps comparing everyone at once.

As you noted your prices are very good.

Examples of LOWEST prices for the ONE item:
NOTE: These prices are not all from one seller when compared to you so dont take however this search seems to appear. Also only comparing US companies and without applying any kind of discount from memberships.

-Eclipse
bgp search - 64.99 OOS
mm - 61.38 OOS

-Mage Knight
bgp search - 55.99
mm - 55.00

-A Few Acres of Snow
bgp search - 44.00 OOS
mm - 44.00 OOS

-7 Wonders
bgp search - 30.49
mm - 30.99

-Ora et Labora
bgp search - 41.99 PreO
mm - 43.99 PreO

Hope this helps you see that your prices are just fine and your stock matches up well in my eyes. I just never purchased from your site before and when it was mentioned elsewhere I just assumed (because I am lazy) that you mostly dealt with miniatures.

Edit: grammar and color

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miniaturemarket wrote:
Earlier in this thread someone said that our points expire in 12 months if you do not place an order on our site. Is that a big deal? If so it would be very easy for us to change it. When we set up the points program we were forced to enter an expiration period and we just picked 365 days. One of the nice things about our reward system is that you can transfer points to other people. If you know you have points that are going to expire you can send them to a friend and avoid that date.

that was probably me, and while it is no bigger a deal than anything else it is relevant as I have had more than a year gap between placing orders from the same game etailer. The fact that your competitions reward systems don't expire should probably mean yours shouldn't either... being able transfer points doesn't help if the points still expire unless the transfer now makes the points not expire until 1 year from the transfer date which I'm guessing isn't the case

Just put in 2345 for the number of days for expiration and problem solved, 5 years is more than enough time, 1 year is just too short imho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miniaturemarket wrote:
First, thank you for all of the feedback. We launched the new version of our website back in September 2011 and at that time I came on these message boards and informed everyone that this new website will allow us to do several things we couldn't do in the old format. Our rewards system is a great example.

Right now we decided to keep things simple and only offer 1% back on all orders. In the future we fully plan to expand on that offer by having double, triple and maybe even 5x points days.

I do want to take a second to comment on some other items. I browse many forums to read about our site and our competitors and one of the things I read is that our selection is very limited. When I read that I am dumbfounded. We currently carry over 3,000 board games. If carrying 3,000 games (which is over $100,000 in inventory) is a "limited" selection then we have a lot of work to do.

Another comment that I see all the time is that CSI is cheaper than us once you factor in their rewards program. That simply isn't true. Yes, you can find random examples where they are cheaper but our base pricing is 3-5% less than theirs. Now that we are giving an additional 1% back in the form of rewards that should make us even cheaper.

Again, I appreciate all feedback and the only way I am going to improve our selection and service is to hear not only the good stuff we do but more importantly the bad. Please be honest and tell me what we can do better.

Thank You
Steven Lucinski
Owner - Miniature Market

I agree your prices are insane. Best on the internet. I think CSI is considered to have a better selection for two reasons:

1) In my experience, they get new releases in stock more quickly, for whatever reason. Sometimes a whole week earlier.

2) You tend to have low stock of the things you carry. Often I've wanted to place an order but one of the things I wanted was OOS. CSI starts with 20+ of just about everything.

Prices are most important to me, so I'd still rather order with you guys, but for some people, what you have in stock might matter if it's a pressing issue (Christmas or Birthday or something).

Edit: Another thing to keep in mind is that CSI's discount is on their already discounted price, so that means, a 3% member discount is off of 66-67% of MSRP, so maybe another 2% off MSRP, so that you pay 64-65% of MSRP. With MM you almost always pay 62% of MSRP without needing to rack up points ahead of time. And CSI certainly never just gave everyone $5!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rose
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me... MM is always my first choice and when I price comparison they usually set the bar.

Yes, CSI is a little higher and the discount usually evens out to MM depending on the level. But CSI is always on top of their stock and putting up the latest games, preorders, making changes when preorders are on the shelves, etc...

There have been many e-mails from me to your customer service saying "Hey, I (or my friends) want to place an order, but you don't have this game listed... are you getting it, should I wait or should I buy elswhere? I would prefer to purchase from MM."
The response is usually that if it's on the order/restock list it will be updated weekly, else we're not getting it at this time...

I'd like to see MM put themselves in front of the competition and leave no place for comparison.

If you're always compared to CSI prices then constantly shop CSI and set your prices equal or lower?

If you're always compared to CSI rewards then make your rewards program the same or better.

Transferring points is not a perk. People usually purchase and watch points so they can get a discount on their next order, not so they can send a friend an e-mail. "Hey I just sent you a dollar off your next order."

Take off the points expiration. If you plan on keeping your customer and know you're the best in the business then why do you need something that makes them come back in a year. If you're the best place to buy from then they'll be back whenever they decide to purchase. If the technology says it needs a date then you need a new programmer, or put in 99999 days, etc...

Yes, to make some of the changes you will be making less profit, but in the end your sales will increase because you will get more customers switching to MM as first choice.

I'd like to see you notify your customers on your mailing list first of breaking news, announcements and new programs. Example, I'm on the mailing list but I didn't hear about the rewards program starting up. I got the news by happening across it by accident.

If you're constantly reading the forums and blogs and people keeping saying the same things for comparisons, then make the necessary changes to squelch those comparisons hands down. If you do so I think it would cause a ripple affect by word of mouth that you're now the OLGS to set the bar by, and not the other way around.

Yes, MM does things right or they wouldn't be doing well. I'm bringing up the negative because that's what should change or improve.

I only bring this up because I want to see MM do well and I think MM is always behind the curve, just ever so slightly.

I'm a huge supporter and MM gets my word of mouth to anyone I talk to about purchasing games... but I also mention CSI because for most, CSI is the bar setter. I want MM to set the bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeviantMagick wrote:

Transferring points is not a perk. People usually purchase and watch points so they can get a discount on their next order, not so they can send a friend an e-mail. "Hey I just sent you a dollar off your next order."

Strongly disagree. I combine orders with friends all the time to save on shipping, and being able to pool our rewards is GREAT for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rose
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel it's enough of a perk to suggest it offsets the idea of having a sliding scale rewards program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miniature Market
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Joseph, thank you for the response. Earlier today I emailed our programmers and we are working to change the point expiration date from one year to five years.

Also, we didn't send out a mass email about the program because we wanted to let it run for a week before we notify 50,000 people about it. I wanted to make sure it was working correctly first. That email is going to go out next week.

We can easily come up with a reward program to crush CSIs but then we would have to raise our base pricing. Right now board games are the lowest profit margin item that we carry so we can't just cut prices or give our more discounts to get more sales. If we reduced our prices even by as little at 1-3% then we wouldn't carry board games at all because we would be losing money.

We are going to work on the selection problem. Right now we can do one of two things. We can carry more quantity of the existing games in our system or we can expand and carry an additional 750-1,000 more titles. We can't do both. I would love to hear from people to see which they would prefer.

Thanks as always for the feedback - Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miniaturemarket wrote:
We are going to work on the selection problem. Right now we can do one of two things. We can carry more quantity of the existing games in our system or we can expand and carry an additional 750-1,000 more titles. We can't do both. I would love to hear from people to see which they would prefer.

I can tell you the biggest problem I have with boards & bits is that because Tom keeps such thin inventory levels it seems I run into the problem more often than not that everything I want to order at the same time is not in stock (and not back order-able)... by the time the the out of stock items come back into stock other games in my cart go out of stock.

Really only need to carry more quantity of existing titles if they are titles that are more popular... and only need to keep enough on hand such that you can re-order from wholesaler when it drops below the threshold so you get more copies in time before the quantify drops to zero (with new website maybe the software is already automatically keeping track selling patterns and automatically tell you what you should re-order when).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miniaturemarket wrote:
Joseph, thank you for the response. Earlier today I emailed our programmers and we are working to change the point expiration date from one year to five years.

Also, we didn't send out a mass email about the program because we wanted to let it run for a week before we notify 50,000 people about it. I wanted to make sure it was working correctly first. That email is going to go out next week.

We can easily come up with a reward program to crush CSIs but then we would have to raise our base pricing. Right now board games are the lowest profit margin item that we carry so we can't just cut prices or give our more discounts to get more sales. If we reduced our prices even by as little at 1-3% then we wouldn't carry board games at all because we would be losing money.

First off, just to reiterate, you guys are doing great and didn't even HAVE to make a rewards program, to get my business, with your prices as good as they are.

As far as having more stock or broader selection, it's not like you need to make an urgent change. A suggestion:

Would it be possible to program a button so that people can just click when they see something is OOS, as an indicator for you, "I wanted to buy this!" ?

That might help you get an idea if you need more stock of what you have, or just a broader selection.

As far as broader selection, it's been few and far between that it's really affected me. One time you didn't have Famiglia, and you didn't have Can't Stop until I asked on FB (but then you did!).

Another suggestion would be a "Request item" feature, so that people who want your prices can get the games they want. But I don't know how much it costs for you to just go get a game from a distributor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, see about adding a button for people to let you know what they are looking for. You guys (MM) get about 90% of my online business, but I have had to make orders elsewhere from time to time for one of two reasons...

1) You didn't carry the board game or miniature you needed.
2) You carried it, but had none in stock.

If there was a way for me to notify you about either of those, and see the item in stock in the near future, I'd be happy to wait a few weeks - I rarely have need for something quickly - but... with no way to get you guys to order it, it is just easier to buy elsewhere.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miniaturemarket wrote:

for me, the most important thing to do is to allow buyers the option to continuously add items to their non-shipped out orders. both boardsandbits and coolstuffinc allow this which is why they get my business.

were you to do this, then the issue of your small inventory wouldnt be a problem as consumers can buy the games that they want when available and have you hold their order for them until they are ready to have it shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rose
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve- I appreciate that you take the time to read and reply to your customers. It means a lot to know we do have a voice.
miniaturemarket wrote:

I agree with the two suggestions of a button or a way for customers to notify you of both:
*An item is out of stock and I would like to order it.
*I would like to buy the following game from you will you be getting it?

If you're able to implement those suggestions then you would have a supply/demand indicator that will tell you if you need to carry more quantity or expand your selections which allows you to adjust your business model and in turn, increase customer satisfaction and loyalty.

For the out of stock option you should have a way to inform customers that you plan on getting the item or not getting the item, and an approximate wait time. (Maybe even have a projected in stock date appear on the pages for out of stock items, when applicable.)

For the suggestion of allowing customers to tell you what games they want that you don't carry, it could be as simple as a submission form. (Only accessible after logging in.) Then the form could auto-populate with the customer's information and include a field that they can enter a hyperlink to the BGG page of the game or another website showing you the game.
Of course replying to the customer whether you intend to carry the game.
Or for games that you get a lot of submissions for, if you implement the OOS alert option you could just enter those new submissions on your site as items you carry and list them out of stock, then the OOS alert button will give you a heads up that you really should carry a product if it hops on the radar from multiple alerts.

I know to do both of those takes some time to develop, but in the end I think it might be more beneficial for your business if you can adjust your model accordingly to the current demand instead of choosing one strategy and hoping it's the right one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:

for me, the most important thing to do is to allow buyers the option to continuously add items to their non-shipped out orders. both boardsandbits and coolstuffinc allow this which is why they get my business.

were you to do this, then the issue of your small inventory wouldnt be a problem as consumers can buy the games that they want when available and have you hold their order for them until they are ready to have it shipped.

Ever just try calling them? I edited an order that included a preorder 4 times before it was shipped, but poor Leanne (customer service rep) handled it easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeviantMagick wrote:
Or for games that you get a lot of submissions for, if you implement the OOS alert option you could just enter those new submissions on your site as items you carry and list them out of stock, then the OOS alert button will give you a heads up that you really should carry a product if it hops on the radar from multiple alerts.

Good suggestion. Amazon either had this at one time or still has it, something like "Want us to carry this item that we already have listed for some reason? Click/write here"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to the idea for the "I want this out of stock item" button, for a logged in user, allow signing up for email alert that item is back in stock. The warstore has this and I have used it several times (for items MM doesn't stock as MM is my primary online game supplier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.