5 Posts

Notre Dame» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens when the number of rats reaches more than 9? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Chalklen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have just tried playing Note Dame for the first time, and one player had the number of rats reach ten, so we did the penalty as stated. At the beginning of next turn, does thenumber of rats stay at nine, therby meaning that he gets the penalty every turn or does it start again from zero? The rules imply staying at nine, but this would be a crippling penalty.

Thanks,

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It stays at 9. It's very important to not let your rats get out of hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The marker stays at nine. And, yes, this can be a crippling penalty. However, you will find that it is manageable with more plays. I rarely go a game without getting hit a couple of times. However, having the rat marker go over nine in one turn does not mean you will take the penalty every round. Players should always look for good opportunities (i.e. when the rat total is low or when the character that makes rats=0 comes up) to remain plague free. And the longer you can avoid that first penalty without devoting too many actions to stopping rats, the better.

Have fun. This is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you stay at 9.

As the "Note" in the sidebar states:

Quote:
Any player who neglects the health of his sector will lose 1 influence marker and 2 prestige points in each round that his rat marker would move beyond 9 on the rat track. While this does not guarantee that such a player will lose, it certainly will not help his cause!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AChalklen wrote:
I have just tried playing Note Dame for the first time, and one player had the number of rats reach ten, so we did the penalty as stated. At the beginning of next turn, does thenumber of rats stay at nine, therby meaning that he gets the penalty every turn or does it start again from zero? The rules imply staying at nine, but this would be a crippling penalty.

Thanks,

Andrew

Yes and no. The marker stops at nine, but that doesn't mean you get the penalty. You only get it when you go OVER 9. So staying at nine is perfectly ok. With a low rat value and a couple of cubes in the hospital you could be just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.