Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Omen Kickstarter campaign continues to slowly advance. I'd like to see it funded, and would love to see some stretch rewards -- which, sadly, seem a little too distant at the moment.

I've seen people in various places ask how they can get Omen into the Hotness, etc. Sure, thumbing pictures helps, but why not try to get someone to actually buy the game? Go give an advertisement at your game group. I've kickstarted at the Grand Melee level (4 copies of the game) by getting three friends to commit (for $30 each rather than $45) by explaining the game (I owed the first edition).

If you don't know the game, WATCH TOM VASEL'S AND/OR MARCO'S REVIEWS. Marco also reviews the expansion, which is included at all levels of KS supporters.

I wish Omen and John Clowdus success in this product. For those of you asking how to help, help get the community interested.

My mini review: (I do know there is now a rule set for 3-4 players -- great!) This is one of my favorite two player games. The cards have multiple uses and various abilities. There are not so many cards that it is too-CCGish (I can find CCGs to be a bit of a turnoff -- I like to own a great base game and not be committed to tons of expansions). Other two player card games that I like are Jambo, Battle Line, and Race for the Galaxy. Omen is easy to learn and definitely offers something new. Some elements are like Jambo -- should I use my card to play or for money? Some elements are like Battle Line -- which city should I attack? Some elements are like Race for the Galaxy (with expansions) -- you go after the achievement cards for extra points (and, in Omen, those cards can either give you many extra VP, like Race, or fewer extra VP but a one-time special use -- unique!). This is a fast two player card game that has a lot of interesting parts to it.

(For a little more background on my interests: I do a lot of two player gaming. I'm also a fan of other two player types of games: wargaming, such as Combat Commander, Twilight Struggle; and abstracts, like the Gipf series.)

I clearly have no affiliation to Small Box Games or the KS campaign -- I'm just a fan, and I think you likely would be, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you posted this. I was actually wondering what I could do. I'll try on the forum of Steam Torpedo (another excellent two player game that has nothing in common with Omen apart from being good for two players)
I posted ads on my Facebook but I'm French and, as you may know, very few French people speak English...
At least I'm trying my best! If we all do it'll surely get funded in the end.
Even without the rewards, I'll be glad if I can get the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been bringing it to my weekly game groups to try and drum up support.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:

Cameron

None in my group backed for 2 reasons.

1: we recently bought the base game. Now, here comes a better edition. Ok, you can "upgrade". Yet, in order to do so you have to spend a foolish amount of shipping fee. No way, considering that we already paid a nice amount of money for the first edition...

2: again, the shipping fees. Way unapproachable if you live in Europe. So, no way to buy the new edition: even if we buy several copie and split it comes out quite an expensive purchase for a game with those components.

In some ways this Kickstarter even damaged my future plans to grab Hemloch and other games from Small Box Games: TOO many editions in few months. I bought Irondale and now there is a new edition with the box, etc, etc...

Same for Omen.

Most probably the same will happen for Hemloch.

So, No way I'm buyng "demos" again, I'll wait straight for the "real" edition of a game and grab it from the website, NOT from Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition is hardly what I would call a "demo".

Yes, shipping to Europe is very expensive and will probably always be a hurdle.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting Chris, that's exactly what I have done as well. Just pledged at the Grand Melee level after generating some interest from a few friends.

Now just gotta wait and see if it meets the goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Europe and supported the game on my own. The resourceful miser level gives me the game + two expansions for 33 usd (including shipping). Yeah, I lose the metal coins, but it is not a big deal for me. Google tells me that 33 usd is around 25 euro, so I still find it a reasonable price for a card game + expansion. Don't you?

I agree that getting only the expansion might be a bit expensive, though. Maybe you can contact smallbox games for a expansion only "resourceful miser" pledge level?

Castef wrote:
Zeede wrote:

Cameron

None in my group backed for 2 reasons.

1: we recently bought the base game. Now, here comes a better edition. Ok, you can "upgrade". Yet, in order to do so you have to spend a foolish amount of shipping fee. No way, considering that we already paid a nice amount of money for the first edition...

2: again, the shipping fees. Way unapproachable if you live in Europe. So, no way to buy the new edition: even if we buy several copie and split it comes out quite an expensive purchase for a game with those components.

In some ways this Kickstarter even damaged my future plans to grab Hemloch and other games from Small Box Games: TOO many editions in few months. I bought Irondale and now there is a new edition with the box, etc, etc...

Same for Omen.

Most probably the same will happen for Hemloch.

So, No way I'm buyng "demos" again, I'll wait straight for the "real" edition of a game and grab it from the website, NOT from Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made my Mountains of Madness geeklist entry Omen: A Reign of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.