Subject: So the train I was on hit someone :( rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was travelling from the Wirral to Southampton Airport Parkway, Thursday 29 Dec. This was on the London Waterloo 19.05 train towards Southampton

This was about half an hour into the journey. The train was mostly empty, maybe 10-20 people per carriage. I didn't realise right away. I was in the 4th car back and was concentrating on reading a book, so I didn't notice anything hit. I felt the train brake harder than normal and come to a stop but I didn't think anything of it. The driver made an announcement asking for the guard to contact the driver - it sounded like something was wrong - he hesitated before speaking into the microphone.

We waited some more and every 15 minute or so there'd be an announcement apologising for the delay. Early on we were told there had been an emergency and they were waiting for the emergency services to arrive, and the driver requested any off duty South West Trains employee passengers to contact the driver. I texted my dad who looked it up on the internet and told me someone had been hit by a train. Another 30-45 minutes or so passed, with more announcements telling us that they were still waiting for the emergency services. The guard (an Indian guy with a turban) walked past me towards the front of the train carrying an orange reflective vest, meaning he was probably going to climb down onto the tracks.

At this point I was still not sure whether it was our train or a train in front that had hit someone. We could hear a helicopter nearby but couldn't see it. The lights were turned down so that only 1 in every 3 was shining. This must have been because the electric 3rd rail had to be switched off and the train was running off its own power cell. Eventually I heard a siren, from a police car or ambulance. I overheard another passenger on his mobile standing by the door say he just saw someone walk past the train, and I caught a glimpse of the helicopter which was circling overhead.

After almost 2 hours the line had been cleared, the power was switched back on again and the train got moving, but only to Woking, the next station, where we were all told to leave the train as it was being taken out of service. I picked up another train that took me to Winchester, and another one from there to Parkway, then a mile and a bit walk to get home.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2105687_woking_man_dies_at...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulclarke339 wrote:
(an Indian guy with a turban)

aka a Seikh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that you were going to say that you missed your flight due to the inconsiderate behaviour of the person who got hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I wasn't getting a flight, Soton Airport Parkway is just close to where I live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
paulclarke339 wrote:

aka a Seikh.

Not necessarily a Sikh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a 4-5 year stretch working for funeral homes that had the coroners contract, and got to clean up after quite a few train Vs ped interactions. I won't go into details here, but some those jobs rate amongst the bloodiest things I have ever had to clean up

I always felt a bit sorry for the poor old drivers who see the person on the track, but can't do a damn thing except watch things happen. Trains don't stop quickly, and even a train that is slowing down has enough momentum to make a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in college, one of my best friend's father was a long-haul freight train conductor. He'd tell us, when he got a few in him, more about what his job was like than I ever cared to learn.

One of the tidbits of information was just how often their trains hit people out on the tracks. More often than not, it's a suicide attempt (how do you "accidentally" find yourself out in the middle of nowhere, standing on a train track?). They'd hit other things too -- horses, cows, dogs, etc. -- and (of course) all the guys kept a running tally each month.

And of course there was a pool.

Now here's the interesting observation I remember making: sometimes it seemed like the pool was for who'd killed the LEAST and sometimes it was for who'd killed the MOST. I can remember his telling us one time they had a pool that month for cows. Another month it was, say, horses.

So the question I always had (but never asked -- it was my friend's dad, after all) was just how entirely full of shit this guy was. That they occasionally hit something or someone is not in question -- as noted above, those trains take *forever* to stop. Basically, if they can see you, it's too late for them to safely stop -- but I was never sure which was creepier; if he was lying about the betting pool or if he was telling the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
So the question I always had (but never asked -- it was my friend's dad, after all) was just how entirely full of shit this guy was. That they occasionally hit something or someone is not in question -- as noted above, those trains take *forever* to stop. Basically, if they can see you, it's too late for them to safely stop -- but I was never sure which was creepier; if he was lying about the betting pool or if he was telling the truth.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was the truth. People deal with horrible shit in different ways. I generally won't talk details about coroners work in public, (and by public I mean parties, forums, even groups of people I'm not familiar with), were out of industry people could hear, because they usually don't have the slightest clue about were you are personally coming from.

It's unlikely you ever would in public, but you ever heard a group of people in the death industry talking (and yes, laughing) about some of the shit we have seen over the years, we would probably sound like the coldest bunch of bastards under the sun. But to a large degree that's how you deal with stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Games!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
paulclarke339 wrote:

aka a Seikh.

Not necessarily a Sikh.

That sucks.

But what does the race or garb of the guard have to do with the story at all ?

Although it does add a bit of flavor, but to what end ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
Second train vs. someone on the tracks death of which I have heard this month. My return trip from Reading towards Guildford was delayed by about two hours on Dec 7th due to such an event near New Malden. It delayed trains coming into/out of London rather badly.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/wimbledonnews/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be a volunteer firefighter and one of my most memorable outings was responding to a call from train station in town that their conductor had run over someone on the track. We got to near where the conductor said it happened and sent our dog out to sniff out the remains. About a minute later the dog came back with an entirely intact human head in his mouth. Needless to say we found the remains soon after. Most of the guys laughed about it, but I was just kind of disturbed. I was always really squeamish about that stuff and did not last too long or ever consider being a doctor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on a train that tore the front of a car clean off. Fortunately, the guy remained virtually unscathed in the cab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

That sucks.

But what does the race or garb of the guard have to do with the story at all ?

Although it does add a bit of flavor, but to what end ?

Probably it's just one of those details that you recall in the odd situations in life, that sticks in your memory. Like if the guy had a mowhawk, or if it had been a particularly attractive woman, or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.