United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 175th TGIF Poll
How many games and expansions do you own that you have never played?

(Note: If you have played someone else's copy of the game, then that doesn't count as "never played". I'm talking about never playing the games, not never playing your copy of the games.)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
7.7% 20
1-10
37.8% 98
11-20
13.5% 35
21-30
10.0% 26
31-40
6.9% 18
41-50
3.5% 9
51-60
1.9% 5
61-70
2.3% 6
71-80
0.0% 0
81-90
1.5% 4
91-100
0.4% 1
101+
14.3% 37
Voters 259
Will you make any gaming resolutions for 2012?
Absolutely
15.0% 40
Probably
9.4% 25
Maybe
12.4% 33
Doubtful
31.5% 84
No Way
31.8% 85
Voters 267
If you were to resolve to play all (or as many as possible) of the owned and unplayed games you talked about in question #1 in 2012,and you really dedicated yourself to that, what percent do you think you would get played?

(Note: This is only games you currently own that are unplayed. Any games you get in 2012 don't count.)
100%
34.9% 90
99-90%
7.8% 20
89-80%
7.0% 18
79-70%
5.4% 14
69-60%
4.3% 11
59-50%
8.1% 21
49-40%
1.6% 4
39-30%
6.2% 16
29-20%
9.3% 24
19-10%
4.7% 12
9-0%
4.7% 12
I answered zero to question #1
6.2% 16
Voters 258
This poll is now closed.   267 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Jan 5, 2012 6:00 am

4. What one game that you own and haven't played will be the hardest to get to the table in 2012, and why?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 12 games/expansions unplayed right now, which is pretty good as the list used to be much longer. And I resolve to play them in 2012 as much as possible.

I think the hardest ones to get to the table will be the ones that we received but had no prior interest in, and they don't look good to me - Anti-Monopoly, Morff, and Curses!

Most likely to get played are expansions for games I already like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Conflict of Heroes games. Just have no one to play with, only interested party is a bit too young yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really hoping to get a 7-player game of Diplomacy to the table one (full) day this year but I know that it will be a struggle. Fingers crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I am usually quite good at playing all my games at least once. (More than once can be a problem)

Due to getting too many new Essen games and a UK discount Book shop called The Works having lots of cheap games, I have quite a backlog at the moment. But I am working on them.

The game I have waited the longest to get to the table is 1830: Railways & Robber Barons which I have had since it came out. (The first time) I have been close a few times.

In fact a good number of my unplayed games tend to be 18XX. I should try to play them not just buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

#4) Screaming Eagles in Holland. None of my regular group is interested in wargames, and if one of them was to play a WG it would more likely be something like Sekigahara or Washington's War (which is fine with me). Plus I don't really see myself having the time to learn TCS this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. 24 unplayed games/expansions! (thats a few to many...) I will easily get that under 15 by february once I get some of these Christmas games played though...

My gaming resolution this year will to be to curb my collector's impulse. My collection is getting big enough that I'm starting to have trouble playing my games as often as I'd like... I know its a common problem around here, but with a little self restraint I think its one I can avoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial and Diplomacy, because of time and number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still pretty new to the hobby so my collection is small, which means I've played everything I own. And I never make resolutions for the new year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a fair number of new games that are cherries, but many of my unplayed games are older, used games that I bought when I happened upon them in a thrift store.

If I see an Avalon Hill bookshelf game that I don't own, for example, I'm going to walk out with it even if I have no intention of opening the box other than to inventory the contents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4. A lot of the unplayed games I have are (1) thrift store crap or (2) CABS game giveaway crap. I have a hard time coming up to someone and saying, "Wanna play a crap game?" So lots of challenges in my collection. Strangely, I still want to play most of them, even though they're crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Harpoon (1st & 3rd edition) I got this back in the old days (80s) when the back of the box was all the information available on a purchase. There's a lot of cool ship information in it, so I keep it around, but I don't have any desire to try to play it because it's just not my kind of game, especially now. And no one I know would want to play it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
4. A lot of the unplayed games I have are (1) thrift store crap or (2) CABS game giveaway crap. I have a hard time coming up to someone and saying, "Wanna play a crap game?" So lots of challenges in my collection. Strangely, I still want to play most of them, even though they're crap.

I have this problem as well as a large number of games that I played before I recorded plays. That still means it's been a very long time since they've been played, but it isn't accurate for them to show up in a "never played" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#4 is Mage Knight Board Game, solely because it's long and reasonably complicated which will mean getting it to the table is tough.

My other owned and currently unplayed games are Cthulhu Gloom, Dixit: Odyssey and The Resistance, none of which should be that difficult to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
The game I have waited the longest to get to the table is 1830: Railways & Robber Barons which I have had since it came out. (The first time) I have been close a few times.

In fact a good number of my unplayed games tend to be 18XX. I should try to play them not just buy them.

I know some guys over in Bristol who periodically dedicate a day of gaming to 18XX if you're interested John.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you make any gaming resolutions for 2012?

Already did, just a few days ago!
2012 New Year's Resolution: Unplayed Games

I own 44 unplayed games (including expansions), which represents 37% of my collection. It will be a busy year for me so trying to play all the games would be unrealistic.
My resolution is to play 10 base games and 3 expansions before I let myself purchase a new game.

What one game that you own and haven't played will be the hardest to get to the table in 2012, and why?

Caesar: Epic Battle of Alesia

Because of
1. Learning the rules; this will be my first real wargame, prior to this I've only learnt/played Manoeuvre & Field Commander: Rommel (which I still didn't really fully understand after my first play).
2. Time. It's a 6 hour game. Will be a challenge to find that large a chunk of time to play.
3. Space. It's got a HUGE footprint. I think it is too large for my table. Plus if we can't find a 6 hour chunk of time to play it, I'd have to find somewhere to leave it set up.

Thankfully, though, I at least have an opponent who's interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregarius wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:

I have this problem as well as a large number of games that I played before I recorded plays. That still means it's been a very long time since they've been played, but it isn't accurate for them to show up in a "never played" list.

I deal with the latter problem by recording a token single "representative" play at approximately some time in the past when I would've played a session of the game. I can usually at least narrow it down to the year. That way the game never shows up on my "unplayed" stats lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Android and Diplomacy (already mentioned) are the two I think I will have the most difficulty with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization would be the most difficult to get to the table. My game group as a whole is just not into long, heavier games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian MacDonald
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny that you should ask about this so soon after Christmas, Ben. Normally, I don't have more than one or two games I own, but haven't played. But for Christmas, my wife and I received Puerto Rico, Caylus, and Merchants & Marauders, all of which take a while to play, and we just haven't made the time yet (plus we got 7 Wonders: Leaders, which has made it to table several times. I'm reasonably confident that we'll get to play all of them in the coming year, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) 465 (although a lot are one card or tile expansions, hardly should count). The me the more important number is 397 games. Some of those like Grace A Dice Play 21 are highly likely never to get played.

I made a resolution to get 'some games' played. I figured 25 would be a good goal. But, I made a geeklist http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/63559/another-unplayed... last year to get people to 'nominate' my best unplayed ones. I ended up with 35. I've gotten 19 of them played. (I might get another 2-4 done tonight).

That's not to say I didn't get other 'unplayed' games, played this year. It's just those that I made a point of getting played.

So, those from the list were about 5%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking my thrift store buy of War! Age of Imperialism will have the most difficulty, because the people I'd play it with, we have other new or unplayed games we'd rather play. Or we'd rather play what we know is good in the limited time we often have for gaming. Games like Risk Legacy , Pandemic , & Memoir '44 , will definately be getting in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 16 owned and unplayed expansions and I was surprised that a number of them were for games that I could easily get to the table - Dominion, Carcassone, Memoir '44. Originally I had a 30% probability of getting them to the table, but I upped it to 50% since they are games that I can get certain people to play with me.

I hesitate to say 100% since last year I set a goal of getting 36 of my 115 owned and unplayed games to the table and I only got to about 18 of them played. I found I was pushing people to play games that they really did not want to, so lately I just play whatever people bring and eventually I build up some goodwill where a few of these can be presented for play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Jefferson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one game and one expansion that I have not played, and both were Christmas gifts. Of those two, Quarriors! Rise of the Demons will be incredibly easy to get to the table. My wife and primary gaming partner loves Quarriors. A Few Acres of Snow, on the other hand, is one I'm really looking forward to, but will take a bit more convincing, both because of the play-time and the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinhos because although I think it will be a wonderful game, beautifully put together... I suspect the other people in my group won't go for the theme. Shame really, I'm desperate to give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.