Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading one of the testimonials to donate to the site. I plan to make a donation this weekend.

I noticed that there is an "Ad Block Level" of 25.00

Does this mean that if someone pays 25 bucks, they no longer see banner ads?

As someone who is getting ready to pay quite a bit of money to do 1,000,000 banner ads on her I certainly HOPE this is not the case!

Hopefully I have misinterpreted this - please explain.

Thanks!

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well my browser blocks all banner ads as a matter of course. i think many people have set their browsers to do that.

but yes i think that is what that BGG level means
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you donate $25 or more you have the option of hiding the advertisements, but it doesn't happen automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that you can selectively block each individual ad banner. For example, I turn off pretty much all of the banners on the main page and all the eBay mumbo jumbo, but I keep the support drive banner because I like watching it tick up up up and away.

What this means to you is that anybody who likes to use the ad banners as a way to find new games will probably have some of the banners turned on and will still see your ads. Unfortunately, you'll miss out on drive-by advertising to people who keep the ad banners shut off.

As has been noted, though, anybody who is really determined not to be advertised to will also have free means to block the ads. Your ads simply won't be able to reach everybody. I would assume that the people who use BGG's ad block probably won't count towards your ad views, though somebody more knowledgeable would have to confirm that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm thanks for the answers.

I wonder how many people have them blocked. Definitely a concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape Pod Games wrote:
hmmm thanks for the answers.

I wonder how many people have them blocked. Definitely a concern.

Well, look at it this way..

[snipped inaccurate numbers]

Another thing to consider is that users who frequent BGG enough to justify paying at least $25 a year to support it are probably pretty serious boardgamers. They know enough about BGG to find all of the new game videos, press releases, and reviews. Those are most likely not the users who will be swayed by a banner ad when deciding what new game to purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at it this way: You paying for ad "impressions"--page presentations. Do you really want to pay for an impression to someone who does not want to see your ad? What the ad block does is remove those people who loathe ads so much they're willing to pay for the privilege. If you forced those people to see your ad, they would probably have a negative reaction to it.

Remember, you're not paying for the number of people on BGG, you're paying for the number of times your ad is actually shown to people. People who block ads don't count against your number of impressions.

If it deeply concerns you, consider running a contest. People love them, the microbadges awarded are around forever, and people opt in to the advertising. I have no idea how expensive they are, however--that's one for Chad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My support level is enough to block ads I think, but I never do. I enjoy the ads and will often click on an item of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I donate at the ad block level, but I do not block ads. I just discovered and purchased Warriors & Traders as a result of an ad here, so take that for what it is worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedbob wrote:
Fewer than 7000 users donated to BGG this year, and there's no telling how many of those donated less than $25. Even assuming that 75% of users who donated, donated more than $25 (I would guess a very generous assumption), there's still only 5250 users who would have the option of enabling Ad Block.

That's not counting the people who donated to BGG earlier in the year already.

In a highly unscientific survey, I searched for users with a common surname (Jones) and saw typically about 3-4 '11 badges per page of 100 matches.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
That's not counting the people who donated to BGG earlier in the year already.

In a highly unscientific survey, I searched for users with a common surname (Jones) and saw typically about 3-4 '11 badges per page of 100 matches.

-Dave

Ahh, right. Of course. So my numbers could be quite a bit off, though you're still saying you saw around 4%.

Well, my second point still stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent points!

/concern
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
As Walt said, people blocking ads that you pay for will not count against your impressions. A banner impression is only counted when someone actually sees your banner.

We still show roughly 70 million banner impressions per month, so most users still choose to see ads. There are of course those that dislike advertising and choose to block ads, but again as Walt said, they're the crowd that would be unlikely to ever click your ad if they were forced to see ads anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.