BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Big box games: How many big box board games are there? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Some say they're a dieing breed. Some say they're the best thing ever. I prefer the latter statement; I love big, intricate, long-winded gaming, if only for the rare gaming encounter it may bring when you can actually organize it with your gaming group(s), or to simply enjoy the prospect of a giant box gathering dust on a shelf for years, just to get excited by the very sight of it (though some of us may dust our games frequently, the OCD ones at least).

How many "big box" games are there? I'm talking about Descent: Journey's in The Dark type of boxes, or Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition. I'm talking the boxes so long and with weight to them you simply go "holy crap". Other games I can think of are all by Fantasy Flight; Runewars, Starcraft The Board Game, World of Warcraft The Board Game (not the adventure game). Perhaps that's a hint that only FFG dares release boxes so bold, but I want your opinion on that.

Name every big box game you can think of, or at least a game with lots and lots of in-box content. And if you actually like big box games, share your favorite one and why it's your favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Price
Guernsey
St Sampsons
Channel Islands
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planet Steam is a coffin box and I do enjoy playing Tide of Iron when I can spare the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Ah yes, the "coffin" box. I forgot that term for this post, but it sounds so symbolic; not only do the boxes look like coffins fit for a cat, you could truly die during these games, by age or stress (if you don't play right and pace yourself..pff, who does that?). Take your pick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "coffin box" games from FFG include:
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
StarCraft: The Board Game
Tide of Iron
Runewars
World of Warcraft: The Boardgame
Horus Heresy (2010)
Descent: Journeys in the Dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
That goes to show FFG really does take the pick for "king of the coffins"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It's
badge
I've had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw this I immediate thought of Fireball Island

It's not a big game in terms of complexity, but this game comes in an incredibly big box. Its presence dominates my game shelves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game is in a coffin box as well I do believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could kill a man with World of Warcraft: The Boardgame. It's as large as some of the weapons in the video game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
EitherOrlok wrote:
You could kill a man with World of Warcraft: The Boardgame. It's as large as some of the weapons in the video game itself.

I concur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Also don't forget the original "Dust Tactics" as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eclipse has a big box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eclipse looks like a fun game. I might get that one sooner than later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I suppose another one is one of Heroscape's master sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Smuda
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Though it's a completely different style than the sorts of games that people are bringing up here, the Carcassonne and Alhambra Big Boxes have it right in the name and certainly meet the lots of content criterion. While the base games are pretty simple in these, the 'construction set' aspect of mixing in the many small expansions can lead to a substantial increase in complexity, though maybe not strategic richness or intricacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I'm glad you brought that up. I'll remember this when I play Carcassonne and Alhambra. Sometimes just adding all core and expansion content can make for a hefty game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Smuda
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
And let's not forget Roads and Boats, which seems to fulfill all your primary criteria. The other big Splotter games would seem to fit too.

The box size is marginal though- 20 inches long seems to qualify as big box to me, though 2.5 inches is not a good cat coffin unless certain things I don't want to contemplate in depth happen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
D6Frog wrote:
Aarontu wrote:

Dust Tactics was as well. But less than a year after it hit the shelves they halved the box-size (and content) with the revised core set.

I in fact, at first, wasn't really into the Dust series. I never had the largest passion for WWII era things, mainly because I was seeing a large surplus of games for the setting and this aspect sort of turned me away. However, this being an alternate reality with a twist let me give it a second look. I'm glad I looked more into it (thanks to this thread) and I too learned about the downgrade in size in the revised set. Now I need to figure out whether the revised is better than the original big box core set or if I should just snag the revised and use the add-on's to expand my game table. But I like my originals, so Dust Tactics will probably be the original.

That said,Tide of Iron does actually look kind of cool. I may be broken into WWII games yet

And now I need to find out which big box games are more than just empires and battles and which add in elements of trade and economy, because making money and trading valuable goods always makes me feel good cool (other than Twilight Imperium of which I own already).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
From what I can tell from pictures and a description of it being the size of the War of the Ring box, Earth Reborn is another large box game, as is War of the Ring.

Speaking of War of the Ring (First Edition), I've had the second edition on order for months, and BoardGameHaus.com won't mail it out as I ordered the limited edition card containers with it shake I can only imagine it's as large in person as it appears online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This would probably make an excellent Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
krechevskoy wrote:
This would probably make an excellent Geeklist.

Your right it would. At the very least though I'll be sure to compile a list of every game this thread mentioned and repost it for ease of use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if we mean lots of pieces, parts... and not just lots of little plastic models... the entire Arkham Horror line really is a big ass box game series. That again is Fantasy Flight, so they still own that market I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavarnway
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk, HeroQuest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tash
England
flag msg tools
What about Arkham Horror? I know its another FFG but it is pretty weighty. Its the only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet, proving your point that FFG seem to be th eonly ones bold enough to still release the 'big box' games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Tower is almost as long as a standard FF coffin box but sits taller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jacobs
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I actually contacted FFG the other day and asked them what their plans are in the future for big box type games. I mainly stated that some folks are concerned that they're a dieing breed but that some people really enjoy them.

This was their response:

"Jesse,

We've made no official announcement that they are a thing of the past for us and I can't comment on what may or may not be coming down the pipe work. Please be assured that we plan to support many different platforms of all types.

Regards,

Kalar Komarec
Customer Service Associate
Fantasy Flight Games Customer Service Team
customerservice@fantasyflightgames.com "

Personally, while I feel that a company could manage to release a ton of content in smaller boxes or with expansions, sometimes it's the presentation of being wowed when you lay your eyes on the game itself, and to truly get a bang for your buck, even if that buck was a little steeper than the buyer may wish for (it just makes it that more special). And as FFG put it, while nothing is official, they do plan to support "many different platforms".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.