Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the process of making a game. Currently I am hand molding the game parts. I have a master model of the basic pieces (hexagons). I am at the point where I am wondering “is it worth the time and energy making models for each unit (which would be less than an inch big) or would some sort of token representation be enough.”

I know a model of each unit type would look better, as it brings the ‘world’ more to life, but it would take a while to sculpt each one (24 in total)
I have noticed a fair amount of games use tokens and it works, I mean generally if you play board games you have a good imagination to visualize the actions going on.

I guess I am looking for opinions and insight on models vs. tokens

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are making a game for yourself, make it look as cool as you want. If you publish it, you will probably need to make some compromises. There are a lot of standard pieces out there, plastic and wooden, to choose from and people can help you find things that would work with more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smaka
msg tools
It depends on what you are really aiming for within your game. Some games do just fine with tokens while others would be bland without the actual models. Just as a point for clarification, what type of models are you creating and are there only going to be 24 of them? If you really want models take a look at www.shapeways.com there are a whole hoard of designers there that make just about anything. I have made a few things as well for two boardgames that I am creating and you could find them under STC Limited at the shapeways website to see what I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want cost efficient and still keep as much theme as possible consider printing thick tokens (or wood/plastic tokens with stickers).

If you're doing it to have a one-off for yourself then go wild!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it is more or less where you terraform the board with your selected element. Then you spend a number of turns trying to make your element the dominant one by the use of your 6 unit types, along with towers and walls. Still flushing out the rules.

If I like it enough once it is finished I may try to sell it.

The sticker images isn't a bad idea for now, at least for the units, the walls and towers I think I will make models.

That site is neat, those mini star ships are pretty sweet looking.

Thanks for the insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres also at least two groups that sell generic board game making parts. Probably more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well from what you've described, you're just making a prototype for a game you haven't finished designing yet.

So . . . spend as much time and money as you feel like.

If you're attempting to use your time and money efficiently, like, this could become a business for you, then you should prototype as cheaply as possible, and work on testing the game.

If you're just trying to get the most out of a hobby project, I promise I will be more impressed when you upload pictures of 24 hand crafted sculpts a year from now than if you upload your photoshopped countersheet pfd a month from now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
If you're just trying to get the most out of a hobby project, I promise I will be more impressed when you upload pictures of 24 hand crafted sculpts a year from now than if you upload your photoshopped countersheet pfd a month from now!

That is a good point!

I have designed a few games before this one the normal way concept to alpha to beta prototype, this one I guess I am making a bit backwards. I know all the elements I want and once that is done I will form the rules around them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you plan to find a publisher or publish yourself with Kickstarter or make money from the game - then you really have to choose cost effective bits. That could be wood cubes or stickered blocks or cardboard standees. Figures/models though only make sense if you know you can sell more then 5000 copies of a game. In today's world that is very hard to do and most games sell 500-2000 copies from small/unknown publishers.

If your goal is to work with a publisher, then stop thinking of these things as they are pointless - the publisher will make the choice.

Good luck,

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't spend more than 10 minutes on a single component for a game that hasn't had the rules completed or been playtested at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.