Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Garcia
Spain
San Antonio de Benageber
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that including vehicles, like tanks or planes is intended in future expansions?? I think it could be so cool..whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firing a gun of a tank would exceed the board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this question as well before having read the rules fully and played the game. After playing a few games so far I think that there would be little or no enhancement of play.

Adding faster moving vehicles would not enhance the game in my opinion. I could see using a Tank or other larger vehicle as Terrain and/or an objective (destroy the tank), but other than that focusing on the individual soldiers provides more than enough personal enjoyment.

-Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Barton
United States
Atlanta
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like not having vehicles. Makes you focus on infantry tactics. In a lot of cases during this time, neither side had much support from tanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Aw, crap; gonna be sore in the morning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with these comments. It seems tanks or other vehicles would be outside the general scope of this game with the possible exception of a cameo from the random event story deck or something similar with minimal impact on the overall squad based feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are killing my "Kelly's Heroes" idea I've been thinking about ever since I first laid eyes on this game system.cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorb wrote:
You guys are killing my "Kelly's Heroes" idea I've been thinking about ever since I first laid eyes on this game system.cry
Other than main armament and maneuvering around terrain depictions I am not sure there is all that much difficulty in adding vehicles to the system. Well, we would need soldiers with bazooka/Pzf/Pzs weapons and a bank tile...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin, I would love to fast forward a year to see where this game system will be at. Sounds like lots of stuff in the hopper, ya never know when that Bank Landmark tile will pop up. I'm sure they will have a city tile expansion all in due time.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been working on vehicle play. We won't release it until it improves the game play experience.

One of my favorite stories from the Battle of the Bulge is about a lieutenant that had to hold a road that came over a hill and into a small town. He had a small force that had a Browning 1919A3 and about ten men. Clambering over the hill came three Tiger tanks festooned with Panzer Grenadiers. The LT had his men dutifully open up and scrub the outside of the tanks free of the offending passengers - but that did not stop the tanks. On they came to bust his small force asunder. Faced with being overrun and losing the Company HQ in the center of the town he grabbed a Bazooka and waited for the lead Tiger to pass. His first shot was lucky and well placed and he knocked it out. Retreating back to a jeep on a side street that had ammo he reloaded and came back to get the second Tank as it approached HQ. When he came around the corner to get a shot he was looking into the barrel of the 88 and it fired. Everyone in the HQ building new the LT was dead. All they saw was a cloud of debris and smoke erupting around him. One of his men had made it up to the second story of a building next to the Tiger that had just shot him and dropped a satchel charge on the top of the turret - knocking out the tank. Ther third Tiger rumbled past and was knocked out in town by bazooka armed tank hunters. A few minutes later the Lieutenant wandered into HQ, covered in dust and mostly deaf.

When I can get that kind of action to play out on the gaming table you will have vehicles. I promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Aw, crap; gonna be sore in the morning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:
We have been working on vehicle play. We won't release it until it improves the game play experience.

When I can get that kind of action to play out on the gaming table you will have vehicles. I promise.
Glad to hear that you're striving to get the right balance and not rush vehicles into SMG.

This story is fantastic. As you know, the Germans were also famous for using proper infantry tactics in support of their fearsome armor. Unless they were on the blitzkreig, they usually had many half track and transport vehicles keeping their infantry ahead of their tanks so that the armor didn't get ambushed by these bazooka joe types. Then the armor returned the favor by taking out the enemy machine gun nests that pinned down their infantry spearpoints.

Armor/Squad cohesion always makes for satisfying tactical play. If there were tanks in SMG I'd like to see this type of combinative gameplay represented. Without supporting infantry, tanks can get swarmed by enemy infantry weapons and tactics and in many games I've played the tanks dominate the infantry to an unfair degree in my opinion. It seems that you are mindful of this also and that has got me excited about waiting to see what happens with your armored combat rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.