São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
So Aline and I had to cut our vacations short and go back to são paulo earlier because our kitty is sick. We went to the airport to try to change our tickets. The guy at the counter said it would cost us R$2000,00 (USD 1 073) to change them or R$1000,00 (USD 536) to buy two new ones... And we payed R$470,00 (USD 252) for them....

I call them on the phone and I exchange the tickets for free.

Does it make any sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Unfortunately that's become standard practice with airlines as they try and keep airline ticket prices low up front so they look attractive versus their competitors but try and make the money back via bag and ticket change fees.

In the US right now there is an airline called Southwest which has actually made an advertising campaign out of this kind of thing.

Cool thing about Southwest's commercials is they don't use professional actors. All the actors in the commercials are real Southwest employees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I blame Hugo Chavez.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
I blame Hugo Chavez.

RSP!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to be able to walk up and change flights all the time.

Once I came into Atlanta and it was backed up for a couple hours. I had 2 hours until my original flight was suppose to leave, but it had already been delayed a few hours. I noticed that one of the earlier flights that had been delayed a few hours was boarding and I asked about getting on. I ended up getting out of Atlanta an hour early then my original flight, while people were there on the plane complaining about 5 to 10 hour delays, I kept quite.

I got into the habit of picking late flights so that I wouldn't have to rush out of conferences and meetings and also a large window for transfers (in case of delays) because I could walk up and get on earlier flights.

Now, it's 'you want to save 2 hours? That will be $50'.

You would think with as many delays and cancellations that routinely happen now a days, that they'd take any chance they have to keep the earlier planes full and to get people 'out of the system' as quickly as possible.

Maddening. Honestly, I wish they would triple to cost of air flights and cut the number of routes in half. Increase the margins and decrease the traffic. Then everyone would be happy (although, people would have to vacation closer to home).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
So Aline and I had to cut our vacations short and go back to são paulo earlier because our kitty is sick. We went to the airport to try to change our tickets.

Please explain why you'd cut a vacation short for a cat... are you a vet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Aline is a Vet assistant, or was. So yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

They're probably charging at the counter a "convenience" fee. Most people would probably pay the money and wouldn't really think of calling on the phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have vowed to never again set foot on an airplane, shoddy service, lack of customer care, etc.

So if anybody I am close to gets sick, they better be within driving distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dealing with airlines is a lot like dealing with Satan. It sounds like a good deal at first, but you know you're going to get a white hot poker up your ass at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New and Improved
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Dealing with airlines is a lot like dealing with Satan. It sounds like a good deal at first, but you know you're going to get a white hot poker up your ass at some point.

And then something bad happens ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We have a 'municipal airfield' and NO "regular flights" out of this, as you have to catch a 'commuter vehicle' to the nearest Airport with any!
Unless you're Tom Cruise, that "is"... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Redbeardin84 wrote:
Aline is a Vet assistant, or was. So yes.

Makes sense then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
yohanleafheart wrote:
So Aline and I had to cut our vacations short and go back to são paulo earlier because our kitty is sick. We went to the airport to try to change our tickets.

Please explain why you'd cut a vacation short for a cat... are you a vet?

Aline is a vet. But in this case it is because our cat got sick. We hired a friend's housemaid to go everyother to our house to feed and clean them. She called yesterday morning saying she though he was strange. Not wanting to eat and staying down. We called a friend who is also a vet and she hushed him to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with an acute kidney problem, due to a half blockage of the urethra. He was probably not peeing as much as he needed because we were away so long =(. So now we are going back earlier to see if that will make him go back to normal.

And also because of the money. If we don't come back, we will need to have him stay at the hospital for the next days, in case he has something else. And each night would cost us around USD 250. With us back, we can take care of him at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
look attractive versus their competitors but try and make the money back via bag and ticket change fees.

We are a bit lucky on this regard in Brazil, at least in the case of bags. By law, international flights coming to or leaving Brazil must allow 2 25kg bags, 1 5kg hand bag and 1 "personal suitcase". In-country flights are 1 23kg bag, 1 5kg hand bag and 1 "personal suitcase". So they cannot charge us that fee. The last time a company tried to chzarge to use the toilet, it also got smacked down by the government.

They can and do charge change fees, and I wouldn't have had a problem with that. What I found bizarre was the fact that buying new tickets would be twice as much as buying new. And not only that, but calling them I manage to change for free. I was expecting to pay about USD 70 per ticket that we were going to change, which is more or less the standard fee.* But USD 500 was simply pathetic.

mrbeankc wrote:
Cool thing about Southwest's commercials is they don't use professional actors. All the actors in the commercials are real Southwest employees.

I love those commercials. I watch most of them when watching NFL through the web (for the games that do not air in Brazil).

* There are many types of tickets you can pay (even discounting business and first class), they change what you have access too. We bought the cheapest one, which was a promo, so there is no extra "convinence" data. The next type would allow for changes with no fee up to 24hs before the flight, a second one allows for changes up to 1hour before takeoff.

Also, and this is what made things even more bizarre in my opinion, last year, on BGG.con, we had to reschedule our flights since the visa didn't arrive on time. We change it twice, and one of the times it was the day before the flight. We ended up paying only USD 40 (at the time) per ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

I thought it was supposed to be bad.. angryangryangryangry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and we are back home. For those who don't have me on facebook, Caesar didn't resist and passed away last night. The pain is incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
and we are back home. For those who don't have me on facebook, Caesar didn't resist and passed away last night. The pain is incredible.

I'm not a cat person but I feel for you and your family soblue. Pets are absolutely fantastic.

All the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:

Sorry for your loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry about Caesar, Sol (and Aline). Was he the scary looking cat?

Please post a picture of him.

:HUGS:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:

Well, from one cat person (four here) to another, I'm very sorry for your loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:

My condolences. Never easy to lose a friend, even of the furry variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

Yes he was MMB. Aline posted a thread of him on The Tavern, there is a newish picture there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Yes he was MMB. Aline posted a thread of him on The Tavern, there is a newish picture there.

Wow!! He looked fierce enough to tame death! So sad, you have my condolences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.