Tide of Iron» Forums » Rules

Subject: combined fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kacper Sobczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the game and after playing a few introductory scenarios which I've found on the Internet I've got doubts concerning combined fire.
The idea of two different squads, one being the active with full firepower and the other firing at half fpr is clear to me.
But what about the squads consisting of a machine gun and infantry or a squad of 2 machine guns / mortars?
If I wanted to activate 2 machine guns in the same squad at the same time, do I use their full firepower? And what about a machine gun and infantry? Can I use them together at full strength? I suppose the combined attack of a mortar and infantry from the same squad is impossible since mortars attack with area attack?
I would be grateful for your help as I'm just going to start a new scenario and I'm not certain how to dustribute the figures among the squads
Best regards
Kacper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeppelin rules!
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kacek wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the game and after playing a few introductory scenarios which I've found on the Internet I've got doubts concerning combined fire.
The idea of two different squads, one being the active with full firepower and the other firing at half fpr is clear to me.
But what about the squads consisting of a machine gun and infantry or a squad of 2 machine guns / mortars?
If I wanted to activate 2 machine guns in the same squad at the same time, do I use their full firepower? And what about a machine gun and infantry? Can I use them together at full strength? I suppose the combined attack of a mortar and infantry from the same squad is impossible since mortars attack with area attack?
I would be grateful for your help as I'm just going to start a new scenario and I'm not certain how to dustribute the figures among the squads
Best regards
Kacper

Any squad, regardless of what it consists of, fires at full strength if it is the active unit. Any squad, regardless of what it consists of, supporting an attack fires at falf firepower.
I was a little confused by the question but I hope this helps anyway. If not, message me any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waging_war wrote:
Any squad, regardless of what it consists of, fires at full strength if it is the active unit. Any squad, regardless of what it consists of, supporting an attack fires at falf firepower.
I was a little confused by the question but I hope this helps anyway. If not, message me any time.

One other thing to note is that squads that move and shoot are already at 1/2 firepower and cannot be used in combined fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kacek wrote:
If I wanted to activate 2 machine guns in the same squad at the same time, do I use their full firepower? And what about a machine gun and infantry? Can I use them together at full strength?

You always have to activate an entire squad; you can't activate individual figures in a squad. If you activate a squad, then you may choose for any or all of the figures in that squad to fire, even if they are different types of figures. All of the figures you choose will fire at full firepower. This isn't the same thing as "Combined Fire", which is when multiple different squads fire at the same time.

So why would you ever choose NOT to fire with all of the figures in a squad? There's a couple reasons:

- Probably the most common: In a squad with a machine gun and infantry figures on Op Fire, if only the machine gun fires, then the squad is not fatigued and may Op Fire again later in the round.

- If the figures in a squad have different ranges, it may only be possible for certain figures to fire (or using all the figures may force the attack to be at long range, only hitting on 6s - see "Determining Range" on page 22 of the rulebook).

Quote:
I suppose the combined attack of a mortar and infantry from the same squad is impossible since mortars attack with area attack?

That is correct. See the "No Mixed Fire" rule for Mortar figures on page 39 of the rulebook. Mortars may not fire with other figure types, even in the same squad.

Quote:

This is sometimes an important part of the game. The most common configuration for heavy weapons (machine guns and mortars) is to put the weapon figure in a squad with two infantry, usually regular infantry. The main reason for this is to make the squad a little harder to kill, since it will take three hits to eliminate the squad. If you put two machine gun figures in the same squad, that squad will be eliminated after only two hits. Plus, that squad will immediately become a major target for your opponent to eliminate as quickly as possible!

Still, depending on how the board is set up, it may be reasonable to try putting two heavy weapon figures together. A couple examples:

- If you can have mortars in heavy cover, and the scenario involves a valuable choke point like a bridge hex, it might be worth putting two on one base. Rolling eight dice to suppress is pretty brutal.

- If you can set up in a fortification or pillbox, especially on top of a cliff overlooking open terrain, then putting two machine guns together on Op Fire can be just murder. As mentioned, that unit will become a serious focus for your opponent to eliminate quickly - but that might even be to your advantage anyway, if forcing him to deal with that problem gives you the time to claim some other objective.

All part of the fun!

Oh, one other note about distributing figures that's not related to heavy weapons. If you have some Elite Infantry figures, consider spreading them amongst your normal infantry so that the total firepower of the squad is an odd number. For example, 1 Elite with 3 Regular (total firepower 5) or 3 Elites with 1 Regular (total firepower 7). Why? Because whenever you halve firepower, you round up. So if you do a Move and Fire with a squad of firepower 5, you'll still roll 3 dice. Over the course of the game, that "free" half-point of firepower can add up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacper Sobczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
waging_war wrote:
kacek wrote:
Hi everyone,
Best regards
Kacper

Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I wanted to know I've recently moved from playing Memoir 44 to ToI and sometimes it's difficult to grasp all the rules at the same time, but this game is absolutely fantastic so it's worth learning them
Although I play mostly solo, it's still very rewarding when I'm able to plan ahead my actions using all the possibilities offered by the system.
BTW People on this forum are outstanding - thanks once again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacper Sobczyński
Poland
flag msg tools
Ceej wrote:
kacek wrote:
If I wanted to activate 2 machine guns in the same squad at the same time, do I use their full firepower? And what about a machine gun and infantry? Can I use them together at full strength?

You always have to activate an entire squad; you can't activate individual figures in a squad. If you activate a squad, then you may choose for any or all of the figures in that squad to fire, even if they are different types of figures. All of the figures you choose will fire at full firepower. This isn't the same thing as "Combined Fire", which is when multiple different squads fire at the same time.

So why would you ever choose NOT to fire with all of the figures in a squad? There's a couple reasons:

- Probably the most common: In a squad with a machine gun and infantry figures on Op Fire, if only the machine gun fires, then the squad is not fatigued and may Op Fire again later in the round.

- If the figures in a squad have different ranges, it may only be possible for certain figures to fire (or using all the figures may force the attack to be at long range, only hitting on 6s - see "Determining Range" on page 22 of the rulebook).

Quote:
I suppose the combined attack of a mortar and infantry from the same squad is impossible since mortars attack with area attack?

That is correct. See the "No Mixed Fire" rule for Mortar figures on page 39 of the rulebook. Mortars may not fire with other figure types, even in the same squad.

Quote:

This is sometimes an important part of the game. The most common configuration for heavy weapons (machine guns and mortars) is to put the weapon figure in a squad with two infantry, usually regular infantry. The main reason for this is to make the squad a little harder to kill, since it will take three hits to eliminate the squad. If you put two machine gun figures in the same squad, that squad will be eliminated after only two hits. Plus, that squad will immediately become a major target for your opponent to eliminate as quickly as possible!

Still, depending on how the board is set up, it may be reasonable to try putting two heavy weapon figures together. A couple examples:

- If you can have mortars in heavy cover, and the scenario involves a valuable choke point like a bridge hex, it might be worth putting two on one base. Rolling eight dice to suppress is pretty brutal.

- If you can set up in a fortification or pillbox, especially on top of a cliff overlooking open terrain, then putting two machine guns together on Op Fire can be just murder. As mentioned, that unit will become a serious focus for your opponent to eliminate quickly - but that might even be to your advantage anyway, if forcing him to deal with that problem gives you the time to claim some other objective.

All part of the fun!

Oh, one other note about distributing figures that's not related to heavy weapons. If you have some Elite Infantry figures, consider spreading them amongst your normal infantry so that the total firepower of the squad is an odd number. For example, 1 Elite with 3 Regular (total firepower 5) or 3 Elites with 1 Regular (total firepower 7). Why? Because whenever you halve firepower, you round up. So if you do a Move and Fire with a squad of firepower 5, you'll still roll 3 dice. Over the course of the game, that "free" half-point of firepower can add up!

Wow! Many thanks for so many useful tips. I've just used them in my set up for the 'At the Breaking Point' scenario. Some of the advice I used intuitively, but now I can plan carefully even before I start the scenario.
Once again thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.