14 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Resource colors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yesterday I finally managed to play Eclipse for the first time and the game is really great. I would rate it a 9 or a 10. There are many great reviews in this forum so I'll stick to the not so well down parts.

This was mentioned in some other threads before but I think this issue is worth an own thread.

I don't have the slightest idea why the designers have chosen 3 similiar colors for the 3 resources money, science and material. In our game yesterday we had to take a look at the hexes or the wood pieces twice or thrice most of the times, especially in a low light environment. We have energy saving lamps and those are not the brightest ones but we never had any problems with any games until yesterday.

There are "well known" colors in so many games like green for money, blue for science and black or brown for materials or something like that. Why didn't the designers used this color-scheme?

I guess the game was playtested many many many times, somebody had to get aware of this problem. I only can figure out 4 possibilities why those colors got into the final game:

- the designers are color blind (but I don't think so )
- the designers became routine-blinded after 1.000 playtests
- the designers are a little bit sadistic
- hey, it's made in China

I think the designers should really reconsider the color-scheme for the reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sparrrrow
msg tools
mb
You are supposed to blame those small people with narrow eyes. Some betatesters confirmed that color of money marker was designed more orange than actually is and there was no issue apparently until final version became.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured that they were trying to only use colors that were not representative of players in the actual game. Hence, orange, brown and pink were the only colors left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McCourty
United Kingdom
Altrincham
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrr2D2 wrote:
You are supposed to blame those small people with narrow eyes. Some betatesters confirmed that color of money marker was designed more orange than actually is and there was no issue apparently until final version became.

1. Don't be racist
2. Learn grammar

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gyrosp wrote:
There are "well known" colors in so many games like green for money, blue for science and black or brown for materials or something like that. Why didn't the designers used this color-scheme?

All the "well known" colors were already in use for the various factions. In this, the designers likely had little option to alter those colors because the plastic spaceships only come in those standard colors -- to get them manufactured in "special" colors would have raised the price point of the product considerably, something I suspect the producer was unwilling to do with an already expensive game. The alternative would have been to re-use the "well known" colors for both faction markers AND resources, something which would have caused considerable confusion during game play.

Personally, I fail to see what all the griping is about. Although the resource colors may not be aesthetically pleasing to some, they certainly functional as is. If they really do present a problem to you due to color blindness or "not the brightest" lighting levels, perhaps it might be a "bright idea" to mark up the resource cubes with an indellible marker to make their function clearer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sparrrrow
msg tools
mb
Difference is not flaw. Are you racist when you say that some people are darker than other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't see a problem if a player is green and the money resource is green as well. This is the case in many games .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MartZ Player
msg tools
mb
Arrr2D2 wrote:

I just finished repainting the 6 "light-brown" money cylinders to the proper orange to perfectly match the orange used on the player sheets.

The biggest problem of that game is now fixed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In both my 2 and 3 player games, everyone (including me) constantly picked the wrong token. We really do not like the colors for the 3 resourses. Not just from an artistic point of veiw (even though the colors are horrible to look at. And pink?!?), but because unlike the game itself, they are not theamatic or "elegant".

If my opponent had purple ships and my science token was purple, I'm pretty sure I could figure out that my science token was not my opponent's token.

I was going to paint the ends of the tokens Gold (money), Dark Brown & Purple (for science), when someone pointed out that the board and chits were color coded to match the tokens. Doh! So now what to do?

As for the grammer nazi above, english is the most illogical and insane language on earth (yes, I misspeled on purpus). Correcting peoples "grammer" in english is like the mad hatter correcting people's behaivor in wonderland. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
What's wrong with pink for research?

I just wish the orange storage marker was actually orange, instead of a medium-light brown that's very similar to the Materials brown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Personally, I fail to see what all the griping is about. Although the resource colors may not be aesthetically pleasing to some, they certainly functional as is. If they really do present a problem to you due to color blindness or "not the brightest" lighting levels, perhaps it might be a "bright idea" to mark up the resource cubes with an indellible marker to make their function clearer?

Mhh, if I buy a car and I have the same display for gas, speed and temperature I'll complain about this and not paint the displays by myself. But as this is a boardgame and not a car and I surely will not receive a replacement I'll mark the wood-pieces by myself.

Lancer4321 wrote:

I was going to paint the ends of the tokens Gold (money), Dark Brown & Purple (for science), when someone pointed out that the board and chits were color coded to match the tokens. Doh! So now what to do?

I think I'll mark the tokens with a money, science and materials sign. This would also be a nice update for the playerboard... to mark the different resource with a little symbol.

By the way, it's interesting to see how aggressive some people react to criticism... and I really like the game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Board games are big in European countries, bear that in mind before assuming everyone must conform to some standard of English grammar...

As for the orange not being orange ... well yeah, it's like an orange-tinted light brown. But it's clearly distinct from the dark brown one. And it's a pretty small gripe, since it wouldn't be hard to just repaint the 6 little octagonal prisms yourself if needed. Having 198 loose storage cubes on the boards with nothing securing them, that's a much bigger issue.

P.S.: If anyone has suggestions for a good hue and inexpensive brand of orange paint for this purpose, post it. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussed before here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8131929#8131929
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8129574#8129574

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gyros p
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I finally used some transparent labels to mark my octagons :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.