Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick May
United States
Pinellas Park
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing AGOT the board game about 6 times now, there has been one glaring frustration to me - preset, premeditated, alliances. I work with two people from our board gaming group and they have decided to be "BFFs" in the game. They plan out ahead of time which houses they want to play as, how they will support each other, and which territories they will seek as well as how to combat opponents. They've tried a few times to pull me into the fold, but I always seek to stay neutral until the game is laid out and started.

I argued with them both quite a bit about how I feel it is unfair to go in with preconceived notions of who you will ally with when other players are not doing the same thing. Furthermore, it takes something away from the game when you know both these guys are always going to team up and support each other up to and until one of them reaches the 5 castle threat point.

They don't seem to understand my frustration and I wanted to consult the rest of you as to a) do you find this to be unfair to the other players? b) do you think it ruins some of the thematic elements of the game? and c) Have you encountered this situation with your group and if so, how have you handled it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best solution is to have everyone randomly choose their house at start time. This is a completely fair (and fun) way to mitigate your problem and gain maximum enjoyment from the game. If your friends resist, and are adamant about playing a certain house, then simply call into question their skill at the game in front of the whole group, since they obviously only know how to use one faction with pre-conceived ideas.

This insult should be enough to make them accept your challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did any of them win?

If an alliance is strong enough to remain throughout the game (which should be the case if they keep repeating it) the houses involved shouldn't win.
Form an opposite alliance. Let the table know of their alliance and how they will never betray each other, attack them both and make them realize this is not to their benefit.

At some point they will either stop, or better - one of them will break the alliance, betray the other to gain the upper hand, and end this "pact".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick May
United States
Pinellas Park
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starkiller wrote:
Did any of them win?

If an alliance is strong enough to remain throughout the game (which should be the case if they keep repeating it) the houses involved shouldn't win.
Form an opposite alliance. Let the table know of their alliance and how they will never betray each other, attack them both and make them realize this is not to their benefit.

At some point they will either stop, or better - one of them will break the alliance, betray the other to gain the upper hand, and end this "pact".

Actually...I don't recall that they have. The most memorable game for me is when they played as Lannister and Baratheon and I played as Tyrell (5 player game). I played neutral through most of the game knowing that if I incurred their wrath, they'd both head south and decimate me. I spent my time defeating the neutral forces in the Martell zone and then, for my coup d'etat I snagged a weakly defended castle from a lone lost Greyjoy infantry man and then grabbed my last castle from an unsuspecting Baratheon via a bridge of ships.

I have threatened them that if they keep it up, I will do exactly what you recommended and rally the other players at the table against their houses with the intent on crushing them angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick May
United States
Pinellas Park
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shager wrote:
The best solution is to have everyone randomly choose their house at start time. This is a completely fair (and fun) way to mitigate your problem and gain maximum enjoyment from the game. If your friends resist, and are adamant about playing a certain house, then simply call into question their skill at the game in front of the whole group, since they obviously only know how to use one faction with pre-conceived ideas.

This insult should be enough to make them accept your challenge.

Good idea! They still may wind up in range of each other, but that's when I'll go to Plan B (Moshe's plan) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a real messed up situation. Maybe you should just have them buy Axis & Allies - then they can just be the Axis, and everyone else can play the Allies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say stuff like this fits exactly into the theme. Dealing with people that have entirely different goals and priorities is very much a part of real diplomacy and war. Real-life alliances have been made and broken over seemingly petty things throughout the history of war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
West2 wrote:
I'd say stuff like this fits exactly into the theme. Dealing with people that have entirely different goals and priorities is very much a part of real diplomacy and war. Real-life alliances have been made and broken over seemingly petty things throughout the history of war.

I agree with this statement and see no real harm in going into a game with pre-game agreed alliances...however...it is a game created with the intention that it is to be enjoyed by all. If these same people insist on doing this every game, then the fun factor would be somewhat mitigated.

I would also suggest an alliance by everyone else with the sole intention to reduce or eliminate their chances of a win. Hopefully, it may give them cause to think about approaching future games with the same level of predictability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.