Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the Eclipse rulebook it advises that first time players should all play Terrans. My game group has ignored this advise two 6-player games in a row with new players and we have payed the price.

With a new player, EVERYONE needs to play Terran, not just the new player. The issue isn't that the Alien rules are harder to learn. It's that new players have a harder time with assessing how they are doing compared to others; resulting in diplomacy problems. It is also harder to teach basic strategy. If they are worried about Ancients and I take them on with the Orions, that doesn't help them with Terrans. Also, new players (in our group) seem to be shier with attacking, resulting in bad results if experienced players take attack oriented aliens. We got several complaints from the new players saying they didn't like the game and thought there were broken parts (particularly around exploring) and I think a bunch of this has to do with aliens being part of the mix and not giving new folks a better means of comparison.

Of course you can ignore the adivse. But if you're trying to win folks over to the game, present it in its best new-player light, which is all Terran games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Players and Terrans - Head the Rulebook Advise!
First 2-player we did terrans only. Second game 3-player we did Terran; Terran; Orions.

I was not the one to take Orions, but I wanted to play a non terran, but I chose terran as to try not to confuse the new player. As did the 2nd player. The new player took the Orions.

We just told him "Ok, remember, you have great/powerful ships and a crapy trade rate. He had played master of orion and such, so he did ok.

But I agree, all Terrans for new players really helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree with the OP. I know it's tempting to try all the new options like species all at once, but I'd say everyone should play their first 5-6 games (and I'm talking 3+ player games, not two-player ones) with Terrans. There's plenty of variability there without adding the alien species.

The all-terran game is more euro as it's completely balanced, and will provide a better way of learning the finer points of the different game strategies and how to deal with the different variable elements. The aliens will add nicely to the thematic feel of the game, but playing them when new players are involved is not a good idea for the reasons the OP mentioned.

I agree that many of the comments about luck and randomness we've heard from new players are caused by the fact that those players have hastened to add aliens to the mix before properly understanding basic game strategies first. That would certainly make the game appear a lot more random than it actually needs to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Wortel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Agree 100%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Masinter
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game recently and definitely can agree with the OP. Also, playing with 5 players gave an advantage to two because of the open setup. I definitely want to try again with 4 or 6 and all Terran.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.