David Zevin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sure I will offend many of you, what good reviewer doesn't every once in a while...or with every review. I'm anti-7 Wonders so that alone might be enough for many of you to burn me at the stake and feed my ashes to your arch-nemesis at your next 4th of July BBQ. But I stand by my reviews and humorous insights into the games I've put before you. Just try to find a flaw in my rock solid vulcan-esque logic. Seriously though, let me know what you think, agree or disagree, and any recommendations you might have seeing the game I do like. Thanks and happy gaming.

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/dzevin?comment=1&su...

-Dave Zevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work. I wish you were in my game group so I could convince you that you are wrong on some of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Good work. I wish you were in my game group so I could convince you that you are wrong on some of those.

I have the pleasure of having David Zevin in my game group and I can attest that those opinions of his are not going to be changing any time soon! But he has introduced me to many a fine euro so for that I am pleased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
Bagherra wrote:

I have the pleasure of having David Zevin in my game group and I can attest that those opinions of his are not going to be changing any time soon! But he has introduced me to many a fine euro so for that I am pleased.

I can be very persuasive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
If you didn't rate games a 10 out of pure nostalgia or 2 out of pure spite, or if there were just a little more analysis to the average comment, I'd be adding you to my geekbuddy comments/ratings group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Kaffedrake. Even though you're right on the money with 7 Wonders (Fairy Tale is much better) and Formula D (nice comparison!), your rose-coloured nostalgia means many of your ratings are skewed. Not geekbuddied, but I bet I'd enjoy sitting at your game table.

ps. Kudos on the good comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zevin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
See Rick, I can take critiquing. I ratcheted some of my nostalgia reviews down a notch. I only left the 1st's as 10s. And honestly I do think, the 1st Euro, 1st CCG, 1st RPG, and 1st Game (or damn near close) should get some special considerations even if they aren't at the top of my list of games to play these days. Granted the other 2 (1st's) I kept there are still pretty biased, but I got rid of the 10 rating on the most objectionable game of Monopoly. I'm afraid my hate rankings stay on principle though. devil

Thanks for the comments all. And although I did cap my reviews at 333 for now, I have actually played probably closer to 1000 games and once I track them all down and carve out some time, I will complete my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Probably deserves a 4 or 5 rating, but people's inexplicabble liking of the game forces me to make my rating out of vengeance rather than reason.

Quote:
I felt it my civic duty to all that is rational and just in this world to do my part to keep this game out of the top 10 BGG games.

Quote:
Clearly this game is not worthy of a 9, but I do loves myself some X-men

Quote:
I just can't stand to see such a good game lingering in the low 7s. Probably deserves an 8, but since all games should be rated on my scale as opposed to that of the majority voters I have taken it upon myself to remedy the average rating by rating it higher than it deserves.

This is just from looking at the top and bottom of your list.

These aren't "reviews", IMO - you're just making excuses to arbitrarily assign values to games you have a grudge against and games that you're nostalgic over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Games!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
ouch !

Robo Rally gets a 2 , while Taboo gets like 6.5 ???

Like you said "to each his own"

of course there is a few things we DO agree on...

but I would NEVER give a game a low rating because other people like it !

but anyhow, congrats on logging lots of game time !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zevin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Nik, I can objectively know when there's a game I like that won't necessarily be well-received by the general public (eg: X-men Alert) and vice-versa (eg: 7 Wonders) Some things like gameplay and replayability are much easier to judge then theme or fun factor. Like I said I make no excuses for liking the games I like and disliking the games I dislike.

Re: Mulligans, shockingly perhaps, I would in fact, rather play Taboo then Robo Rally. Does that mean I objectively think Taboo is a better game than Robo Rally, no.

But you're right about 1 thing, I shouldn't have called these reviews per se, as many of them are simply short insights, opinions or (hopefully) funny anecdotes I relate with the games. My point was not to offend, just express my opinion on what I like and why I like it. If I had more time, I would go over every game I've played and write more in depth reviews, but for now you're stuck with my sardonic witticisms and seemingly irrational hatreds for some of people's favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.