Ottawa Ronin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, do Mercs get -1 if they're hired by Universities or +1 with the Sardakk?

I assume it applies because "-1/+1 on all combat rolls" is pretty straight forward wording but it seems weird that the merc ability is altered. They're a different race.

Is there a rule about Mercs not benefiting from Racial Abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is weird, but it's true: Mercenaries of the Jol Nar and Sardakk Norr are affected. I believe it's in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Solan wrote:
It is weird, but it's true: Mercenaries of the Jol Nar and Sardakk Norr are affected. I believe it's in the FAQ.

It is. But it's goofy. And since it's so niche and would make very little difference, I'll likely ignore the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Taylor
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Waroftheringlover wrote:
I assume it applies because "-1/+1 on all combat rolls" is pretty straight forward wording but it seems weird that the merc ability is altered. They're a different race.

You could argue that they're serving under Jol Nar or Norr commanders, and the quality of those commanders could affect them. I don't see any reason to assume the bonus/penalty doesn't apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottawa Ronin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on.

Extremely helpful is the "attribute the +1/-1 to the skill of the commanders" suggestion because there is one friend I can think of who will argue any rule if he doesn't see the common sense of it.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
muthrali the relentless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackadder23 wrote:
Waroftheringlover wrote:

You could argue that they're serving under Jol Nar or Norr commanders, and the quality of those commanders could affect them. I don't see any reason to assume the bonus/penalty doesn't apply.

Well, in that case you could also argue that since all mercenary pictures depict them as members of a certain race, the Sardak Norr mercenaries would have the typical sardak bonusses "from birth". Whereas the JolNar would still be squishy, and the Naalu would still be telepatic and thus could use their retreat ability. But then again, i concur that the FAQ should be followed, and thus that race modifiers of the "hiring race" also apply to the mercenary. Plus i also like your reasoning about the commanders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.