Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Strange game that ended in step 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've just played Power Grid.
There were 5 players, 4 semi-experienced and 1 newbie. This was our first 5 player game and it was totally different from our regular 4 player games. Probably not only due to the fact that we had an extra player, but a combination of factors. I will try to explain:

After the starting power plants, all plants coming up were quite expensive and efficient. And even though I had only 3 cities at a time I couldn't help myself and bought the plant that can power 5 (I almost never do this), other followed my lead and in our second or third turn we had very efficient plants with not a lot of cities.

As a result the fuel market was always fully stocked, even the price of uranium came down to 1 at one point.

I had the best position on the map, I was alone in a more expensive region and the other four were fighting for cheap connections, and blocked out one another.

Soon the bad power plants started appearing and everybody stopped buying them. I was again a step ahead and had best plants as I was the one who could always power the most cities and had a lot of money to outbid anyone for any power plant that supplied more than 3 cities.

I expanded fast and the game ended 3 cards before we hit step 3 (I checked later).

I won with total of 16 cities powered, next player had only 13, and the last one had only 8 (and she played as many games as I did).

I know that China expansion solves the problem of strong power-plants coming up at the beginning. But I was just wondering if buying the new power plant deck will help out with this? My friend told me that those plants are better optimized, and provide a better game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

It seems like you believe there is a problem with the way this game played out, yet it sounds quite reasonable to me. Some games see the powerful plants come out early; and if the other players did not restrict the growth of your network... With more experience they will not let you run away like that.

The alternative deck is nicely balanced, but it is not intended to address "problems" - it is simply an alternative. One problem is that there are no official rules for maps like France, that specify different starting arrangements for the deck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

One problem is that there are no official rules for maps like France, that specify different starting arrangements for the deck.

Au contraire - the recently released rules for the New Power Plant Deck may be found at the 2F-Speile site
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Au contraire - the recently released rules for the New Power Plant Deck may be found at the 2F-Speile site

Ooh! Aren't you clever!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
Au contraire - the recently released rules for the New Power Plant Deck may be found at the 2F-Speile site

Ooh! Aren't you clever!
modest
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

It seems like you believe there is a problem with the way this game played out, yet it sounds quite reasonable to me. Some games see the powerful plants come out early; and if the other players did not restrict the growth of your network... With more experience they will not let you run away like that.

The alternative deck is nicely balanced, but it is not intended to address "problems" - it is simply an alternative. One problem is that there are no official rules for maps like France, that specify different starting arrangements for the deck.


I do not believe that there was a problem with the game we played. It was just not as exciting as different than the usual 4 player games we played. I win most of our games but I enjoy victory so much more when I have to fight for it, or when I win by a single point or eve a tie-breaker. I still think it was a good game, just not as good as it usually is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobmelkus wrote:
I enjoy victory so much more when I have to fight for it, or when I win by a single point or eve a tie-breaker. I still think it was a good game, just not as good as it usually is.

Interesting. I enjoy crushing my opponents into a fine powder, burning it, and making tea from the ashes.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I don't finish off my opponents before the end of Step 2, I consider it a personal failure
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
bobmelkus wrote:
I enjoy victory so much more when I have to fight for it, or when I win by a single point or eve a tie-breaker. I still think it was a good game, just not as good as it usually is.

Interesting. I enjoy crushing my opponents into a fine powder, burning it, and making tea from the ashes.


This is true. I should know, I've played 18xx with him.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
If I don't finish off my opponents before the end of Step 2, I consider it a personal failure


I did more than that... I ended the game before the end of Step 2.

I'm not going to lie, I love winning, but I play better when there is a chance of not winning. I want it so much more if others can stand up to me. This goes for any game.

When we play Railroad Tycoon, and I am ahead by 15 points throughout the game it feels like I'm playing solitaire while others are interacting and fighting with one another. But, hey, that's just the way I am.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Moriconi
Italy
Naples
NA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chally wrote:
I enjoy crushing my opponents [...] :)

I was quite sure you meant you enjoy CLOBBERIN' your opponents ^ _ ^
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trivia89 wrote:
chally wrote:
I enjoy crushing my opponents [...]

I was quite sure you meant you enjoy CLOBBERIN' your opponents ^ _ ^

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.