Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Got some questions that I don't want to hunt through the rule book to find answers for.

1a: During the terrain placement round if a group doesn't get a terrain placed are you then required to place an open ground card down? And if so do you take that from your hand or the deck?

1b: if at anytime during the game a group moves into open terrain are they required then to place a card down to indicate that?

1c: assuming you are not required to place a card down for open terrain are you still allowed to entrench? Or must you have an open terrain card placed first?

2: if during a fire mission say you're 3 cards into a 6 man group and the first deck runs out. What cards currently not in the discard pile are required to be shuffled with the deck? Example: say you fired an ordnance so you have the To Hit card (1), your opponent has a concealment card down (2), and you have the 3 fire resolution cards down (6) and you have 3 more to do. So would any of those 6 cards that are part of the current fire mission be required to be shuffled back into the deck?

You could even have a situation where:
Hero and fire card are placed (2), then opponent puts down concealment (3), then you begin firing on the 6 man group, but half-way through (6) a gun malfunctions so you do an RPN (7) then you pin a guy (8) but your opponent immediately plays a hero card (9) and right before the last guy the deck runs out (10). So can you keep all 10 cards out of the deck for the next pass? Those are things to consider depending on if you want the deck to move along as fast as possible or not.





3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1a no card is required at set-up. The "open ground" is intrinsic.
1b yes if you subsequently move into open ground you place a card on the open ground side (which is a great way to get rid of crap).
1c Yes you can entrench
2 every card on the table that was used in that fire is shuffled in.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
Got some questions that I don't want to hunt through the rule book to find answers for.

1a: During the terrain placement round if a group doesn't get a terrain placed are you then required to place an open ground card down? And if so do you take that from your hand or the deck?

1b: if at anytime during the game a group moves into open terrain are they required then to place a card down to indicate that?

1c: assuming you are not required to place a card down for open terrain are you still allowed to entrench? Or must you have an open terrain card placed first?


At the start of the game, any groups that did not receive a terrain card are considered to be in open ground for all purposed: 0 TEM, can entrench, can receive wire from opponent, etc.

Quote:
2: if during a fire mission say you're 3 cards into a 6 man group and the first deck runs out. What cards currently not in the discard pile are required to be shuffled with the deck?


All cards are shuffled into the new deck--except for those terrain/movement/wire/smoke that are in play on a group and cards removed per the scenario conditions (First five buildings...): The fire card, any heroes played to avoid pin or double FP of one man, any RNC's/RPC's drawn to resolve attacks/malfunctions, the entire discard pile etc. All of them.

On a related note: If the fire attack has started when the last card is drawn in the last deck, reshuffle the deck and conclude the attack before finishing the game.

On another note, close combat is handled slightly differently--the attack doesn't start until the RPC's are drawn to determine which man attacks which defender. That means finish all morale checks before the deck runs out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools

Following on from previous responses, if there are cards that you really don't want to see in play (such as Streams or Snipers when you can't use them, or Minefields in scenarios where they are in use by your opponent), use them as open ground just before the deck runs out. Then they don't get reshuffled (since they're not discarded until the group completes its move away from the open ground). This also applies to scenario-defined cower cards such as Buildings - as the defender you may want to reduce the number of Terrain cards that the attacker can use.

Of course, you could just keep them in your hand and not discard them until the deck finishes, but then your hand is clogged up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:

Following on from previous responses, if there are cards that you really don't want to see in play (such as Streams or Snipers when you can't use them, or Minefields in scenarios where they are in use by your opponent), use them as open ground just before the deck runs out. Then they don't get reshuffled (since they're not discarded until the group completes its move away from the open ground). This also applies to scenario-defined cower cards such as Buildings - as the defender you may want to reduce the number of Terrain cards that the attacker can use.


I think there are more cons with this tactic though. I suppose if you got entrenched and were able to lay a smoke or two on yourself then staying in open ground wouldn't be so bad. But minus 2 to your attack probably negates any benefit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
I was thinking of the defender having a small group that he is moving around - often at negative ranges like -2 or -3 - to burn cards. The French often do this, and it's useful for the German 2nd line as a way of getting rid of cower cards, which otherwise prevent any other action during the turn, or for other 2nd line who are reduced to a single discard.

But like any suggested tactic, the situation has to be right to use it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.