Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a full Explore action?

Do they need to place another influence token on the action space of the player card?

Can an influence marker be placed on the second hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be in the FAQ.

When the Planta take the Explore action, they are essentially taking two normal Explore actions back to back, using a single action disc. So they can throw the first one away and then look at the second. They could put an influence token down on one and then on the 2nd explored hex as well. Just treat it as two Explore actions taken one after another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So throwing away the first tile doesn't end the turn for Planta? That's how rules read, but I guess it is end of turn for any other species. But throwing away one Gives them flexibility to be choosy if undesirable tiles flip, so good to know right way to play them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
So throwing away the first tile doesn't end the turn for Planta? That's how rules read, but I guess it is end of turn for any other species. But throwing away one Gives them flexibility to be choosy if undesirable tiles flip, so good to know right way to play them

Not throwing anything away gives them the chance to build a homongous outer space region, particularly if the other players don't act to counter it. With their 1 extra vp per tile, that is even better than flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
still takes influence disk/ongoing income to influence the sector, so i can imagine an explore that doesnt turn up a needed resource being ignored, as the planta can overextend themselves if they arent a bit choosy. that said...if they DO throw away their first tile they see, can they continue on to look and place the second? or does their turn end as soon as the 1st is discarded? if the latter, that seems to nerf their advantage a good bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine that it doesn't end your turn. However I would have two questions/ways of looking at it.
Q1: Do they have to declare both sectors at the start of their action?
Q2: Are the explores one after the other, or the same time?

If the explores are at the same time they would have to decide what regions to explore at the start of their action.
So they put down their disc and say I am going to explore a I and a II, or two I's. If they explore 2X I, there is an issue, they only have access to one I at the start.
A) They would be saying, I am going to play one of these and discard the other, or
B) Are they allowed to place 1, influence it and then explore the 2nd I tile (assuming they have a connection to an adjacent I) after that?

If its one after the other, they can choose a sector type, explore that, influence it or discard and then choose their second explore type.

I think this needs a developer to weigh in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, looking for a developer to weigh in and make it clear how Planta are intended to work. seems to me, they should be able to do them one after the other, and discard the first and take the second action in the same sector if they want (not ending their turn if they discard the first). or explore ring 1, and if they dont get ancients and influence it, then explore the sector 1 next to it, possibly orienting the card so that it blocks out their neighbor from a straight path to the center. this ability to block out players in the early terms seems to me their main advantage, but would be MUCH less so if the explore chaining doesnt work as ive described.

another strong opening play would be to explore both left and right in sector 2, but orient it so that you dont connect to either neighbor despite being adjacent. expand but do so in a way that isolates you. then you can really grow out into sector 3 and feel pretty safe for most of the game, dropping starbases in your homeworld and pray wormhole technology isnt bought by your neighbors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planta takes one explore action, like anybody else, then does another separate explore action. The actions are played just like anybody else would, and they are completely separate.

I'm not the designer, but I've played Eclipse with them =) (and Touko murdered us with Planta).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for weighing in Mikko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
msaari wrote:
Planta takes one explore action, like anybody else, then does another separate explore action. The actions are played just like anybody else would, and they are completely separate.

I'm not the designer, but I've played Eclipse with them =) (and Touko murdered us with Planta).

'Complete' action meaning, they have to keep or discard from the first action before choosing to perform the second?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Finish one explore action, then start another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Touko Tahkokallio
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, what Mikko said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
still takes influence disk/ongoing income to influence the sector, so i can imagine an explore that doesnt turn up a needed resource being ignored, as the planta can overextend themselves if they arent a bit choosy.

I've had great success (62 points) with the planta by just placing such a sector, influencing it and exploring the next one. Then, in the upkeep phase, I abandoned most of my outer hexes (kept a supernova and one other tile).

Near the end of the game, I massed a lot of money. On the final two turns, I influenced all the empty hexes in my pocket universe.

Next time someone plays planta in our group, everyone else will be scrambling for outer tiles before the planta grabs them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strategy time: do you find it more effective in early turns to explore sector 1 or 2 and try and block off neighbors and hope for good tiles there, or do you go straight to exploring sector 3? seems exploring sector 1 and 2 may help fend off easy access to your system, but also makes you more a target if your blocking really interferes with their plans. if you explore 2 sector 1 hexes in turn 1 and block your neighbors access to center, they may feel the need for revenge Id think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
Yes. Finish one explore action, then start another.

So if they choose to not place the first, they can try agian on the same place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So if they choose to not place the first, they can try agian on the same place?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.